Rusty's 4.5in Lift Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Question Rusty's 4.5in Lift Questions

I have done some googling and the only info I can find was back in 2008. I'm pretty sure they have changed in quality since then. I am wondering if the 4.5in lift is a good one. I also want to get their tie rod conversion. I also have some 32" tires I plan to run. I have an 01 Cherokee sport that is a 90% daily driver, but when I go offroading, I really like to go to difficult places. People used to really complain, but is there anyone who has done the lift recently? It looks a really good deal. I'm really wondering how the daily driving is feeling. Im also wondering if I should drop the shocks, upgrade their shocks to their mono-tube RX800, or just go Bilstiens 5200's....

Links I'm looking at....
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...anced-kit.html
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...onversion.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't hate any of my Jeeps enough to put any Rusty's products on them. You'd be much better off with a Zone 4.5" lift.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Really!? I had no idea they were that bad.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

They're not! I have 60k miles on mine and still running the base level shocks it came with and everything is fine.

D3<!L!>3D
post #5 of 10 Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
They're not! I have 60k miles on mine and still running the base level shocks it came with and everything is fine.
You have lower standards (JK), It's all just opinions. They're one step below RC. The JF XJ forum is way less vocal than the TJ side, when it comes to buying garbage parts. Bilstein shocks are some of the worst at handling small bumps, yet the XJ/WJ forums think they're top of the food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running the Rusty's 4.5" short arm on a 2001. Get adjustable uppers. Full lift is 5" in front and appears to be 5.5-6" in rear. Improved track bar is a must as the factory TRE is junk at these lift heights. I've got over 75k miles on one Rusty's lift and a couple of thousand on this one with minimal problems associated to the lift itself. I'm also running Bilsteins on both my TJ and this XJ. My TJ is sprung really soft and the Bilsteins work well. I can't say they are the best because I haven't run them all, but they perform exceptionally well on road and off. I am finding the rear shocks on the XJ are a little stiff, but to be fair, they are not for that application and I will be changing to another pair of 5100 when I relocate the shocks in a couple of weeks.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
I'm running the Rusty's 4.5" short arm on a 2001. Get adjustable uppers. Full lift is 5" in front and appears to be 5.5-6" in rear. Improved track bar is a must as the factory TRE is junk at these lift heights. I've got over 75k miles on one Rusty's lift and a couple of thousand on this one with minimal problems associated to the lift itself. I'm also running Bilsteins on both my TJ and this XJ. My TJ is sprung really soft and the Bilsteins work well. I can't say they are the best because I haven't run them all, but they perform exceptionally well on road and off. I am finding the rear shocks on the XJ are a little stiff, but to be fair, they are not for that application and I will be changing to another pair of 5100 when I relocate the shocks in a couple of weeks.
Very cool. I'm finding a lot of people saying that Rusty's is really good. Even better than RE. I think I'm going with them. I'm going to get their 4.5 advanced kit, with the boomerang shackles for the leafs. I think I'm going to go with their rx100's shocks just to see how good they are. Billstien had a pretty bad warenty, so I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now on that.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is pretty straight forward. I would recommend, again, upgrading the track bar. Watch the rear springs. The 4 1/2" provide PLENTY of lift with stock shackles and mounting positions. If you're considering running shackle relocators, this is the time to do so...before you order rear springs. Rusty's will usually work with you to get the kit right for your needs. The RX-100 shocks work well.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
It is pretty straight forward. I would recommend, again, upgrading the track bar. Watch the rear springs. The 4 1/2" provide PLENTY of lift with stock shackles and mounting positions. If you're considering running shackle relocators, this is the time to do so...before you order rear springs. Rusty's will usually work with you to get the kit right for your needs. The RX-100 shocks work well.
Thanks for the advice! I ended up ordering their advanced 4.5 kit. On their website, I could not switch things around, so I called and they were cool. I needed new shackles, so they gave me the 3" leaf springs with the boomerang shackles (1.5" lift), got the rx100's. I asked the guy about getting their 200's and he talked me out of it. Said they weren't good for me with my driving. I rarely get a salesman do that. I was almost ready to buy them too. The kit looks really great. Leaf spring shims and tcase drop. New break lines, upper and lower control arms, coil springs, quick sway bar disconnects, adjustable track arm... Best kit I have seen out their. I went dirtbound offroads 1ton high steering kit. Looks great. I've seen it on a few rigs steady, I really liked how it drove.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage

Tags
4.5in lift , cherokee , rusty's offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in