https://www.4wd.com/b/performance-pa...mmer/_/N-cl7ff

2000 Sport, K/N, 12 hole injectors, Viper Coil Mod, 62mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 06:45 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

i have looked at programmers before and they are to be avoided for a normally aspirated petrol engine. There is nothing that it can interface with via the diagnostic port that would benefit from being changed or indeed is changeable. They often come with a fancy screen to read data and reset codes and seeing the data is interesting for a few minutes.

Frankly, for OBD2 you can do just as much with a proper scanner that costs less.

Piggybacks can alter diesel fuelling and turbo pressures, though the ones I looked at seemed to be doing it by intercepting the signals to and from the ECU. For instance, placing it in the wiring loom on the engine it can modify the length of the electrical signal to open a diesel injector. Nothing dramatic, if you want to put 10% more fuel in the air it can do it and in a diesel it will produce more power. it will also increase black smoke and diesel particulates, which may eventually kill you. Quite crude, some were no more than a box with LEDS wired in to a random circuit board and had no effect at all when tested.

On a Jeep 4.0HO there is already a computer trying to maintain a fuel ratio of 14.6:1 you will be unlikely to improve fuel consumption or power.

Really, for the money they charge I would expect more and specfic information about exactly what they work on. For this money I would be thinking of tossing the PCM and fitting a Megasquirt controller in its place!!!!

The best chips are the ones which change the programming of the computer itself, which the ones listed for a Cherokee are not. Even then, i would only bother with a diesel or a turbo petrol as any actual gains would otherwise be so small.

If you are really considering it ignore the competitors and find out what Superchips can do to your engine. They are reputable. As far as I can see they are vague about any actual performance gains in a 4.0 XJ.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
mhjo

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply. I think you spared me both the money and the disappointment.

Cheeers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in