Rear Drum Brake Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 Old 05-16-2021, 09:25 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, that is how they work. And yes, some are adjusted by the hand brake. Drum brake shoes rotate with the drum when applied. That is why there is an anchor pin that cannot move. The return springs are usually wrapped around the anchor pin. Drum brakes are also self-actuating. The rotation of the drum drags the shoes with it. The anchor pin stops the shoe movement and the shoes are wedged against the drum. Ever wonder why the secondary shoe is larger than the primary shoe? Because once the primary shoe stops against the anchor pin, the secondary shoe is fighting all the rotation of the drum and taking all the abuse. Anyone remember when cars had four wheel drum brakes? They stopped very well because all four wheels were self-actuating. Then along came power boosters and if you were not careful you could put your face right through the windshield. So when you are going in reverse and apply the brakes the shoes now rotate in reverse. If the brakes are adjusted right the self-adjuster can't move enough to do anything. But if there is enough space between the shoes and drum, the self-adjuster can move enough to turn the star wheel one tooth. So if you go in reverse often the self-adjusters should keep the brakes adjusted properly. Same with the "man brake" brake adjuster. Used every day it will keep the brakes adjusted. None of the women in my family know how to use it.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 05-17-2021, 01:31 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
f-w-i-w, the XJ is the only thing I know that has self-adjusting brakes & that form of adjustment*, which I'd previously always associated with VW Beetles/Bugs, whereas many self-adjusting brakes have no external manual adjustment.

*yes, I know it was carried over to the hand brake on WJ's - but I'm trying to keep this simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in