Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

scanner

848 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dewey Dog 
#1 ·
Good Morning all,

I am looking to get a new scanner. I know there are many out there, I also know I will get about a thousand different recommendations but what do you all recommend?

Thanks all.

#2 ·
I own an older version of this one.

https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-30105...ocphy=9003389&hvtargid=pla-568238560550&psc=1

At least I think it is. LOL.
I can view and graph live data with mine too.
At least I am pretty sure I can. I know for sure I can view live data.
It was reasonably priced, about $35 7 years ago, but there was one reason I chose it.
I found a video of a guy putting one through its paces when researching it.
He did it on an '00 XJ in the video.
And since that is the exact vehicle I wanted it for purchased it. LOL.
Sad thing is that it is overkill for me.
Just cause I can look at the live data does not mean I know how to interpret it so...... LOL.

#5 ·
I own an ancient Snap On 2500. When I rebuilt my 4.0 and I needed to verify that the cam/crank sensors were in sync, this tool was the only one I had that would do it. These can be had cheaply but you need the cartridges for your year/make vehicle. I also have an OTC 3111 PRO that was very good. I now have an AUTEL Maxi-Scan that I think is the best of them all. You can graph everything and it came in just under $200.

#6 ·
Responding to an old post but have to start somewhere. I just purchased a 2021 GC L Limited. Today I took out my Autel Pro 806 and it would not read or connect properly. I called Autel and they told me that as of 2017, Jeep/Chrysler/Ram/Dodge implemented a module called Security Gateway Module keeping the Autel from connecting. They suggested that I contact a company they partner with called AutoAuth that can help me hack into the system with an upgraded Autel "tablet" and then I would be able to scan my new jeep. Any thoughts or advice on new scanner I can use ($300 range) that will connect to my Jeep? Especially if it can do so w/o having to go thru AutoAuth.