Oil Pressure Gauge/Sending Unit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Jeffreywp1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oil Pressure Gauge/Sending Unit?

I have had this XJ for over 2years and have been having problems with the oil pressure reading zero every now and then for most of that time, so we know it is not actually zero oil pressure. At first I thought I had bought a bad Jeep but realized that if I just turned it off and back on it would fix itself. I of coarse replaced the new sending unit that the previous owner put in. I did not use a Mopar part though. Would a Mopar sending unit help? I have read where others have replaced the pigtail to help also. It has gotten to the point where it reads zero all the time now. I drove it home last week and unplugged the sending unit and sprayed it out with electrical cleaner which made it work for all of that evening, which suggests I should try replacing the pigtail. Where are the ground points for the engine so i can rule that out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-09-2020, 12:14 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would install a genuine Jeep sensor and see if that fixes it.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 26 Old 08-09-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Jeffreywp1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Where is the best place to order Mopar parts online?

post #4 of 26 Old 08-09-2020, 12:58 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Many Dealerships have a website and the prices are usually discounted by 30%. Sometimes you can find genuine Jeep parts on Amazon.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 26 Old 08-09-2020, 07:14 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

my stock went bad. i put in cheap a zone,works good. exactly the same as the old one did before.
remove the sender, crank the engine a few seconds to blow crud out of block. replace a z sender...
jeep parts are likely made in china with other cheap a z junk...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #6 of 26 Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
It's not that Chinese parts are inferior, they will make what they're asked to &, mostly, they're asked to make cheap - so they do. If they're asked to make quality AND the customer will pay - that's what they'll do, but they'll still cost less because the savings are in pay & conditions, absence of regulations and the like.
If you going to buy OME parts & they're made in China, it'll say so on the pack so you can make an informed choice, if you buy own brand/white box parts from AZ - or wherever - they'll be completely anonymous, so you're buying a pig in a poke. Yer pays yer money & takes yer choice!
post #7 of 26 Old 08-10-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Jeffreywp1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just ordeedr one from Amazon. How tight or how many turns do you install the unit? It never seemed to get tight.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-11-2020, 01:59 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreywp1 View Post
Just ordeedr one from Amazon.
That'll be Chinese then

It's the sort of thing I tighten 'till it feels right but as it's probably brass & I think a taper thread it's likely stripped, so when it's out examine it carefully; could be the root cause of the problem but, fortunately, unlikely to have damaged the tapped hole.

Put a little oil on the thread of the new one & wind it in carefully by hand, then tweak it a bit with the shortest wrench you have in that size. Fire it up, check for leaks, assuming there are none, job's done THEN see what the gauge is showing, hopefully around 2 o' clock; sorted!
post #9 of 26 Old 08-11-2020, 07:49 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

or a couple wraps of teflon tape...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #10 of 26 Old 08-12-2020, 12:03 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
That might be a quick fix for the present sender as there's clearly something wrong if it won't tighten. However, particularly if I'm right about it being a taper thread, it shouldn't be necessary when installing the new one.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-12-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Jeffreywp1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
That'll be Chinese then
That's funny. I originally wrote "I just order on from Amazon" and edited the post on my phone to ordeedr instead of ordered.

Quote:
That might be a quick fix for the present sender as there's clearly something wrong if it won't tighten. However, particularly if I'm right about it being a taper thread, it shouldn't be necessary when installing the new one.
I believe it to be tapered also. It did get snugish but not tight. They come with Teflon tape or some other thread sealant on them. The AZone one that is in but not working I removed once to do the flush. When I reinstalled it I used Teflon tape and threaded it in further. For anyone that is interested in taking the sending unit out to flush the port out, there is no need to get out of the Jeep to see how much oil is coming out! It is a lot. Just turn it on and turn it off. The Mopar part from Amazon is not coming by prime so i will not be able to update for a week or so.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-13-2020, 11:13 AM
PhilipJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't bother with a Mopar one, I did once and it only lasted a few months...just long enough to be out of warranty.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-13-2020, 02:52 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
"They come with Teflon tape or some other thread sealant on them." I never knew that - but no point in spending time on a forum if you don't learn anything.

Can't imagine Amazon junk is any different, much less better, than AZ's. I know the place has a reputation but when I went there for a temperature sender I was offered a choice & took what even I recognised as a reputable brand. It's what you buy, not where you buy it, that's important.

Not so long ago it was suggested that Jeep oil gauges only tell you there's pressure, not what is is because the sender's the same as for the oil pressure light - so it's either on or off. Probably wouldn't have paid any heed, had I not notice the gauge on my just acquired WJ 4.7 went straight up to, say, 1 o' clock - & stayed there, exactly as the 4.0 XJ's do. Apparently, the clue's in it only having a single wire, unlike "proper" gauge senders.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-14-2020, 08:05 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mopar/Jeep engine sensors are better than any Chinese junk from Amazon or Idiot Zone, a sample of ONE Mopar sensor that bit dust is not enough data to declare that all sensors are the same poor quality. I used to work with a guy that worked part time at IdiotZone, and he said defective brand new IdiotZone parts of all types were common.

In the last 18 years I have owned 8 XJ Cherokees, so I do have some experience with what works, and what doesn't.

As always, YMMV.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 26 Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
"They come with Teflon tape or some other thread sealant on them." I never knew that - but no point in spending time on a forum if you don't learn anything.

Can't imagine Amazon junk is any different, much less better, than AZ's. I know the place has a reputation but when I went there for a temperature sender I was offered a choice & took what even I recognised as a reputable brand. It's what you buy, not where you buy it, that's important.

Not so long ago it was suggested that Jeep oil gauges only tell you there's pressure, not what is is because the sender's the same as for the oil pressure light - so it's either on or off. Probably wouldn't have paid any heed, had I not notice the gauge on my just acquired WJ 4.7 went straight up to, say, 1 o' clock - & stayed there, exactly as the 4.0 XJ's do. Apparently, the clue's in it only having a single wire, unlike "proper" gauge senders.
my 4.0 s are variable, readings change40 to 55. so dont jump to conclusions ! 4.7 04 is an idiot.

and my a zone sender is just fine

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in