Severe death wobble stock '99 XJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM
TDougsxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also stearing stabilizer alone will not fix death wobble, and they seldom ever wear out, so don't waste your money there. If you must there is a RC one on Amazon that is beefier than the stock..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced my steering damper with the basic monroe damper that you can get at any parts store for about $25. Even that one is about 3x beefier than the stock one i pulled out.

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH
post #18 of 18 Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just finished completely rebuilding the front end of my '99 since it was also exhibiting DW. If you are doing it yourself, it's not that bad, except for the upper control arm bushings on the axle. Those are a major pain in the ***. I replaced all rubber with poly. An air chisel makes it pretty easy work to get the old bushings out. an easier option for the control arms is the buy new ones with the bushings already put in. I did the upper control arm/axle side with the axle still in. If I had to do it again, I would probably drop the axle. Another option would be to do everything except the UCA/axle side and take it to a shop for that piece. If you don't use poly, you will have to get a ball joint press to get the old ones out/new ones in. With poly, you reuse the metal sleeves and most people push the metal pin out and burn the bushing out. That's what I did. For me, complete list was:
Lower control arm bushing: repalced with poly
Upper control arm bushings: replaced with poly.
replaced all other front linkages: tie rods and track bar
replaced steering damper
Replaced axle ujoints: mine were toast. did the driveshaft at the same time
replaced ball joints: mine were toast
repalced shocks all around.

torquing the lower control arm bolts is a pain. they are spec'd to 133 ft/lbs. Had to use a ratchet strap to get a few of them since you want the vehicle on the ground with the full weight before you tighten those guys.

If I did it agin, I owuld just go stock rubber and skip the poly. The thrust washers on the upper control arms just don't seem to fit correctly. All others were very easy once the old bushings came out.

Front end is solid now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in