872 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  superj 
#1 ·
From sd springs. I ordered the heavier weight rated ones

100 bucks each.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: downs
#2 ·
when I got the first stock one of the Cherokee, I laid it next to these and the stock one had more arch to it then these do :/

and what a pain in the butt to change leaf springs if your jeep has the factory side steps on it. I didn't know the factory steps mount covers the leaf spring front bolt head and you have to pull the steps and the rear step mount to get to the leaf spring front bolt.

so, instead of both springs getting installed yesterday after work, one did. and since they shackles for the lift were not the correct ones for an xj, the lift install is on hold until new shackles come in the mail. so, I will install the other leaf sometime and once the correct shackles get her, do the front end and install the new shackles so the jeep will sit level.

its just a 2" lift for now. the wife wants the Cherokee taller so I figured I would start small and later on go up to 6" like my old Cherokee was

#4 ·
I hope this wasn’t too tough a job. I just ordered new springs. I’ll probably install them in the next week or two. I’m hoping it goes pretty easy. My current ones are totally flat. Did you get new ubolts or just reuse the old ones? I’m really hoping there’s no front and rear height difference between front and rear so it looks jacked up.

#6 ·
if you don't have the factory side steps, its very easy to change leaf springs. the only time I have ever bought new u-bolts is if I had to add leaves or they were messed up. u-bolts aren't stretch to yield bolts so they are reusable. lots of places try to sell the myth that all hardware must be replaced every time you loosen it but its not true. you can if you wish but its not a requirement.

anyone using boomerang shackles here? I have to pick replacement ones for the incorrect ones and those popped up. I had them on my yj when I did the ome lift on it but never noticed anything in particular about them so I kind of figure same thing here but I might as well ask. they are about the same cost so I might get them.

I have to also get the lower control arms and will probably order the control arm drop brackets soon. I see those have gone down in price a bunch from when I had my lifted Cherokee so that's nice. I also have to get a new manifold since this one is cracked in the normal spot. i don't know though, I might just weld it but it depends on how bored I get and how much money the wife spends. if she spends a ton on cabinets and junk for the kitchen it might make me have to weld it

#7 ·
Not had the problem with XJ's but on other (lesser?) vehicles I've sheared off U-bolts - or had to cut them because I was simply unable to undo the nuts. May not be a problem in Texas but those who live in the rust belt will understand. For that reason, & from what I can see, I'm not sure I'd even think about trying to undo shackle bolts - much as my '98 really needs new leaves.

#8 ·
i totally understand. if they are damaged or corroded, then for sure replace them.

i live about 1/3 of a mile from the ocean so i know what you are saying. i have seen some rusty suspension on people's vehicles. they drive along the water and into the wet sand and mud areas and soon they are driving a vehicle you can put your feet through the floor pans.

Reactions: UKXJ
#10 ·
shackles are rough country from morris 4x4 because I have bought lots of parts from them and they are a family owned Christian business.

the leafs are 100 pound heavier rated then stock. one thing I can tell you is the ride from the back end has immensely improved. I believe new shocks will make this ol Cherokee ride very very nice though as these are still stock worn out shocks on it now.

so, list of things to do now

shocks
tires
bumpers

my previous jeep Cherokee had a 5.5 also but I went with 31s. usually its a pain to explain how I got 5.5 instead of 6 so I would just say 6" lift.

I chose 31s though because I wanted to be able to have the tires tuck into the wheel wells on max flex instead of worrying about stuff getting torn up. it worked. I could flex either side all the way up without hitting the fender or flares and it still stood head and shoulders above other jeeps in the parking lot.

the gold Cherokee is very nice looking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.