Question about E-fan - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-10-2021, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Question about E-fan

I need to adjust my steering gear but the E-fan is right on top of the adjuster.
My question is can I take out the E-fan, do the small step adjustments and drive to test with the fan removed without hurting anything (I DON'T KNOW AUTO ELECTRICAL).
I'm not worried about needing the fan for cooling as it has not come on since last year at 101*F.

01' XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstein's ,IRO OTKsteering, 245/70R16 NokianRotiiva AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 04:39 AM
BaileyNB
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You should be fine as long as the clutch fan is operating properly. The electric fan is controlled by the engine computer and turns on when the engine temp reaches a certain temperature (225 degrees or so?). Mine only ever turned on if I was sitting in traffic a long time, so a short test drive shouldn't cause the engine to get hot enough to even need the additional fan.
Wyo likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyNB View Post
You should be fine as long as the clutch fan is operating properly. The electric fan is controlled by the engine computer and turns on when the engine temp reaches a certain temperature (225 degrees or so?). Mine only ever turned on if I was sitting in traffic a long time, so a short test drive shouldn't cause the engine to get hot enough to even need the additional fan.
Thanks for the reply.
As I stated I'm not concerned with the cooling aspect, I was more concerned with unplugging it and running without it with all the sensors and computer and if it will affect that part of the process, I am still learning about all this electrical and computer stuff, it is way different than the 60s and 70s cars I'm used to.
Better to ask a stupid question than fix a mistake.

01' XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstein's ,IRO OTKsteering, 245/70R16 NokianRotiiva AT

post #4 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 08:38 AM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It also comes on if you turn on the ac. You might get a code for the fan circuit. So just don't use the ac.
Wyo likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 05:51 PM
BaileyNB
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I forget about air conditioning since I removed mine when I realized I'd have to fabricate all new lines. So I moved my alternator to where the compressor sits for easier access.

Anyway, yeah, as long as the AC is off it should be fine, even if you turn the AC on, the fan just won't run. As long as the wires are tucked out of the way to keep from hitting anything moving, shouldn't be any issue electrically not having that fan. That circuit isn't even hooked up on mine after I installed a new radiator with a bank of electric fans.
Wyo likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ok thanks for the input, I just didn't want to create a problem since I am so close to being done with the all current upgrades.
Wyo likes this.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDXJ View Post
Ok thanks for the input, I just didn't want to create a problem since I am so close to being done with the all current upgrades.
Dont worry about it at all. I have been been running mine with out a electric fan in mine for over 2 years after I hit one of my cows with it... after I cobbed it back together, Hell I even run the AC without code or issue as long as I shut down the AC when not on the highway.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-11-2021, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
Dont worry about it at all. I have been been running mine with out a electric fan in mine for over 2 years after I hit one of my cows with it... after I cobbed it back together, Hell I even run the AC without code or issue as long as I shut down the AC when not on the highway.
That is one thing I am concerned about, it is cattle relocation season here and I'm not sure how I will react if my jeep gets dented or kicked trying to get through a cattle drive.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2021, 08:42 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Too much worrying.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-12-2021, 04:50 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
Perhaps I should worry more - it's never occurred to me there was any risk in driving through cattle on the road.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
Perhaps I should worry more - it's never occurred to me there was any risk in driving through cattle on the road.
I got mine by a ditch at a cattle guard and the grass was super high that year and the cow came up fast and I was on her and the 8 feet just before was smooth steel so my tires just slid across and I wacked right in to her.

It was light fog at dusk and my lights were ****ty too. all things that I am addressing with my replacement.

Wreck the front end and my cow both........ I paid the full price for that.

calves WILL run into you. But that is not what happened. I own it all.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-12-2021, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
I got mine by a ditch at a cattle guard and the grass was super high that year and the cow came up fast and I was on her and the 8 feet just before was smooth steel so my tires just slid across and I wacked right in to her.

It was light fog at dusk and my lights were ****ty too. all things that I am addressing with my replacement.

Wreck the front end and my cow both........ I paid the full price for that.

calves WILL run into you. But that is not what happened. I own it all.
Growing up in Colorado I have been driving through cattle most of my life sometimes free and clear, I did have one bump into my 75' Cherokee Chief sport ripped the side mirror bolts right through the door and caved in the door panel to the point the window would not move up or down.

That one was not that big of a deal as that jeep was $800 and already FUGLY 4 friends with plungers pulled that dent out in one go and some flat stock drilled to fit the mirror made a decent washer.

This jeep is already in the 5 digit range including purchase price + upgrades and has a straight body and decent paint for it's age so yah I worry about the damage that a cow can do without trying let alone getting next to one that is angry or frightened.

You should see what a RX7 looks like after a cow tries to walk over it in a cattle drive and the poor guy that was driving when it came through the rag top.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
An angry cow? The very word "bovine" has come to mean placid. Perhaps even our cows have different national characteristics, all the ones I've encountered seem reluctant to move at all & merely seem confused by a vehicle appearing in their midst. However, I am now better prepared for my next American road trip (whenever it is I'm allowed to make it), although wondering livestock is not something I can recall from previous years - not even in Colorado!
post #14 of 18 Old 05-15-2021, 06:04 AM
BaileyNB
1993 XJ Cherokee 

When I was stationed at Fort Hood, TX, I lived in Temple and use to take one of the back roads into base. It's all free-range cattle country around there with a cattle guard in the road at each end of the ranch area. I had a motorcycle back then. One morning while riding in, someone honked their horn and all the cattle started running towards the road. As it turns out, that's how the ranchers there get the cattle's attention when they need to move them I guess.

Anyway, I'm on my Victory V92 and the cattle start running towards the road. I rolled back the throttle all the way and raced to get across the barrier. Cops use to like to hang out there and catch people speeding in, so of course I get stopped shortly after I cross the threshold and started slowing down back to the limit. The officer asked if I knew how fast I was going and I responded, "No, I was too scared to look down to see, all I cared about was getting across the cattle guard before getting trampled." I pointed behind us to the range and the cattle are still running. I was let off with a warning.

I don't have that problem in Georgia.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-16-2021, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I don't know the difference in breeds or how the UK's cattle ranching is done, but in the area I live in also free range they move them up and down in elevation according to the time of year, high in the summer low in the winter and in alot of areas they will push 100+ cows down the road for miles to get to those locations.

I lived in a small town in Colorado where they ran them straight through down town, I had cows running across my front porch, I couldn't get out my front door without getting ran over.

True the random cow on a road is most likely just going to stand there and look at you and not want to move, PITA yes but nothing to worry about.

A cows life is really simple EAT, MOVE, S*** wash, rinse and repeat then one day a bunch of people come in on horses and start hooping and hallering dogs nipping at your heels and push them out the gate and keep that up for miles hour after hour they can't stop to eat or even take a piss, then they have cars trying to go in both directions through the herd while trying to keep track of there young and still being forced down the road.

You would think that could make even the most docile creature testy, so yes the possibility of angry cows is common and they can destroy a car without trying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in