1Likes
  • 1 Post By riderboy1961

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj Overhaul A\C

Hey guys, I bought a nice project Cherokee a few years back and am gradually getting it into better condition. The PO was the original owner and did a good job of keeping the Jeep maintained, but he eventually gave it to his son and things went downhill. Anyway, the a\c has never worked. I filled it last summer and it worked until it leaked out after a day or so, so I knew there was a leak. I figured since it's a 1999, wouldn't hurt to use new parts and overhaul the whole system. I haven't look at the shop manual yet, but I watched a few videos and it certainly is doable. Just curious if anybody has ever done this and have any words of advice of things to watch out for, things that may get tricky, etc.

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
Hey guys, I bought a nice project Cherokee a few years back and am gradually getting it into better condition. The PO was the original owner and did a good job of keeping the Jeep maintained, but he eventually gave it to his son and things went downhill. Anyway, the a\c has never worked. I filled it last summer and it worked until it leaked out after a day or so, so I knew there was a leak. I figured since it's a 1999, wouldn't hurt to use new parts and overhaul the whole system. I haven't look at the shop manual yet, but I watched a few videos and it certainly is doable. Just curious if anybody has ever done this and have any words of advice of things to watch out for, things that may get tricky, etc.
Figure out where the leak is first.
Could be simple. A line connection maybe.
Could be a little more involved. A condenser maybe.
Could be really involved. The evap core.
You might want air but do you want to take the dash apart for the evap core?
You could replace the whole system, minus the condenser and evap core, and find
out she still is not right.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 PM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Back in 2018 I took my FJ Cruiser to a Valvoline oil change place (was an Oil Can Henrys but was bought by Valvoline) that also does A/C systems.

He hooked a large matching to my a/c system and said it would take about 30 minutes for the machine to do a complete a/c system check and fill.
The service attendant said that "If" the machine found a leak that there would be No Charge, he would then tell me where the leak(s) were and then I could come back to have the a/c serviced again after I had it fixed.

I am thinking you may be able to find an A/C service place in your area that would offer the same thing?
Couldn't hurt to ask around anyway.

The a/c system was good though, no leaks. Charge/Fee: $150.00.
monkeyhouse likes this.

Thank You,
Bo

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Can you do it? Of course you can. You do need some tools or farm out specific tasks to a shop.

If you do all the work yourself, you'll need a vacuum pump and manifold set. Purging and filling with refrigerant are the tasks you may farm out.

I did my '88 when my compressor seized. I replaced the compressor and a few other parts (accumulator, expansion valve and condenser), flushed everything, even had to get my 609 Cert to buy R-12 (you won't need to do this part).

So watch a ton more of videos, consult the manual. Then decide if you want to tackle it yourself of just pay someone else. Bear in mind, if you do it wrong, you can cause more damage and create more expense.

My compressor failure:
Name:  comp_failure_0048Small.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  42.6 KB

Manifold Gauge:
Name:  manifold guage.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  18.2 KB

My AC system on a bench (minus evap and compressor).
Name:  ac on a bench.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  40.0 KB
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2020, 05:28 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

They are not complex or difficult to strip and assemble apart from the bit buried under the dash. Like anything on an XJ diagnose exact problem before throwing parts at it. You may be lucky and it is just a hole in the condensorand a visual inspection will tell you, otherwise you need a dye test. Ypu can buy a can of R134a and dye quite cheap, put it in through the Low port and check the compressor engages. then get a cheap UV flashlight and look for dye.

Mine struggled for years, never got very cold. Then I took it to the guru, he cleaned it inside and out and returned it regassed for $75, been icy for about 5 years. Taken all A/C to him since, he undercuts the main dealers by cleaning and adjusting rather than just replacing stuff.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Tags
air conditioner , compressor , lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in