Question airbag replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Gtrsrlly
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Question airbag replacement

I have a 97 4x4 Cherokee country and I was wondering if replacing both airbags is something easy or difficult, or better yet something I could do my self or not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2016, 06:53 AM
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I do not recommend messing with your airbags yourself if you do not know what your doing, have you seen an air bag go off? If you decide to i would definately unhook battery and make sure all juice is discharged before messing with them.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can replace airbags yourself, if you follow the safety precautions. I have replaced several sets of XJ Cherokee airbags on wrecks that I rebuilt. The airbag system is self testing and will not clear the airbag light if your parts are non-functional or installed incorrectly.

Send me Private Message and I can send you complete instructions.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWENTY MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2016, 03:22 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrsrlly View Post
I have a 97 4x4 Cherokee country and I was wondering if replacing both airbags is something easy or difficult, or better yet something I could do my self or not
Super easy, just a couple bolts BUT disconnect your battery for at least 20 minutes before you touch ANYTHING related to an airbag.

It's a simple, easy precaution but not following it can get you seriously hurt or worse.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
air bag , question , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in