Please help with lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
CarpsXJ

Please help with lift

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2000 xj and it is completely stock right now. It's my daily driver but I want a more aggressive look and also to be able to hit some trails, I'm not looking for a trail rig but one that can take a little beating. I live in PA and with the laws having to apply because of it being a DD, what is the max tire and lift size I could get. I would like 4.5 lift and 33s but idk if I'll be legal, and is there a way to make the bumper height lower to cheat it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 AM
bAUMER
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I personally think thats to high and too big of tire for my daily driver taste. I'm sure lots disagree but gas isnt cheap.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Baticon

Lifts put a lot of stress on the vehicle. I would look up what the biggest tire you can use with out a lift. I bet someone jammed a 305 in there with a set of offset rims.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I read that pennsylvania bumper height is limited to 22" front and rear for cars and SUV's. if you alter the frame/bumper positioning then that limit applies to the frame so you wouldn't be able to cheat it with some sort of weird *** bumper relocation either.

3" is probably going to be your absolute max. 3" with trimmed fenders should let you run 32's easy and 3" +32's is pretty capable trail-wise. That's going to push that bumper height quite a bit though. Keep in mind that's a total of 5" theoretical lift off the ground over stock, assuming your lift isn't higher than advertised, which is common if your vehicle doesn't have a bunch of heavy armor and such added to it. You need to measure your stock ground - bumper height and see how much you can lift.

Given the ****ty *** laws I'd be prone to say run a 2" budget boost and 30X9.5's to make sure you don't go over the height and fender flare coverage laws, and then make up the lack in good armor and traction devices. Except it looks like "front lift blocks" which I'm assuming includes coil spacers are also illegal in PA. So you'd have to find 2" lift coils.

Any chance you've got an out of state relative or friend? If you could get it tagged and registered to their address the PA system should have to respect the registration state's allowances. Typically lighting, fender flares and such they'll hass you about but major modifications like suspension they'll leave you alone if they're legal in the "home" state.

http://www.liftlaws.com/pennsylvania_lift_laws.htm

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-11-2016, 11:47 AM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just based on my experience...I also started with a bone stock 2000 used as a semi-daily driver (no commuting) and light off roading.

Originally went with a 2" BB and 30's...immediately regretted the Budget Boost and went with a 3" lift including brake lines and track bar relocation bracket...skipped the SYE/shims...driveline vibration is there but barely noticeable and it doesn't bother me...of course I was now stuck with brand new 30's and wish i had just done the 3" and 31's from the get go as the ride on a real 3" lift is much better and the look with 31's is much better.

Jeep is very driveable as a DD but gas mileage went to all hell...full disclosure also swapped out a full rebuilt 4.0l...then again gas is pretty cheap these days.

All that being said, my advice is go with a 3" lift and 31's (don't get add a leafs, you probably need new rear leafs anyway)...with that set up you will do great in the snow and still be able to hit the trails (see pic below), you'll probably just take a hit the MPG area.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in