Smoke test? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourspeedman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2021, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Smoke test?

I have an annoying P0455 code again. A gross evap leak. New gas cap, replaced a bunch of squishy fittings, not finding the leak. So I made a YouTube home made smoke pump. It actually works. Now, what am I looking for? The Leak Detection Pump filter smokes like crazy so is it supposed to when the engine is off? I looked all along the chassis and no smoke anywhere else. The steel tube that connects the gas tank to the charcoal canister is about as rusty as can be. I will replace that but it did not smoke either. I used the test port that is on the purge solenoid lines for the smoke connection. That is the right way I assume?

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2021, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I yanked that rusty tube going to the gas tank. It may have been one of those leaks that leaks under negative but not positive pressure. Replaced with some 1/4" gas/vapor hose. Keeping fingers crossed.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2021, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Success! Passed emissions test, no codes, all monitors good to go. Looks like that rusty-azz tube was the culprit. This is the video of what the thing looked like. As he says- which of these is most likely to be leaking?
Mine was just as bad. Yet it did not show any smoke when I tested. I removed the gas cap and smoke came out of there yet not that tube. This how I made a smoke pump.
But I upped the game. Instead of a glass jar I used a gallon paint can. I had a big old soldering iron, some real hose fittings,and I used an old bar-b-que propane regulator to bring my compressor air down to a usable level. The service fitting with the green cap says not to exceed 1psi and the propane regulator did a good job doing that. I toss a rag in the can, pour in some baby oil, plug in the soldering iron, and it smokes like crazy. I hooked the hose to the service port with an old squishy Jeep vacuum elbow but a proper adapter would work better. You must remove the reverse threaded schrader valve first. Here is my working smoke pump I built for free.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0214.jpg  
Saudade likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in