nuetral safety switch for a 99 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Submariner

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
nuetral safety switch for a 99

I am looking for a Neutral safety switch for my sons 99 Cherokee 4.0 auto aw4.

So far I am seeing them around $250+

Anyplace else that may have one besides the salvage yard and buying a complete transmission.

Suggestions please?

Submariner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

seriously? are they that expensive? i have a aw4 from a 93 4x4 that i was only asking 200 for.
i wonder if the nss is the same?

check on line at auto parts warehouse. i just did a quick search and they list one for 40. dont know it this is what you need but it would not hurt to look
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 AM
Ralph777

Cheap aftermarket:

https://www.1aauto.com/1997-01-jeep-...SABEgKiHfD_BwE

Remembering you get what you pay for. LOL.

Have seen write ups and videos where guys take them apart, clean up, and get them to work again.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

it works too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
Cheap aftermarket:

https://www.1aauto.com/1997-01-jeep-...SABEgKiHfD_BwE

Remembering you get what you pay for. LOL.

Have seen write ups and videos where guys take them apart, clean up, and get them to work again.
my first 99 cherokee started shifting funny. the parts place pulled a code but could not exactly tell me the problem so i google it and found the video on this.
so i pulled the switch and cleaned it with scotch bright ran it for another couple of years.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Easy to do. There is a little retainer clip you must bend first. Remove the bolts and nut. Disconnect it from the wire harness. Get it on a work bench and take it apart with I think a phillips screws driver. There are two small copper floating contacts in there. Be careful when you pull it apart as there are small springs under those small contact. You lose them you are hoo-dooed.

I use some fine sandpaper and clean all the copper up till it shines. Put a little dielectric grease on it. Put some grease on the gasket and put it back together.

The real trick is getting it bolted back in and in the right position to allow you to start in both Park and Neutral. It is slotted and moves about 1/4" to get it aligned. Once you can start your rig in both P and N tighten it all down and check it again. It isn't terribly difficult just frustrating to have to get out of the seat and get back under your rig over and over until it all lines up.

I think I have had mine out three times.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am looking for a Neutral safety switch for my sons 99 Cherokee 4.0 auto aw4.

So far I am seeing them around $250+

Anyplace else that may have one besides the salvage yard and buying a complete transmission.

Suggestions please?
You can bypass it in about 20 minutes under the hood by tying a ground to the control side of the starter relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You can bypass it in about 20 minutes under the hood by tying a ground to the control side of the starter relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
this is what i did since i have removed my automatic and swapped in a ax15.

two of the wires that went to the nss i routed to inside the cab, when i get time i will connect it to a push button switch mounted to the clutch pedal. this way you have to press the clutch to start the jeep.

the other two wires in the nss harness control the reverse lights. i ran those two wires to my ax15. did this yesterday.

the more i work on my jeep the more things i find like this. very interesting
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 01:46 AM
Ralph777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
this is what i did since i have removed my automatic and swapped in a ax15.

two of the wires that went to the nss i routed to inside the cab, when i get time i will connect it to a push button switch mounted to the clutch pedal. this way you have to press the clutch to start the jeep.

the other two wires in the nss harness control the reverse lights. i ran those two wires to my ax15. did this yesterday.

the more i work on my jeep the more things i find like this. very interesting
I used to own a '96 XJ before I purchased the '00. There was this toggle switch on the left on the lower part of the dash.
I discovered it turned on the reverse lights. I paid $300 for the Jeep so didn't expect much. It was a running, drive-able, Jeep from day one as was. LOL.
I am thinking that the PO kind of did some of what you did.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 AM
75SV1

That switch changed in '98. I forget what the new name is, offhand. So, 98-01. They do cost more than the NSS. I did use one of the cheap after market ones. It work good. I have rebuilt one or two. That is if I can get them off the shaft on the trans. As above, take apart the clip and the screws. Clean out the old grease. Yes, watch the little springs that should hold tension on the copper parts. Very fine sand paper say 600 grit or even a rubber eraser. Use Dielectric grease or lithium grease to pack it. Reassemble.
I think on the '98-01 use a jumper wire on the bottom outer two wiring on the plug up by the trans dip stick. I remember that plug block being white. Pull it apart. Obviously the plug that the wires are not going to the NSS. Yes, its not an NSS, but its the same thing. I used a piece of black wire and twirled the ends up. stuck them in each plug.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

swap

Quote:
I used to own a '96 XJ before I purchased the '00. There was this toggle switch on the left on the lower part of the dash.
I discovered it turned on the reverse lights. I paid $300 for the Jeep so didn't expect much. It was a running, drive-able, Jeep from day one as was. LOL.
I am thinking that the PO kind of did some of what you did.
did the previous owner swap the transmissions?

my switch that i put replaces park.
i was actually able to wire the wires in my nss to my ax15 so it actually works normal.

300 is a good price. i paid 400 for mine but it was a 2wd auto. now it is a 4x4 5 speed
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Ralph777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
did the previous owner swap the transmissions?

my switch that i put replaces park.
i was actually able to wire the wires in my nss to my ax15 so it actually works normal.

300 is a good price. i paid 400 for mine but it was a 2wd auto. now it is a 4x4 5 speed
No. They disabled it so it would start. At least that is what I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in