OME 2.5" Lift on order... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
engineerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OME 2.5" Lift on order...

Any tips, tricks, hints?

I bought a kit from DPG Offroad this afternoon. So now my mind is starting to plan out how I'm going to get the old suspension components off/out. I'm assuming I'll need to start spraying the bolts with PB Blaster about a week ahead of time then hit them once a day or so up until I am ready to do the swap. Does that sound about right?

What else have people run into on taking out their old suspension? Any particular tools that would make everything easier?

It's a 2001 XJ that's spent its entire life in Ohio and Michigan.

Thanks!

-----------------------
"The only sports are bullfighting, mountaineering and motor racing. The rest are merely games." - Hemingway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
TOPDSM

As you stated, spray all bolts with PB every day for a week prior to installation. As for specialty tools, a coil spring compressor helps a lot with the front coils.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
74makoLKN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just did this not long ago. I had access to a hoist and a friend that is a mechanic, although he had never done a full suspension switch. at the risk of telling you stuff you already know:

it took us 8 hours to complete. so be ready to spend some time with it. You are almost guaranteed to break the upper shock mount bolts in the rear, so rather than using bar pins again, get bar pin elimintors. depending on the shocks you bought they may or may not have bar pins in them already. there are write ups on what to do when shock mount bolts break. its less than fun.

Also, if at all possible only disconnect one side of the front axel at a time when doing the front coils. we disconnected the front axel on both sides and ate up well over an hour trying to get the front axel back in place with tow straps. avoid this at all costs. major PITA.

kind of a common sense thing...BUT...make sure you get all the weight off the rear axel before you try to take out the leaf spring bolts. They won't budge if there is any tension on the springs.

Have fun with it. I definitely feel more confident about working on my jeep now that i tackled that project.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM
mmasuperman12

1998 XJ Cherokee 

sawzall torch plasma cutter. makes removal a lot easier, if not then soak with penetrant and make sure you have a good half inch breaker bar. with a pipe exteneder.goes much easier with two people if you have never done it before. also not a bad idea to have a drift pin to help hold stuff like leaf springs in place especially working alone.

95 YJ 4banger 4 inch RC lift 1.25 inch BDS shackle lift 33" trxus M/T's on black steelies SOLD..DAMMIT!
Jeep drivers who dig Country Music member #12

1998 XJ - beginning the revival.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just did this (alone) a while back.

It's fairly straight forward if everything comes off ok. Luckily, they don't use salt on the roads here, so some WD40 a week before and no problems.

For the rears I used a jack stand under the frame rail to hold the Jeep in the air, then factory jack underneath one side of the rear axle. I still had my sway bar connected back there, so I had to disconnect the shock, the swaybar, then the U-bolts. Let the axle down gently, even with the brake lines connected you should have enough slack to get the old leafs out and new ones in. Biggest problem I had was lining up the front of the leafs, and you really want to do that first. Also, loosen up the shackles (upper & lower). That will make it easier to get the rear of the leafs in.

In the front, you don't need a spring compressor, but it will make things easier. Same trick as before, jack stand under the frame rail and factory jack under the axle. You'll need to disconnect the track bar, sway bars, and bottoms of the shocks to get enough droop to get the old springs out and new springs on.

Of course, an alignment is necessary when you're done.

Took me about 3 hours for the front & 3 for the rear working alone.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
engineerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

-----------------------
"The only sports are bullfighting, mountaineering and motor racing. The rest are merely games." - Hemingway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in