rattling noise under the car - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
ski14dxb

rattling noise under the car

hello guys. I have a jeep cherokee '92 and I just want to ask some help and advise on my car's problem.

whenever i drive around 45-55 kph, approaching left bends or left turns, when i execute left turns, as i give some throttle while exiting the corner, i hear a very annoying rattle sound like its under the car. what i do to lessen the rattle is i dont step on the gas while using left turns or i should be slower erverytime i will make a left turn.. in using right turns, it normal, i dont experience such rattles..

also, whenever i drive in highways (my cherokee is automatic transmission), when my speed is approaching 80 kmh, rattles will start to annoy me, so i just lessen the throttle and just be content with 75 kmh.. i also use very soft throttle when starting the car because if i drive it roughly, saying in a rush hour situation, rattle will always be heard.. and when stopping, sometimes, while im stopped and still in Drive mode, theres some rattle, it will stop after few moments..

i hope you can help me guys with this problem, i don't also have knowledge in repairing cars.. by the way, its almost 2 months when this problem started and still i drive the car, just very carefully..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Steamer98

I hope to see Dubai some day... welcome to the forums
Man it could be lots of things, a worn Catalytic converter, exhaust hanger, tail pipe banging against the leaf, and so on. Climb under and start shaking the entire exhaust, or anything else you can try and wiggle. I'd be looking at the Catalytic converter pretty hard if you have one!(dont know what the laws are in your country)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
ski14dxb

wow! i will try this one. thanks for the advice! you should visit dubai sometime.. jeep loves the dunes here! hehe! my father is a good driver especially in the sands and driving the cherokee here in dubai desert was good, it can beat any 4x4s around. thanks again bro!

post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Steamer98

No problem, hope you find your rattle.
The girl friend was in Dubai last October for a teachers conference, shes been a few times and likes it. That area is on our list, went to Thailand in March, and looks like India is next, but hopefully soon as I've never been to an Arab country. Jeepin in the Dubai desert sounds like an awesome time!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
BrunoS

my rattle from the rear axle drove me nuts until i found my leaf spring "clamps" had actually broken on one side and would make this loose rattle/metal sound around corners and bumps, regardless of brake pedal use, gear i was in, and so on.

i had checked underneath many, many times...and finally found the broken band that holds the leaf packs together...took it off, got another one, and the rattle went away the moment i repaired it.

it took about a year of this rattle to drive me insane because every time i checked all bolts, cables, everything, was tight...

Newly Painted! Emerald Green '96 XJ 4x4 4.0 HO 5-spd
3" Lift + 31" Tires / D35 TracLok / NP231
Drilled out Stock Airbox / Gauge Cluster Upgrade
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 PM
JoeJeepWMU
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My catalytic converter is worn out and it rattles at different speeds but as BrunoS said those leaf springs can make some crazy noises when they start to come apart. I would love to visit Dubai someday, sounds like an interesting place!

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0 4X4 8.25 rear

2006 Jeep TJ Sport Auto White Jeep Club #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
I'll do you one better. Friday afternoon.

Though to be fair I have washed my balls off in the sink once or twice.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
ski14dxb

hi guys! now more solutions are coming.. i checked the cars exhaust and i found that in the middle area, the welded part is broken so maybe its a bit loose.. i should check again tomorrow and will see what i can do.. thanks guys!

about dubai, yea its a good place, especially the desert. if you like to come here, better during winter season because its so hot here during summer.. you will not enjoy desert driving when its hot and suddenly while driving, maybe you'll get stuck on the sand and its really hot here so maybe you'll not enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in