Selec-Trac XJ stuck in 4-wheel? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Selec-Trac XJ stuck in 4-wheel?

Took the ol' XJ out for a spin and popped 'er in to 4WD Hi Full-Time (open diff) to move some fluid around the gears. Normal road/highway use. Coming off an exit rolling to a red light about 5 mph I popped the trans into neutral and tried to shift the xfer case back into 2-wheel and it wouldn't go past 4WD Hi Part-Time (closed diff). Tried all sorts of other iterations like driving around in 4WD Hi Part-Time, 4WD Lo Part-Time. Backed up in reverse in all... etc. The transfer case cycles through all the various 4WDs fine, doesn't grind or get stuck, it just won't go back into 2WD. For what it is worth the dash light indicator for 4WD Hi Part-Time does not come on. It works for 4WD Hi Full-Time (says "full time" in green) when engaged. And here's the kicker, the "full time" indicator comes on when 4WD Lo Part-Time is engaged. I can tell based on feel that Part-Time Hi and Lo are working properly when engaged, the dash indicator just doesn't coincide.

Any thoughts as to what the heck is going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 07:16 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

To start off, when not used regularly, both the NP 231 and the NP 242 (with Full-Time) can be stubborn to shift back to 2wd. Worn out u-joints, worn out t-case shifter bushings, and worn out internal t-case shift fork tabs can also cause or contribute to the stubbornness. Since you can tell the mode the t-case is in by feel, then the issue is likely with the t-case internals, but you should confirm the floor shifter bushings are not worn out or damaged, and that the shifter is properly adjusted.

I would block the tires, put the transmission in neutral with the engine OFF, disconnect the floor shifter, and shift the Mode Lever on the transfer case by hand to 2wd. 2wd is forward/up on the Mode Lever. You may have to back up on dirt/grass/gravel 50 feet or more to convince the t-case to shift back into 2wd. You can then try adjusting the floor shifter for proper t-case shifting.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, Tim. Any guesses as to why the dash light mode indicator is not working properly?

post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 08:51 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The mode indicator switch might be faulty, or the t-case might be only partially engaged in the modes due to shifter mechanism bushing issues or misadjustment.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. So the mode indicator light is a different system than the dimmer switch? Asking because I need to remove and clean the dimmer switch. The dash lights go dark if I turn the dimmer below full brightness.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The mode indicator light is a different system and is triggered by a mechanical/electrical switch on the transfer case.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

all same size tires? Transfer case full of lube?

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That stuff above is from the manual.

Here's how I recommend you shift.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Peaked inside the center console and found a broken zip tie. Suspect it may have been preventing the shift lever from going all the way down. But to be honest I hammered down on the lever the last few attempts to get in back in 2WD so there's a chance I bent the damn thing. Considering swapping out the linkage as the truck is already on its second OEM linkage (1st from factory, 2nd put in a decade ago to solve a rattling lever). Research reveals near universal agreement the factory design leaves a lot to be desired. Poking around on the web I stumbled upon this cable system from Novak. At first glance it appears to be a superior engineered product than OE but I'm not keen on tearing up the carpet to install the bracket. Figured with as much CNC'ing JCR does they would offer a replacement shift linkage. No dice from what I saw on their site. Can anyone here recommend and vouch for an aftermarket replacement shift link setup?

Novak cable shift linkage
post #10 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 06:05 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use this one >> www.boostwerksengineering.com

post #11 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Looks like it's for a 231. I have the NP242. Any knowledge whether it'll work?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 05:06 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This one is for the 242.

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...-V20_p_27.html

post #13 of 13 Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Thanks. Noticed Boostwerks 231 kit differs from the 242 kit slightly. The key operative phrase is when the instructions say "removing and drilling" the shifter is required for 242 kit. Didn't see this phrase for the 231 instructions.

And a few YouTube vids don't suggest it is required. However, for the 242 carpet removal is required according to at least one YouTuber.

NP231

NP242

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in