Pop/Clunk from rear when braking (searched) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Pop/Clunk from rear when braking (searched)

TJ guy here but wanted to ask if this is a common XJ issue. Wife has a 99 and theres a very distinct repetitive pop/clunking sound coming from the rear when braking. It occasionally clunks when accelerating but thats rare. I pulled the drums and opened the diff and everything looks great. I've got some ujoints on order for the rear DS but wanted to ask if it might be something I'm not looking at. Know leaf issue? IDK... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2015, 10:23 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It could be worn bushings, worn u-joints, loose suspension fasteners, damaged suspension parts, or needing to grease the slip-yoke. While you are changing u-joints grease the slip yoke. I greasing the slip-yoke does not solve the issue, look at the rear drum brake condition and make sure the drum is not out of round.

1996+ greasing the slip yoke

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Judging by the comments on the slip yoke write up you linked, I'll bet you that's the problem. I would have bought your membership if it fixes the problem but it looks like you've already got that covered....

post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Is the popping related to speed or random? Mine makes noise like someone is inside the drum tapping it with a hammer as I slow lol. I've read info on a few causes but have yet to fix it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in