Possible Transmission Damage Help!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
crismon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Possible Transmission Damage Help!!!

The other day I was coming back from school in my 2000 Cherokee Sport and lo and behold it starts sputtering on me so I pull off to the side of the road, shortly after it dies on me. After calling my friend for a jump and driving about 50 more feet it does so again, and so I had to tow it. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get it towed by a company, so I towed it with a dolly front wheels up, I put the transfer case in neutral and left the tranny in park. The trip was only about 15 miles, but now i'm afraid that i've caused transmission damage from reading that it should only be flat towed. I haven't driven it since, but I have started it, How can I diagnose any transmission damage????

p.s. the culprit of it dying on me was the alternator, i've replaced it since then.

p.p.s since replacing the alternator it won't idle, it will die if the rpms drop below the 1 mark on the meter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 PM
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Towing with the t-case in natural is fine . Have you charged the battery out of the vehicle to 100% ?

7" long arm lift, HNT sye , herculined inside, bush wacker fender flares now geared and locked !!!
62 mm bored throttle body's fs - pm
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 PM
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

15 miles won't hurt it, 20 or more then I recommend pulling rear driveline

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 AM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did the battery die on you? I had this happen on mine when the alternator went. Would not idle at all until I replaced the battery.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
This does sound like it could be a marginal battery. The failed alternator may have left you with a battery with marginal charge.

With a marginal battery, it might be strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits. And stalling is one of the main symptoms with this.....

Try charging the battery with a battery charger and see if that resolves it. Battery chargers are meant for charging a deeply discharged battery. Alternators are designed to "keep" the battery charged. If charging doesn't resolve this idling symptom, then have your battery "load tested" at a parts store. Load testing is the only accurate way to determine battery condition.

Good luck and keep us updated!

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
crismon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I went to get the battery tested today and it turns out it was bad, got a new one plopped it in and turned the key in the ignition and a heavenly purr comes to my ears, turns out it was the battery. It's idling well and when I took it for a spin I didn't notice anything that could lead me to believe there was anything wrong with the tranny. It was such a simple fix, thanks everybody for the quick responses and the helpful info, glad to be part of the forum :-).

Last edited by crismon; 02-23-2015 at 03:30 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-23-2015, 04:35 PM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Glad we could help and that you're rolling again.

Many of us like simple problems. Except CCKen. We save his knowledge base for the tough ones!

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!

Tags
alternator , cherokee , idle issue , tow vehicle , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in