Overheating after idling for 5-10 minutes - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Gtrsrlly
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland
Posts: 26
Overheating after idling for 5-10 minutes

Hello, I recently replaced both the thermostat and the temperature sensor, in my 97 xj, country 4wd automatic. The jeep will run fine and for as long as I want if I'm driving staying around 210 degrees. However whenever I stop, and let it idle within 10 minutes the check gauges light comes on, temp goes to 250, and then after a few minutes the jeep overheats. Any ideas? Also I had the smallest leak from the thermostat housing, I have water and coolant in the car, but haven't had to put any in since I did the repair. It's been a week.

Gtrsrlly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Thewiltz
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 633
Here are some reasons your cherokee would overheat (240+f) at idle but not at 30+mph:
Fan clutch worn out
Old coolant
Aux. electric fan not turning on
blocked radiator or coolant passages
Low fluid level
Low engine oil level
Water pump impeller wearing causing low flow at slow speeds
clogged radiator fins or air blockage to radiator
Damaged fan shroud



This is from a wright up i believe is on this forum (but i copied this from elsewhere)
If it started right after you replaced the thermostat i would suspect that. the parts store thermostats can be junk. I just installed on that wouldnt open.... ever.
Thewiltz is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 11-12-2015, 11:14 PM
zmasterflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 06710
Posts: 76
I had this overheating problem when I first got my XJ a few years ago. When I came to these forums I was told that XJs generally run hot.

In addition to checking what the other poster stated; realize that there will be junk in your system as the fluid breaks down and reacts with the metallic engine parts and seals. There should be some sort of fluid replacement on your car on a consistent basis especially if you are running it with water. Water is wonderful but it has minerals in it which will react with your parts and cause blockage in A) radiator B) hoses C) heater

Additionally you might want to drill a small hole through your thermostat so there will be some flow even when the temp is lower than the springs opening point.

Long story short - when I am in stop and go traffic in the summer my Jeep overheats and I put on the heater at full blast to take heat off of the engine.
zmasterflex is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Thewiltz
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 633
Also try this stuff, Prestone flush and clean, About $5 at autozone. i was having over heating issues, even after changing the whole cooling system. after I used this the temp dropped 20*.
I also picked up some stuff from Royal Purple that you put in radiator that is supposed to lower operating temp by 22*. Im usually pretty skeptical of this type of product buy its Royal Purple and its on $5 so would be worth a try.
Thewiltz is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 AM
seasoned_geek
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Herscher
Posts: 35
Xj Overheating solution

I feel your pain. I must have spent several thousand tracking down an overheating problem. Adding insult to injury my engine is pretty "new". It is a factory reman from PowerPro2000.com back when they were around. Came with a 5 year 100K mile warranty. I'm way past 5 years, but less than 30K into the motor. Jeep sits on the farm quite a bit. Only drive it whenever I'm home and then it is mostly to tow mower trailer around.

I must have put a dozen thermostats in. Lost count of water pumps. Put at least 3 radiators in. All over the course of a year. I mean the complete cooling system was replaced at least twice in that time. I even put one of those rather pricey triple core radiators in my 90 Wagoneer Ltd. It would _still_ overheat if left to idle or dragging the trailer. The real difference between the Cherokee and the Wagoneer is the Wagoneer came completely prepped for towing. Bigger brakes, better cooling, button on the dash to change shift pattern/torque, etc.

At any rate, my local mechanic decided to use my Jeep as a character builder for some younger mechanics he had working for him. They went down the same frustrating journey I had replacing many things. Finally, one of them got the idea to use this aftermarket temperature sensor from Oriely's (sp?). They threaded it through on the hot side of the radiator and wired it into the factory electric fan. My Jeep can idle in the Mohave desert for hours now and it will never overheat.

It appears the factory sensor on the cool side of the radiator isn't sensitive enough for the control system as it ages. By the time the cool side triggers the electric fan it is too late. I must have put a dozen of those things in, all different temps with only marginal success. The aftermarket thing did the trick. Of course I left the triple core in, but, everyone else can probably save themselves a lot of pain and trouble putting a sensor on the hot side of the radiator.
seasoned_geek is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 PM
1stockjeep
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: modesto CA
Posts: 1,135
Try changing the fan clutch, the one I bought from a local parts store is a hd whick I think is same as a v8 zj cause my fan is loud all the time lol. Also fix the t stat leak while your there
1stockjeep is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM
seasoned_geek
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Herscher
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
Try changing the fan clutch, the one I bought from a local parts store is a hd whick I think is same as a v8 zj cause my fan is loud all the time lol. Also fix the t stat leak while your there
We went through several fan clutches. The entire cooling system was replaced 3 times tracking down the issue. Yes, I had the fan clutch problem at one time too. Odd that with a failed/stuck-on fan clutch your engine overheats. For me that problem was several years ago.

Thanks for the input though. It seems the ultimate fix is to add in the aftermarket radiator temp sensor and wire it up the the existing (new) electric cooling fan. Once that is done the cooling system is great.
seasoned_geek is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:34 PM
1stockjeep
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: modesto CA
Posts: 1,135
My jeep actually runs a bit to cold since everything was fixed on it. The only time my e fan is needed is when it's over 100 outside. Sounds like you changed everything tho so I don't know what the issue could be
1stockjeep is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Thewiltz
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 633
Is it boiling over? Or is the temp gauge showing 250ish so you shut it down? I ask because I chased "overheating" issues after I replaced everything only to find the gauge/sensor acting up. Installed new standalone temp sensor and gauge and runs a perfect 205*


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thewiltz is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
seasoned_geek
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Herscher
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
My jeep actually runs a bit to cold since everything was fixed on it. The only time my e fan is needed is when it's over 100 outside. Sounds like you changed everything tho so I don't know what the issue could be
Multiple times.

