Running hot, Need advice... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Running hot, Need advice...

I've had this 96 4.0L for about a month or so now, engine has ran fine, although It always seemed like it ran hot (or at least hotter than my honda) when I'd pop the hood after a drive, but the temp gauge always started at the first line 110 I think Then while driving it would always rest on the line between 110 and the 210. One time the coolant reservoir tank was low so I filled it back up no issues. The a/c didn't work when I bought it so i charged it up with freon, and the next day it left a large puddle on the driveway, so I hit it again, no issues and the air works fine. Seems like when I run the a/c and am parked the temp runs up to 210 and the aux fan comes on and it goes back down (normal I assume). Recently I moved from Minnesota to Ontario and had to drive it about 900 miles to get there no issues again other than gas mileage :/ anyway since I've been here I noticed a brownish watery puddle on the driveway one day. Popped the hood and looked to be leaking somewhere under the p/s pump while running, the coolant reservoir tank was below the LOW line so I filled it up and it hasn't leaked any since. I've been meaning to flush the coolant but haven't got the time or the know how yet. It's also developed a squeak while driving, after some research I am guessing it's the harmonic balancer it looks slightly wobbly but now I'm wondering if it's not the water pump. Now it's getting worse as when I start up the belt squeals for a bit. Not sure if thats retaliated but anyway, today after a 15 minute drive with the a/c off it was running just under the 210 line and I could hear the aux fan coming on and off. When I got home I had wondered If I had lost coolant so I popped the hood coolant was fine but it was putting off some good heat waited awhile and cranked it up temp gauge read between 110 and 210 normal. But the engine bay just felt hotter that normal, oil was good but when I took off the fill cap a little white smoke/steam? Came out not sure how normal that is?? I'm no mechanic but I've learned a lot since owning this jeep, it's my dd right now and I'm on a tight budget until I get started with my new job. No lights, other gauges seem normal, just wondering what I can do or any simple tests I can run to figure out if everything is working right I'm just trying to knock out the most important stuff first and catch any potential problems before something big hits. Help or advice would be greatly appreciated for some peace of mind, thanks and sorry for writing a novel!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 AM
TheJeepGuy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my water pump replaced a couple months ago, and then just recently replaced the thermostat. Take your old thermostat, put in boiling water with a thermometer and see what temp the stat opens up, and see if it opens a little bit, all the way, or doesn't open at all. If it doesn't open up all the way, go buy one for $5 bucks and put that sucker in. My old one would open up just a little bit so I put a 195 degree thermostat in my jeep and she loves it now. Hits 195 degrees and doesn't go up any higher!
post #3 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok will have to do that but now I got more coolant on the driveway. The reservoir tank is lower than it was yesterday looks like it's coming from the passenger side now under the alternator somewhere the lower radiator hose seems fine not wet.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Approx 210 on the gauge is NORMAL operating temp. Service and inspect your cooling system if you think something is wrong.

96 XJ 4.0 / 231 / 3.5" JY Lift/ 31" BFG /.....
93 VT1100 - Harley killer.
97 ZJ 4.0 / 242 / Stock
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so in the pic I'd be looking at the thermostat with the 2 hoses going into it correct? And the water pump is beneath it? As per the Haynes manual cooling system troubleshooting area I felt the upper radiator hose and it feels very hot. With all the symptoms leaking, running hot, squeaking while driving I'm thinking it's time to replace the water pump.
Attached Images

post #6 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, the part with the large and small hose on the passenger side and the temp sensor on the driver's side is the thermostat housing. Remove that to replace the thermostat. The part directly underneath is the water pump. At this point, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the water pump and thermostat and get it filled up with nice clean coolant.

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok looks like this will be fun... Any advice is it a pretty straight forward job? Well I kno that any job on this XJ is never simple due to rust and corrosion.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Chances are good that your new water pump won't come with a pulley, so make sure you break the bolts loose on your pulley before you take the belt off - it will be easier to take off that way.

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-31-2014, 12:25 AM
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on loosening the bolts on the pump first. i was also advised to replace my clutch fan while i was in there. wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out your cooling system before replacing anything.

KCCO!
post #10 of 18 Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

And at least a lower rad hose, lots easier to do it with the fans and shrouds out of it. 210 is normal, sounds like the e-fan is working properly, might also be a good idear to put a new fan clutch on it while you are in it and summer is around the corner. If you choose to do the clutc, IMHO, buy a Chrysler one, NOT a Hayden or LPS one.

Volunteer, American Society of Military History. http://tankland.com/
Just got a 1989 YJ too!
post #11 of 18 Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 PM
redfalcon302

Sounds like these guys are spot on with their diagnosis. I've done a bit of a write up on water pump installation on a '96 Cherokee 4.0 if you'd like to check it out. Click here for the link. I have a '98 with some cooling problems as well (who doesn't have cooling problems on these things?!) so I'll stay connected here for advice.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks guys for the help. My serpentine belt slipped off yesterday while driving, thankfully less than a mile from where I was going. I got it back on this morning but when I started it up it just walked off to the edge again so I'll have to get it towed and work on it this weekend. While it was off I noticed the water pump pulley had lots of play in it. Are the bearings in the water pump or the pulley itself?
post #13 of 18 Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 AM
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The bearings are in the pump. Put a new belt on it too.

Volunteer, American Society of Military History. http://tankland.com/
Just got a 1989 YJ too!
post #14 of 18 Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok good just checking to make sure I didn't need the pulley to. I got the necessary parts and will probably be working on it a bit day by day. I got a car to use in the meantime so not a huge rush. I already drained the coolant from the rad and reservoir and broke the bolts loose on the pulley. I was gonna try to get the coolant drain on the block but it looks like it would be a nasty fight to get it off, so not sure if it's necessary to drain that as well.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
SpruntXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey btw what's this?? Broke it loosening a hose. Got the old pump off ready to put the new one on, got a new thermostat and belt as well. The old pump was toast, the impeller was rubbing against the body of the pump.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in