Rear End Upgrade - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
rhythmrocker

Rear End Upgrade

I have a '88 Jeep XJ, non-limited slip rear end.
What upgrades are possible other than the real expensive ones like this: https://www.currieenterprises.com/je...ch-rear-axle-2

Is there another model Jeep where the rear will bolt right in without having to do mods?
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 01:30 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

By upgrade, do you mean a stronger axle ? The only bolt in rear axles are from another XJ Cherokee.

The XJ Cherokee Dana 44 is certainly an upgrade, and the XJ Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline axle shafts is almost as strong as a Dana 44, and much easier to find.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
rhythmrocker

Does the Dana 44 install require any modifications to the truck - underneath bolting, attachments, emergency brake, etc.??
Will it interface "gear-wise" with the existing RENIX automatic transmission?
Will there be any change in MPG or torque?
Thanks for your time.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
rhythmrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
By upgrade, do you mean a stronger axle ? The only bolt in rear axles are from another XJ Cherokee.

The XJ Cherokee Dana 44 is certainly an upgrade, and the XJ Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline axle shafts is almost as strong as a Dana 44.
Does the Dana 44 install require any modifications to the truck - underneath bolting, attachments, emergency brake, etc??
Will it interface "gear-wise" with the existing RENIX automatic transmission?
Will there be any change in MPG or torque?
Thanks for your time.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 05:55 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Either XJ Cherokee axle housing will be a simple bolt in job. The drive shaft, parking brake cables, and the brake line plumbing may need minor changes. As long as the axle gear ratio of the "new" axle matches the original axle, the transmission and the rest of the Jeep will not notice anything different. For all 4x4's front axle and rear axle gear ratios must match.

not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2021, 08:25 AM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What are you looking to do? Are you just looking for a locker or other LSD for some light wheeling? Are you going hard core rock crawler? Do you plan to use a lift and bigger tires?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
rhythmrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
What are you looking to do? Are you just looking for a locker or other LSD for some light wheeling? Are you going hard core rock crawler? Do you plan to use a lift and bigger tires?
Thanks for asking - no, I don't plan to offroad. I am just looking at options since I may have to replace the rear end. My latest interest is this, which looks like a good "upgrade" with disc brakes.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...30-spline.html
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2021, 12:54 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did you fill in all the blanks for the total cost of the East Coast Gear Supply axle assembly ? Both axles you are looking at are really expensive, and totally overkill for no off-road use.

Disk brakes can be easily and inexpensively adapted to any XJ Cherokee rear axle.

For your usage, a clean used XJ Cherokee axle housing with fresh gears, bearings, and drum brakes would be all that is needed. A complete brand new XJ Cherokee rear axle is only $900, and a used axle with less than 30,000 miles is only $350.

This is my Blue 2000 XJ in Moab, Utah with stock XJ Cherokee Dana 30 front and Chrysler 8.25 drum brake rear axle, and no worries.
Attached Thumbnails
Moab Rim 2018 .2.jpg  
XJ99 and superj like this.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2021, 03:39 PM
nota4re

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in SoCal and am currently in process of removing the 29-spline 8.25" Chrysler rear end as well as the OEM front axle. Both axles will be for sale soon. I'm upgrading to a pair of 2021 Rubicon take off's with all of the steering components as well. This gets me high pinion in the front, a locker, the front axle disconnect and MUCH larger discs and calipers. In the rear, I'll get a locker and large disc brakes. Harder front axle went in this weekend, and working on rear end now. If you interested in either axle, let me know.

UltraMount CB Ant. Mount for the JK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 White 4-door Rubi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in