Renix cooling system upgrade? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Renix cooling system upgrade?

I've got an overheating Renix XJ and looking to kill two birds with one stone. Rather than replacing the radiator with another closed one, and then replacing my leaking pressure bottle, I want to swap one in from a newer Cherokee with the cap on the radiator. I've found a few threads and articles around in the past, but for the life of me, can't find them now, and don't have time to look for it now.

So, question time... What all do I need. 1 or 2 row radiator? Will I need a different thermostat? Can I just run my heater core hoses straight from the engine to the core without the valving or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of God
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Thanks. More specific searches yielded me nothing.

Quote:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

No one?

Quote:

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I believe the easiest way to convert is by splicing a conventional rad cap adapter into the top rad hose and running a tube from the new rad to a bottom fill, non-pressurized overflow bottle.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Add an inline fill to the top rad hose, and replace the heater hoses with regular ones that dont have the metal sections, or just cut the t-sections out and lenghten your heater hoses. Did this to my 90 and hasnt over heated since. Those plastic bottles really suck.
Or you could get the rad with the cap, and run the heater hoses straight to the heater core......also replace your t-stat while your doing this they are cheap enough.

97 xj bone stock 5 speed
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
Add an inline fill to the top rad hose, and replace the heater hoses with regular ones that dont have the metal sections, or just cut the t-sections out and lenghten your heater hoses. Did this to my 90 and hasnt over heated since. Those plastic bottles really suck.
Or you could get the rad with the cap, and run the heater hoses straight to the heater core......also replace your t-stat while your doing this they are cheap enough.
Well, the thermostat was going to get replaced, but I wanted to know whether or not I should be getting a different temp, and whether or not the number of rows my radiator had would affect it. I am also planning on replacing the radiator considering the fact that its overheating and how DISGUSTING the coolant was this last winter (that sludged up my heater core something awful).

Quote:
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Closed or open system, 1, 2, 3 row rad or temp of t-stat will have nothing to do with the prevention of a cruded-up cooling system.....that's a maintenance issue (or rather lack of).
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clickerson View Post
and don't have time to look for it now.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cherokee+xj+radiator+swap

Tags
cooling , overheating , radiator , renix , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in