Replace headers... tune up... anything else? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replace headers... tune up... anything else?

Have a cracked Banks torque tube on my '98 XJ. Credit to Banks they sent me a replacement free of charge. I'm going to be spending some time under hood and under the vehicle for that matter. Figure I might as well address a few things while I'm in there. While the manifolds are off any thoughts on porting/polishing the intake and exhaust ports? Also, what are everyone's thoughts on installing a custom fabricated head pipe? From what I can tell that's the choke point in the exhaust system. I have a Magnaflow cat-back in addition to the Banks header.

While I have the tools out I figure she could use new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Any guidance on brands that are best for the 4.0L? And lastly, is there any benefit to beefing up the distributor to MSD or another manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 PM
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I saw a video where they had an engine hooked up to a dyno.

They ran a baseline, then bashed the heck out of the headers.
(WAY worse than the crush in the down pipe on our engines.)
The result: practically no drop in HP or TQ.

Only difference was they used a V8.

Also, some people recommend insulating the headers... might as well do it before installing
post #3 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's good Banks sent a new one. That will crack too. No noticeable gains to be had in a 4.0 without a stroker or supercharger. I've always used Autolite AP-985 plugs in my 97-99' Jeeps and APP-985 plugs for 00' and newer. Accel wires.They (plugs) last 100,000 miles and I've never had problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cracks Jeep 4.0L exhaust manifolds are very often caused by weak motor mounts, while you have the room, install some fresh ones, here is where an upgrade is money well spent. Exhaust wrap promotes rust.

The Jeep 4.0L is old school tech and responds well to basic hotrodding: cat back exhaust, header, cold air intake, 4 hole injectors, polished head. Exhaust mods first, then intake. No super duper distributor or coil is helpful or necessary. The down pipe is fine as-is.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM
75SV1

I do run the MDS coil and Magnecor wires. KOLAK sells a kit for this. I can't say either way if it improves stuff or not. I am running a Doug Thorley ceramic coated header. Also, a 2.5 exhaust. When I upgraded the down or crossover pipe, it helped. Remove the dent from yours if stock one. Don't know of any upgrade for the distributor. Should be good as is. Taylor brand wires are suppose to be good. I did bore the Throttle body to 60mm. It helped. Still, I think the exhaust work let the TB make things better. I did put on a BKK 62 mm TB. Can't say it helped. I did have Ford 4 hole Injectors. Mainly they smoothed out the engine. I just installed Bosch 12 holes, you would need an adapters for your '98. Seemed like a bit more power. I haven't checked MPG.
Motor mounts, Iron Rock, MORE, Brown Dog, Ironman 4X4 Frabrication and others sell upgraded mounts.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone. Thought about a wrap and heard about the rust thing. Thinking I may take the headers to be ceramic coated. Appreciate the heads up on motor mounts. Will look at them. Any recommendations on brands? Polyurethane vs rubber?

What’s everyone’s take on porting while intake and exhaust manifolds are off? Is this possible without pulling the head off?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998XJLtd View Post
Thanks everyone. Thought about a wrap and heard about the rust thing. Thinking I may take the headers to be ceramic coated. Appreciate the heads up on motor mounts. Will look at them. Any recommendations on brands? Polyurethane vs rubber?

What’s everyone’s take on porting while intake and exhaust manifolds are off? Is this possible without pulling the head off?
Rubber. Any of the one I mentioned before. You do not have to get the brackets. I do have the full Brown Dog. I also have the upper bushing from MORE.
I have wrapped a header before. It does work, but the rust was bad. I did have those headers Jet Coated. Seemed about the same temp reduction results.. As to if the performance mods work, I trust Dino Silva's diary. From his account 220 hp is about max on a stock motor.

Edit: Might look at this MPG thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...5-ats-1551782/
Lots of good info. I usually find MPG goes up to some extent with slight HP gain. As for a cap and rotor, get one with brass.
Full porting, you'd have to take off the head. You might be able to port match. Also, the 99+ intake is worth a look. Some have had dyno results from +5 to +12 on a stroker.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 AM
75SV1

I measured the pipe on my '00 XJ. Its OD 2.5. Might be an easy swap. Get an aftermarket header to cover the earlier exhaust ports. The support is attached to the trans. Don't know if it would be an improvement or not.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 12:55 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Change the fan clutch, they wear out and it is money better spent than coating headers.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
1998XJLtd

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Change the fan clutch, they wear out and it is money better spent than coating headers.
Good idea. Was thinking of adding a Hesco high flow water pump also in order to improve overall cooling efficiency. My rig, like many 4.0s, is not fond of low speeds with the A/C on. Anyone have experience with the product below? Are there any other required parts necessary to make the broader system perform best (new t-stat, etc.)?

http://www.hesco.us/products/7967/hi...5#.XWnigPZFyAg
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 AM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998XJLtd View Post

Brown Dog, rubber. That is what I put on mine and they have been nice.

Replace your transmission mount as well. Everything will feel sturdier and possibly quieter for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in