Quadratec replacement leafs: standard or medium duty? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
Quadratec offers three kinds of replacement leaf springs: heavy duty, medium duty, and standard duty. I know the heavy duty can give 1-2" of lift, but what is the difference between the standard and medium duty? Anyone have experience with these?

I searched but only found info using the heavy duty springs as a hybrid 2" lift. Which one would give no lift on a stock non-upcountry XJ? I first thought the standard ones, but read somewhere they might be for a 4 cylinder lighter weight XJ?

Thanks!
For my .02 I have the heavy-duty crown springs. They do give about 1" of lift over stock, and I later added a 3" RC add a leaf to bring the pack up. The heavy duty springs being really stiff, they AAL didn't do quite as much and I ended up with ~3.25 total.

All that said DO NOT BUY the heavy springs unless you're going to tow or haul a helluva lot of cargo. I bought them for my 20' RV and they work great for that, but they're ridiculously stiff even with my default 120ish pounds of gear and subwoofer sitting right over the rear axle. They'll change your whole outlook on speed bumps and potholes.

If I ever replace them I'll do a 3-3.5" lift new pack (probably OME) and add a helper spring.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
pismo61

2015 JK Wrangler 

I have the Crown HD springs and sensatrac shocks(with upper rear shock extentions).They dont seem stiff to me.Most of my vehicles have been Wranglers and small pickups.So I maybe used to a stiffer sprung vehicle.Dunno?With the crown HD springs and JKS shackles I sit at 20 inches(from center of wheel to fender flare),total 3 inches.They have been on for 3 months.PS I added 3* shim also that about a 1/4 of an inch.

2015 Red 2 Door(half) 6sp.

Last edited by pismo61; 04-03-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 04-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sensatrac shocks are the best riding shocks for a stock height XJ, IME.

post #19 of 34 Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

However, for a 1" to 3" lifted XJ the Bilstein 5100 f or 2-3" lift are best, IME.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo61 View Post
I have the Crown HD springs and sensatrac shocks(with upper rear shock extentions).They dont seem stiff to me.Most of my vehicles have been Wranglers and small pickups.So I maybe used to a stiffer sprung vehicle.Dunno?With the crown HD springs and JKS shackles I sit at 20 inches(from center of wheel to fender flare),total 3 inches.They have been on for 3 months.PS I added 3* shim also that about a 1/4 of an inch.
Maybe it's the RC shocks, which are on the replace list when I can justify the expense. But it was stiff as hell after I first put on the HD springs before I lifted. I would not do that lift brand again given the chance. I grew up in suv's and trucks and have only owned cherokees myself.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 34 Old 04-05-2015, 09:04 PM
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've run them on 3 of my XJ's. If you want to go 1 3/4" above where it sat new factory, get the 4886186AA. If you want regular replacement size with no lift, order the 4886185AA part numbers.

Paired with a good shock, they work dandy. The 4886186 go nicely with a 1 3/4" front spacer or new 2" lift springs.
post #22 of 34 Old 04-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ha! I knew those HD ones sat higher than Std duty ones.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 AM
XJFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Ha! I knew those HD ones sat higher than Std duty ones.
I think this statement is misleading, and largely depends on how they will be used and how long after installation.

I installed the Crown HD leaf-pack in a 01, and immediately measured ~18.25" (+1.25 over stock), but less than a month later after once hauling a trailer and once moving about 1,000 lbs of tools in the rear, I was down to ~17.25 (+0.25"), which can basically be considered stock height.

Now after adding a helper spring, I am almost right at 19" (+2.0"). So, depending on your use, actual height change can vary pretty dramatically. If you install stock height (STD) duty leafs, and measure 17" after right after installation, there is a good chance over time (depending on how they are used) that they will settle out to below stock height; which is likely what happened to the leafs in the first place.

So, I would suggest not looking at this from a "How much lift will I net" point of view, since the idea of the spring rate really isn't the same as a "lift-kit", but to view it by how much cargo you can carry and how stiff you like your ride. The OP doesn't seem to have a need for HD springs, so I would suggest the Medium Duty, which will maintain actual stock height longer and remain daily driver friendly.
post #24 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Re Heavy Duty (like Up Country) rear springs vs Standard Duty rear springs...

France, did u read the other guy's post confirming different ride height? Though I'm not sure it's as much different as he said.

He's saying ride height is 1.75" different. You're saying it's not different. I'm saying I think it's about 1" different. Perhaps some of it depends on how much cargo weight.
post #25 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We agree that load capacity is the most important issue when comparing these springs, and we agree that the Medium Duty would probably be best for OP.
post #26 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wonder if Crown brand settle more than OEM? I wonder how Dorman compares?

Rocky Road Outfitters sells OEM for very reasonable prices.
post #27 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 AM
peelman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When I replaced my leafs on my 2k xj, I opened the old set I replaced and stuck one of the used leafs in the new pack. That raised the rear an inch or two which I need for my tool box and small trailer.
post #28 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 AM
XJFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

France, did u read the other guy's post confirming different ride height? Though I'm not sure it's as much different as he said.
I did, which is why I acknowledge that there will be an initial increase in ride height. I am not sure how long after installation of the HD leaf packs people have measured to see how they settle and how much. My caution comes from my real world experience that if you load them down all the way, they are not going to come back up to the +1-2" rise we all initially experienced. So that leads me to believe they will eventually settle there at some point, al biet slower than a softer spring. So my comment was more to say, choose these shocks based on what you are going to haul or what your preference in how it rides over anything you will net in "lift".
post #29 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 96 XJ came with OEM standard duty springs. My 99 XJ came with OEM tow package (medium duty) springs. I bought both XJs with 33K miles on them.

With OEM standard duty springs, 30 x 9.5 tires rubbed slightly on the flares, but only occasionally and not enough to harm anything.

The OEM medium duty springs sat about 1/2" higher and could clear 30" tires with no rubbing at all.

So in my personal experience, there is a little bit of ride height difference between those two. I've already heard the OEM heavy duty (up country) springs ride about 1" higher than standard duty.

However, you're reporting less differences in ride height than I am, and the other fellow reported more difference than I did. So I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. However, I will note that I'm referring to my experiences with OEM springs, and I think he was too. I think you're referring to Crown springs. I'm not sure if the brand makes any difference. I've purchased Crown and OEM bushings and they were equally good. I've purchased Crown and OEM suspension snubbers and the Crown were significantly better.

So I don't know. It might all have to do with how much weight the springs have been subjected to. It sounds to me like you may have overloaded your springs, especially the heavy duty ones. An XJ is a 1/4 ton truck. So that's a 500 lbs payload capacity in rear cargo area, if I understand correctly. You said you put 1000 lbs back there. So it sounds to me like you significantly overloaded your heavy duty springs. I wonder if that might have caused them to lose their extra height?

P.S. - Aren't the heavy duty rear springs rated to haul 750 lbs? If so, you still overloaded them at 1000 lbs, IMO. Perhaps that caused them to lose some height?

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Based on my own experiences, I do think there is some height difference even after settling, if they haven't been overloaded, and especially if they've never been fully loaded.

Most people won't overload them. Many people will never even load them to capacity. For those people there will be some height difference.

However, for the heavy loads you've carried, I can believe the height difference can diminish with settling.

However, a standard spring would settle more than a heavy duty spring, if both were subjected to the same heavy loads that you've carried.

The important point we both agree on is that it's best to choose the spring according to the loads a person intends to carry, and we both agree that's a medium duty spring for the OP. So we agree on the important points.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in