I no longer have an issue. I posted here for others who have replaced the entire cooling system and still have a heating problem. That generic through-the-radiator sensor kit from Oriely's does the trick. Put it through the hot side and wire it up to the fan. Set your on/off temps and you will never overheat again.
seasoned_geek is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM
seasoned_geek
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Herscher
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewiltz View Post
Is it boiling over? Or is the temp gauge showing 250ish so you shut it down? I ask because I chased "overheating" issues after I replaced everything only to find the gauge/sensor acting up. Installed new standalone temp sensor and gauge and runs a perfect 205*


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it was physically boiling over.

Problem was ultimately fixed by putting that aftermarket through-the-radiator temperature thing from Oreily's in and wiring it up. Just wanted to post that solution here for people who are chasing a never ending overheating problem.

Basically, something in the electronics gets slow to react to current from the factory radiator temperature sensor. Putting an aftermarket one on the HOT side of the radiator, setting on/off temp range, and wiring it in, fixes the problem.
seasoned_geek is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 01-08-2016, 11:56 AM
300cpilot
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Meridian
Posts: 594
Overtime I see an over heating thread, its like I have had an old wound torn open and a fresh batch of salt rubbed in.

Everything the others have posted has been spot on. I believe that the issues are most likely caused by more than one problem. I would also make sure that your electric fan is kicking on? I installed a dash switch so I could turn it on when ever I wanted.

Things I had to do.
Radiator cap (a little improvement)
Flush/refill (a little improvement)
Thermostat (no improvement)
All hoses replaced (no improvement)
All pvc & vacuum lines replaced (ran better, but no heating improvement)
removed heater bypass valve (Stopped small leak it had)
replaced fan clutch twice (no improvement)
Found that the electric fan was not turning on (replaced computer helped a lot)
rebuilt nss switch (Helped cause a bypass would blow a fuse and fan would not come on)
Water pump ( Helped, look at the replacement and make sure impeller is same size as original or larger)
Rebuilt Cylinder Head (Head gasket went out so I rebuilt it while it was off. Huge difference) Prob the root cause!

With all these changes the over heating stopped, now I have to change the thermostat again because in the winter it is running to cold.
300cpilot is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM
JWELK
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ceiba
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_geek View Post
Yes, it was physically boiling over.

Problem was ultimately fixed by putting that aftermarket through-the-radiator temperature thing from Oreily's in and wiring it up. Just wanted to post that solution here for people who are chasing a never ending overheating problem.

Basically, something in the electronics gets slow to react to current from the factory radiator temperature sensor. Putting an aftermarket one on the HOT side of the radiator, setting on/off temp range, and wiring it in, fixes the problem.
Can you tell me the part number of the O'Reilly part?
Thanks
J Welk
JWELK is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM
seasoned_geek
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Herscher
Posts: 35
Sorry, no. I no longer have the Jeep so I can't even go out and look for you. After 12+ years of ownership and thousands in repairs I had to punt on the 90 Wagoneer Ltd. I got royally violated trading it off on a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7 HO engine. Already put thousands in repairs into that thing too, but it isn't all rusted.

This "sounds" like what my mechanic bought:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2346&ppt=C0331

This sounds like a much better one though:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2346&ppt=C0331

What you really need to know is if the electric fan you installed really is variable speed or if it is just ON/OFF. Most of the cheap ones are NOT variable. If you try to change the current to them they "seem" to work, then they burn out after a few days/weeks/months. Just like your refrigerator if it runs during brown outs or on a backup generator not putting out quite enough juice.

If you have a good charging system and strong battery it would be nice to have the more expensive one keep the fan running the 30+ seconds or so to stop that big heat spike of a freshly turned off engine.

Sorry I cannot be more help.
seasoned_geek is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM
JWELK
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ceiba
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_geek View Post
Sorry, no. I no longer have the Jeep so I can't even go out and look for you. After 12+ years of ownership and thousands in repairs I had to punt on the 90 Wagoneer Ltd. I got royally violated trading it off on a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7 HO engine. Already put thousands in repairs into that thing too, but it isn't all rusted.

This "sounds" like what my mechanic bought:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2346&ppt=C0331

This sounds like a much better one though:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2346&ppt=C0331

What you really need to know is if the electric fan you installed really is variable speed or if it is just ON/OFF. Most of the cheap ones are NOT variable. If you try to change the current to them they "seem" to work, then they burn out after a few days/weeks/months. Just like your refrigerator if it runs during brown outs or on a backup generator not putting out quite enough juice.

If you have a good charging system and strong battery it would be nice to have the more expensive one keep the fan running the 30+ seconds or so to stop that big heat spike of a freshly turned off engine.

Sorry I cannot be more help.
That's perfect, just what I needed thanx.
O'Reilly doesn't ship here (P.R.) but ebay has several.
It is the stock fan, on/off IIRC.
J Welk
JWELK is online now  
Reply

Tags
idle , overheat , thermostat housing

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome