JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Popping sound, loss of power - 95 country, 4.0 HO, automatic - with video! (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/popping-sound-loss-power-95-country-4-0-ho-automatic-video-3982961/)

Haak 01-31-2017 07:58 AM

Popping sound, loss of power - 95 country, 4.0 HO, automatic - with video!

Hi!

**Not allowed to post link to video because I dont have enough posts. New to this forum! Hopefully I'm able to post link soon.

Been having trouble time to time with loss of power and a quite loud popping sound when driving. The popping sounds like you're popping popcorn in a kettle. Usually, when accelerating right after start up - the same symptoms occur, though in a much smaller scale. A few "pops", some loss of power, but then it sounds and runs fine during the remainder of the trip.

However, a few days ago, after going for a long drive - around 3 hours - the popping, loss of power occurred when going in 45 mph and the engine of course was warm. I had to pullover, wait, and then it got fine. This happened 3-4 times the next 30 min of the drive until I got home. The next morning the battery was flat and I had to jump start it. The battery charged right away. The car ran better that day, even though I had to stop twice because of the same symptoms as above.

What can be wrong?
- the spark plugs are new
- distributor cap and rotor is new
- battery is new
- the alternator is supposedly good

Is it something electrical? Or air intake? Injection system? Any defect valves? Positive cables touching ground?

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!

- Haak

S8NNG8 01-31-2017 10:52 AM

Can you tell if the popping is electrical, mechanical, or combustion induced?

Haak 01-31-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S8NNG8 (Post 37363849)
Can you tell if the popping is electrical, mechanical, or combustion induced?

I would have to say mechanical/combustion. Not like metal on metal, more of a pop. Best way to describe it is like popcorn popping. Sorry the lack of accurateness, but not quite sure..

Haak 02-01-2017 01:45 AM

Flat battery

Today the baatery was flat and I had to user jumper cables again... Started up, seemed to charge fine again, but the intermittent power loss and popping sound was quite notable...

S8NNG8 02-01-2017 06:25 AM

The loss of power could be a plugged catalytic converter. The popping is possibly pressure building behind it, eventually needing to release. This is where you could have a blown seam in your exhaust. The flat battery could be a melted wire grounding out somewhere near that blown seam.
This is a "fly by the seat of my pants" guess so don't hunt me down if I'm wrong.
Plugged cat: Go to a muffler shop and have one of the techs start it up. They can usually tell from the sound of the exhaust if it's plugged. If plugged, get a quote and do some shopping. I had one shop quote me $750. The next shop quoted me $120.

S8NNG8 02-01-2017 06:31 AM

Second guess: it could be a failing or leaking fuel injector. The popping being the dry fire caused by it not injecting fuel. Fuel leaking and pooling could be soaking a wire and possibly combusting outside the motor eventually leading to an underhood fire.

The time now is 10:27 AM.