Positive Tee-Kay test = head gasket problem? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Ja0Lo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question Positive Tee-Kay test = head gasket problem?

Hello everyone and thanks for reading!

I have a whistling 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 with >311.000km (>193.000 miles) and basically only one question: Can a positive Tee-Kay test (=combustion gas in the coolant) have another cause than a leaking head gasket? Like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket? Or is the head gasket the only way exhaust fumes can get into the coolant? (Ok, that's three, but I hope you know what I mean.)

For further information you can keep reading, but the rest is only the story how I ended up planning to install a new head gasket without any experience in car repairs.

Thanks for any answers! Cheers, Jan

Oh, and I shot a Video and uploaded it to yt, so if anyone wants to know how the Jeep sounds atm:
[Sorry, just found out I cant link stuff as I got no posts, you're free to look for "herruvxyz" on yt, its the "Whistling Cherokee" video, I guess that's a bit much to ask for, though, especially if you think about reading further, as there's more link-mess down there]

================================================== ===

I arrived in Australia two weeks ago after saving for this trip for the last years. I intend to drive once around the coast and straigt through the outback. For this I need a car (ideally a 4x4), looked for used ones and found this Jeep, thinking: This is the ideal car for what I am planning.
It was my first time buying a used car and I was stupid enough trusting the seller, who told me the whistling noise it produces was nothing important and the car mechanically fine. Really stupid, as this car is supposed to carry me something like 25.000km (~15.000miles), rather more than less.

At least I got it checked, one of the first things the mechanic did was a Tee-Kay test and yeah, you alread know the result. He didn't even finish the job, but called me to pick up the XJ and told me I had got a leaking head gasket and a repair would cost ~3.000AU$.
I was kinda shocked, I hoped it would just be some loose nuts (as it was for this guy:
still cant link, you're free to look for "Jeep Cherokee whistling noise" on yt though, it's the first video).

Back at the place I stay I searched the internet some more (as I should have done before buying the car) and found this glorious forum, especially this thread:
still no links, the name is "Head Gasket Replacement" by user "Vertical Norm"
This made me read further into the topic and start this project.

During the last couple of days I've been reading a lot, most stuff multiple times, looked for what tools I need to buy (and gave up on it, I'm gonna do the job in a DIY-garage, where they have all the tools and staff, that can help me) and found two very helpful yt-videos
cant link - "Jeep 4.0 L Head Gasket - Cherokee (XJ)" on the Pabst Boys Roadhouse channel
and
"How to change Jeep 4.0 Cylinder Head" on the FearlessFront channel, a private guy, though way less newbie than me).

Now I'm sure I can handle it, as long as I get the parts, and that's kinda difficult in Australia if I don't wanna spend 400AU$+ on them. Ebay .com .au saves me regarding this, gonne get one of these each, depending on what this thread brings up:
cant link as I got no posts yet, darn (article name is "VRS,Cylinder Head Gasket Set/Kit - Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L MX242 EI 1/96-8/01")
and
cant link as I got no posts yet, darn (article name is "Jeep Grand Cherokee Wrangler Cherokee Head Bolt Set ERH 4.0 1994-2006")
or only
cant link as I got no posts yet, darn (articel name is "Exhaust / Intake Manifold Gasket Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L 2000-2001 EEP/XJ/028A")
and new motor mount bolts I guess, as while idling the Jeep tends to wobble a little bit. No idea yet where to get them, though, only heard of this problem today. EDIT: Right before going to sleep I happen to stumble upon rockauto.com. Seems like I get Fel-Pro gaskets and head bolts including shipping for the same price I get the I-dont-know-what-brand stuff from australian ebay. Plus a Haynes Repair Manual. Might settle or this option.

Now there's only that one (or three) questions left, because of this thread:
"2001 Jeep Cherokee engine squeal Mystery" by user mtblan0.

It would save me a good junk of money if I only had to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. As soon as I know I'm gonna order the rare stuff.

Any objections against buying those from ebay?
And every other bit of input is highly appreciated as well!

A big at THANKS for the existence of this forum and everyone of you contributing to it! I am basically a newbie to car repairs, only things I fixed before where my bycicle (no problems with that) and my motorbike (successfully switched tires, but killed the oil drain screw when changing the oil...). I have been reading a lot the last couple o' days, mostly in this forum, and together with above mentioned videos it gave me the confidence to do this.

Last edited by Ja0Lo; 02-07-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling, minor changes, discovered rockauto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

b 4 you do anything see if you have a 0331 head. numbers on exhaust side in center near valve cover. these heads can crack and cause your problem. many posts about 0331 head here. read more b 4 anything else
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Ja0Lo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey 2oldjeeps, thanks or answering!

I tried to look if it's 0331 head, but there's a big plastic box in the way. Searching the net a little bit I found out it's a "RESONATOR, Air Cleaner 1998 XJ, 1999 XJ", according to autopartmaster. Well, guess that's a reasonable thing in Australia.

Searching more I found if it got a coil pack ignition it's a 0331 head, if it got a distributor it's not. I got the coil pack ignition, so 0331 confirmed.
I guess I need to have the compression tested to make sure it's a cracked head, right?

Cheers, Jan

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

if you search "cracked 0331 head" you should find info.
the # is on the head,top,near the valve cover edge near the middle, left side

Tags
head gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in