Scorpion roller rocker arms installation - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MaskedMallard
  • 1 Post By tburger88
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-14-2021, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Scorpion roller rocker arms installation

I’m putting in 1.7:1 non adjustable roller rockers on my new Clearwater cylinder head and the instructions from scorpion suck. 2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L. What do I do with the steel channel parts - circled in the pic below?

Attached Images
 
tburger88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 09-14-2021, 09:58 AM
Saudade
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,713
Its a WJ but still has the same engine. Note the position of those plates at the 4:25 mark.

Saudade is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-14-2021, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Its a WJ but still has the same engine. Note the position of those plates at the 4:25 mark.

awesome - thanks!
tburger88 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 09-15-2021, 05:43 AM
MaskedMallard
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 813
Garage
Xj

I started to do a little research on Aluminum rockers, & I found this.

Used on a daily driven engine with a stock valvetrain, the rockers will last approximately 20,000-30,000 miles with regular oil changes. Since you run your engines for 250,000-plus miles, you would end up replacing aluminum rockers quite often.

Can someone explain a bit more? I didn't realize these go fast goodies had a short life expectancy.
kerian159 likes this.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MaskedMallard is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2021, 02:58 PM
2oldjeeps
Registered User
 
2oldjeeps's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,120
ez to predict an ongoing story here

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
2oldjeeps is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
I started to do a little research on Aluminum rockers, & I found this.

Used on a daily driven engine with a stock valvetrain, the rockers will last approximately 20,000-30,000 miles with regular oil changes. Since you run your engines for 250,000-plus miles, you would end up replacing aluminum rockers quite often.

Can someone explain a bit more? I didn't realize these go fast goodies had a short life expectancy.
wow that’s bad; I guess I’ll clean up and hold on to my stock rocker arms. 😳
tburger88 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Done. They look good but I hope they last. That Lucas assembly lube looks really blue.
Attached Thumbnails
A0C118BE-EA18-42CD-93D9-E9A8A9C77839_1631875446530.jpg  
tburger88 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
I started to do a little research on Aluminum rockers, & I found this.

Used on a daily driven engine with a stock valvetrain, the rockers will last approximately 20,000-30,000 miles with regular oil changes. Since you run your engines for 250,000-plus miles, you would end up replacing aluminum rockers quite often.

Can someone explain a bit more? I didn't realize these go fast goodies had a short life expectancy.
If the above estimate was from Summit Racing, they later put out this retraction:

Department of correction
Last issue, we fielded a question from Bill Hunter concerning using aluminum roller rocker arms in a daily driven street motor. We advised him that the rockers would only last 20-30000 miles with an otherwise stock valve train.
Well we were wrong. On a daily driver with stock valve train, most roller rockers will much last longer. In fact crane cams warrenties there rockers to 100,000 miles. on racing engines with high valve spring pressure and or oil restrictors that limit upper engine oiling, rocker arm life can be considerably shorter.
We apologize for any confusion our origional answer may have caused.
tburger88 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 06:23 AM
kerian159
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 146
Garage
Just out of curiosity what do you gain by changing out to these over the stock rockers?

"Growing Older, but not Up"
kerian159 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
tburger88
Junior Member
 
tburger88's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerian159 View Post
Just out of curiosity what do you gain by changing out to these over the stock rockers?
installation is a little easier and a bit more power. I had to change over to new head when my old one cracked, otherwise I never would have bought roller rockers
kerian159 likes this.
tburger88 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 09-17-2021, 04:41 PM
MaskedMallard
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 813
Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
I started to do a little research on Aluminum rockers, & I found this.

Used on a daily driven engine with a stock valvetrain, the rockers will last approximately 20,000-30,000 miles with regular oil changes. Since you run your engines for 250,000-plus miles, you would end up replacing aluminum rockers quite often.

Can someone explain a bit more? I didn't realize these go fast goodies had a short life expectancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburger88 View Post
If the above estimate was from Summit Racing, they later put out this retraction:

Department of correction
Last issue, we fielded a question from Bill Hunter concerning using aluminum roller rocker arms in a daily driven street motor. We advised him that the rockers would only last 20-30000 miles with an otherwise stock valve train.
Well we were wrong. On a daily driver with stock valve train, most roller rockers will much last longer. In fact crane cams warrenties there rockers to 100,000 miles. on racing engines with high valve spring pressure and or oil restrictors that limit upper engine oiling, rocker arm life can be considerably shorter.
We apologize for any confusion our origional answer may have caused.
Good to know. Thank You for digging that up & posting that correction.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MaskedMallard is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 09-18-2021, 08:27 AM
Saudade
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,713
The roller rockers are lighter, stronger, and reduce friction. I think the stock rocker arm ratio is 1.6:1 so the longer arm gives a bit more lift like a mild cam.

As noted above, beneficial (even necessary) in high(er) output motor application. In a stock XJ, maybe not.
Saudade is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 09-22-2021, 10:58 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor
 
rep-tile's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bakersfield
Posts: 1,633
A ticking bomb. On the positive, 4.0 is non interference. That should spare your valves and pistons.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

2020 RECOUNT
rep-tile is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-04-2021, 04:08 AM
mhjo
Registered User
 
mhjo's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 271
I have the 1.7 non adjustabe Scorpions in my engine and they work fine.

2000 Sport, K/N, 12 hole injectors, Viper Coil Mod, 62mm TB
mhjo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome