Rear leaf spring replacement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KF4SQB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Parks67

Garage
Rear leaf spring replacement

Hello, I have just replaced the front shocks on my '95 xj. I am about to replace the rear shocks as well and I'm wondering if I should replace the leaf springs also? If so, is there and certain brand better than others and should I get new hangers and all? I just bought this jeep and it is showing 225k mikes. I'm just planning to slowly start replacing worn out parts with new ones to get this thing back as nice and dependable as possible! I suspect the springs have never been replaced? Any helpful opinions or information with this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 04:21 AM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum. I'm also interested in any replies about the springs. I'm looking at variable compression rear shocks to soften the ride. The fronts are new, I'll hold off on them for a year or so until these fail. The roads here are terrible.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are the leaf springs sagging ? The springs should not be flat or sagged into an upside down U. Originally the factory installed leaf springs measured 17.0 inches from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender flare.

For a stock XJ Cherokee, Crown Automotive leaf springs will be fine. You should probably replace the spring shackle if the bolt is not seized.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK View Post
I'm looking at variable compression rear shocks to soften the ride.
I run these on my Rubicon.
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Designed and manufactured out of the U.S. Rancho RS9000XL shocks come out of the box with 9 adjustable settings. Designed to keep the soft OEM feel when daily driving while still offering a firm adjustment, suitable for off-roading and towing. Making adjustments to these shocks are as simple as twisting the knob on the side. Choosing from 1-9 positions, 1 being the softest and 9 being the firmest option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2020, 07:06 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I used a set of rear leaves out of an 01 4X4 GMC compact Jimmy in the rear of my XJ. Minimal modifications needed. I simply had to trim the bushing in one end of each spring (stock, they are wider than the spring itself; I simply cut it down to "spring width" with an angle grinder), and drill a new center pin hole in my stock spring perches, as the center pin was, IIRC, about 5/8" further to the rear than the stock one. Don't quote me on that measurement, or the direction, check yourself before drilling! This did not give me any lift; it simply returned my Jeep to stock height. Ride is very good, handling is better, and it pulls trailers 100 times better than before. I'm not talking about a "bastard pack" here, but a direct, part-for-part swap to the Jimmy springs.
JWELK likes this.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in