nuetral safety switch for a 99 - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Submariner
Senior Member
 
Submariner's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montesano
Posts: 808
Garage
nuetral safety switch for a 99

I am looking for a Neutral safety switch for my sons 99 Cherokee 4.0 auto aw4.

So far I am seeing them around $250+

Anyplace else that may have one besides the salvage yard and buying a complete transmission.

Suggestions please?


Submariner
Submariner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 AM
40vern
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bham
Posts: 254
seriously? are they that expensive? i have a aw4 from a 93 4x4 that i was only asking 200 for.
i wonder if the nss is the same?

check on line at auto parts warehouse. i just did a quick search and they list one for 40. dont know it this is what you need but it would not hurt to look
40vern is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 AM
Ralph777
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 33
Cheap aftermarket:

https://www.1aauto.com/1997-01-jeep-...SABEgKiHfD_BwE

Remembering you get what you pay for. LOL.

Have seen write ups and videos where guys take them apart, clean up, and get them to work again.
Ralph777 is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM
40vern
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bham
Posts: 254
it works too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
Cheap aftermarket:

https://www.1aauto.com/1997-01-jeep-...SABEgKiHfD_BwE

Remembering you get what you pay for. LOL.

Have seen write ups and videos where guys take them apart, clean up, and get them to work again.
my first 99 cherokee started shifting funny. the parts place pulled a code but could not exactly tell me the problem so i google it and found the video on this.
so i pulled the switch and cleaned it with scotch bright ran it for another couple of years.
40vern is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 PM
SmashDN
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Franklin
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
Have seen write ups and videos where guys take them apart, clean up, and get them to work again.
Easy to do. There is a little retainer clip you must bend first. Remove the bolts and nut. Disconnect it from the wire harness. Get it on a work bench and take it apart with I think a phillips screws driver. There are two small copper floating contacts in there. Be careful when you pull it apart as there are small springs under those small contact. You lose them you are hoo-dooed.

I use some fine sandpaper and clean all the copper up till it shines. Put a little dielectric grease on it. Put some grease on the gasket and put it back together.

The real trick is getting it bolted back in and in the right position to allow you to start in both Park and Neutral. It is slotted and moves about 1/4" to get it aligned. Once you can start your rig in both P and N tighten it all down and check it again. It isn't terribly difficult just frustrating to have to get out of the seat and get back under your rig over and over until it all lines up.

I think I have had mine out three times.
SmashDN is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 25,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am looking for a Neutral safety switch for my sons 99 Cherokee 4.0 auto aw4.



So far I am seeing them around $250+



Anyplace else that may have one besides the salvage yard and buying a complete transmission.



Suggestions please?
You can bypass it in about 20 minutes under the hood by tying a ground to the control side of the starter relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Que89YJ is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 AM
40vern
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bham
Posts: 254
ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You can bypass it in about 20 minutes under the hood by tying a ground to the control side of the starter relay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
this is what i did since i have removed my automatic and swapped in a ax15.

two of the wires that went to the nss i routed to inside the cab, when i get time i will connect it to a push button switch mounted to the clutch pedal. this way you have to press the clutch to start the jeep.

the other two wires in the nss harness control the reverse lights. i ran those two wires to my ax15. did this yesterday.

the more i work on my jeep the more things i find like this. very interesting
40vern is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 01:46 AM
Ralph777
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
this is what i did since i have removed my automatic and swapped in a ax15.

two of the wires that went to the nss i routed to inside the cab, when i get time i will connect it to a push button switch mounted to the clutch pedal. this way you have to press the clutch to start the jeep.

the other two wires in the nss harness control the reverse lights. i ran those two wires to my ax15. did this yesterday.

the more i work on my jeep the more things i find like this. very interesting
I used to own a '96 XJ before I purchased the '00. There was this toggle switch on the left on the lower part of the dash.
I discovered it turned on the reverse lights. I paid $300 for the Jeep so didn't expect much. It was a running, drive-able, Jeep from day one as was. LOL.
I am thinking that the PO kind of did some of what you did.
Ralph777 is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 AM
75SV1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,849
That switch changed in '98. I forget what the new name is, offhand. So, 98-01. They do cost more than the NSS. I did use one of the cheap after market ones. It work good. I have rebuilt one or two. That is if I can get them off the shaft on the trans. As above, take apart the clip and the screws. Clean out the old grease. Yes, watch the little springs that should hold tension on the copper parts. Very fine sand paper say 600 grit or even a rubber eraser. Use Dielectric grease or lithium grease to pack it. Reassemble.
I think on the '98-01 use a jumper wire on the bottom outer two wiring on the plug up by the trans dip stick. I remember that plug block being white. Pull it apart. Obviously the plug that the wires are not going to the NSS. Yes, its not an NSS, but its the same thing. I used a piece of black wire and twirled the ends up. stuck them in each plug.
75SV1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM
40vern
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bham
Posts: 254
swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph777 View Post
I used to own a '96 XJ before I purchased the '00. There was this toggle switch on the left on the lower part of the dash.
I discovered it turned on the reverse lights. I paid $300 for the Jeep so didn't expect much. It was a running, drive-able, Jeep from day one as was. LOL.
I am thinking that the PO kind of did some of what you did.
did the previous owner swap the transmissions?

my switch that i put replaces park.
i was actually able to wire the wires in my nss to my ax15 so it actually works normal.

300 is a good price. i paid 400 for mine but it was a 2wd auto. now it is a 4x4 5 speed
40vern is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Ralph777
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
did the previous owner swap the transmissions?

my switch that i put replaces park.
i was actually able to wire the wires in my nss to my ax15 so it actually works normal.

300 is a good price. i paid 400 for mine but it was a 2wd auto. now it is a 4x4 5 speed
No. They disabled it so it would start. At least that is what I think.
Ralph777 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome