Running A/C makes steering wheel lock up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-05-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
tiltedfedora
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Running A/C makes steering wheel lock up

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask for some advice on an odd mechanical problem I've been having. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so please forgive any errors of imprecise wording or outright mistakes.

So, My Xj Cherokee (4L) has developed a new, interesting problem. For the past few months, whenever I ran the A/C (or window defroster), I heard a terrible screeching noise until I cycled it on and off a few times. Now, it is still making that noise, but when it does my steering wheel locks up like it would if the engine wasn't running. I haven't tried cycling the A/C on and off to see if it eventually goes away.

Also, when I run my vents (no A/C or defrost) I still get the noise, but my steering wheel doesn't lock up.

I'm a little perplexed by this issue. I keep saying that I'm going to "take a look" but I don't really know what it is I'm looking for, not in this case at least.

Maybe this is a simple fix and I'm just a dolt lol. Let me know what you all think, and thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2018, 02:14 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Your defroster utilizes the AC compressor, SO it is likely a compressor or just a loose belt (less likely) issue.
SO check belts, may be loose.
Another check would be to unplug the AC compressor for a test - A seized compressor or AC clutch an improper AC charge could create a HIGH pressure problem, as belt slips creating the noise and lack of PS.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-06-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
tiltedfedora
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks jtec!

I will definitely be checking the belts and compressor soon. Its very helpful to know that either could cause a high pressure problem that affects the power steering; and I certainly wouldn't have guessed that on my own.

Thanks again!

Tags
air conditioning , cherokee 4.0 engine , steering , weird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in