New here.. Suggestions on a budget lift? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
New here.. Suggestions on a budget lift?

Sup guys.. New here and new to the Jeep world. Just picked up my first XJ shes an 01. 355 gears..
The guy threw in a set of practically new Hercules Trail Digger M/T 235/75R15 all 28.9" tall mounted on a set of wheels that I might use for now if you think their worthy.
So I'd like some suggestions on a reliable budget lift that will keep me solid for the season. Just big enough to get me through moderate terrain, mudding, and trails. Please ad what would be the max size tires to go with the lift you suggest. Links of kits or parts that I might need would be great. New to this so bare with me please. I don't want to sink too much money into this Jeep till I prove its gonna be reliable. Appreciate all and any help in advance.

JayBourbon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 04-13-2019, 12:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 38,196
Congrats on the Jeep. 2" BB spacers front and rear lift shackles or an add-a-leaf (AAL) would be the cheapest option, if the springs are still good. Mine showed no sag with 130,000 miles on them. The shocks you choose will determine the ride quality, good or bad. I ran that size tire with no lift for a while. I just had to adjust my steering stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Congrats on the Jeep. 2" BB spacers front and rear lift shackles or an add-a-leaf (AAL) would be the cheapest option, if the springs are still good. Mine showed no sag with 130,000 miles on them. The shocks you choose will determine the ride quality, good or bad. I ran that size tire with no lift for a while. I just had to adjust my steering stops.
Thanks bud, Yeah that would probably be the cheapest route. I am thinking about going with some ZJ springs /shocks in front and the s10 bastard pack mod for the back with some rubicon shocks. That supposedly will give me about a 2.5' to 3" lift without sacrificing ride comfort or control. Just learning here so gathering input. Need to find out what year front springs and what year s10 leafs I can use.. Also what year rubicon shocks will work.
JayBourbon is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin
 
chris87xj's Avatar
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 3rd rock from sun
Posts: 13,498
Check here for good info Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ? .

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

chris87xj is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesville
Posts: 38,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBourbon View Post
I am thinking about going with some ZJ springs /shocks in front and the s10 bastard pack mod for the back with some rubicon shocks. That supposedly will give me about a 2.5' to 3" lift without sacrificing ride comfort or controll.
Only if you buy them new. I never understood the idea of people buying junkyard used suspension parts that are as worn out as the ones being replaced. New springs are $100 and AAL is $75 or so. Shocks determine ride quality over all else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM
SSellers
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lyman
Posts: 535
Flame on but given what I interpret you want to do, i.e. see if the XJ is even worth keeping.......
I read that as whatever you're doing now is either going to be tossed in a year or two when you really let loose or passed on to another sucker.....
I'd probably just do the Rough Country kit that has coils, shocks, and AAL for about $250.

Steiner
1998 XJ Classic driver
1998 XJ Sport spare parts supply
SSellers is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM
SSellers
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lyman
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Only if you buy them new. I never understood the idea of people buying junkyard used suspension parts that are as worn out as the ones being replaced. New springs are $100 and AAL is $75 or so. Shocks determine ride quality over all else.
.....and I don't know about where you live but LKQ now owns all of our local yards, and they are getting uppity. I know people who have gone to the junkyard to get parts and paid more than they would have for a new part because they think their only options are AutoZone or the junk yard.

Steiner
1998 XJ Classic driver
1998 XJ Sport spare parts supply
SSellers is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
axlaxl
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 322
2" budget boost is cheapest option, but if you're going to do all that work might be worth it to replace the shocks/springs at the same time depending on how old they are.

2" you can safely go with 30's and potentially 31's depending.

3" you can go with 31's and not need to re-gear. Will need longer brake lines and probably a TC drop kit.

Spend a little bit more now and do it right the first time and you won't regret it. Go cheap and half @ss it and you'll get what you pay for.

Rusty
s 3" kit
axlaxl is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM
HAZCAT
Registered User
 
HAZCAT's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Joplin
Posts: 525
Regardless of the brand you go with, I would do a 3" kit with new coils in the front and add a leaf or blocks for the rear (to stay ceaper than all new rear springs) and new shocks and address the brake lines. I had that set up on my old '89 XJ and did not have to lower the transfer case and ran 31" all terrains and it worked great for what I wanted it to do and was still good as a daily driver. Mine had the 3.55 gears as well.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
HAZCAT is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
That's a great write up! Thanks for the suggestion Cheers!
JayBourbon is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSellers View Post
.....and I don't know about where you live but LKQ now owns all of our local yards, and they are getting uppity. I know people who have gone to the junkyard to get parts and paid more than they would have for a new part because they think their only options are AutoZone or the junk yard.

Yeah I hear ya .. You make a valid point... I was looking for a take off lift from a part out here also. Just weighing out options.. It's looking like the RC kits are the best bang for the buck. Might pull the trigger on one soon.
JayBourbon is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSellers View Post
Flame on but given what I interpret you want to do, i.e. see if the XJ is even worth keeping.......
I read that as whatever you're doing now is either going to be tossed in a year or two when you really let loose or passed on to another sucker.....
I'd probably just do the Rough Country kit that has coils, shocks, and AAL for about $250.
Hey thanks for the reply.. I haven't driven the jeep much yet because I bought it with a bent upper C on the front axle. (which I thought at the time was just a bad upper ball joint) The guy either hit something, or jumped he truck who knows. Jeeps get posted and sold in the first 30 minutes in the CHICAGO land area so $600 bux for an 01 xj with 180k and all stock is a great deal. I jumped at it and was lucky to get it within the first 20 minutes of posting it... Guy must have had 50 messages by the time i got to his house. So I haven't dug too deep into the thing yet but I did pick up a new HP dana 30 out of a 99 XJ to throw in it. Just want to get everything together so I only have to do it once, but like I said I just want to weight out options first. It runs like a champ though and after looking I might just invest in the 4.5 RC lift.. Hell it's only 500 bux and I could get my money back on the jeep even if I sold it blown up with a lift seeing the prices people are asking for these things out here.. $2k+ anything with a minimum 3" lift and 30+ tires on it. even with 250k miles beat to crap still selling for that. Ridiculous. Mine is shifts tight.. No frame rust, but typical cancer on the rockers and floor boards..
Suggestions on where to buy the lift that are cheaper then the RC SITE? Opinion on them opposed to their competition? Rusty's ect...
JayBourbon is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZCAT View Post
Regardless of the brand you go with, I would do a 3" kit with new coils in the front and add a leaf or blocks for the rear (to stay ceaper than all new rear springs) and new shocks and address the brake lines. I had that set up on my old '89 XJ and did not have to lower the transfer case and ran 31" all terrains and it worked great for what I wanted it to do and was still good as a daily driver. Mine had the 3.55 gears as well.
Thank you for the response..
Whats your thoughts on the 3" opposed to the 4.5" RC lift? For an extra $130 bux the 4.5 seems the best bang for the buck.
I am agreeing with everyone here on not going used do to the stuff being worn out and investing the time installing old parts. I really don't want to do the job twice.. I think I can invest $500 in the lift and be happy with it. I am reading here and there you can get away without adding new brake lines on the 4.5" lift but that contradicts what I have read elsewhere...

QA on the ROUGH COUNTRY website for the 4.5IN JEEP SUSPENSION LIFT KIT (84-01 CHEROKEE XJ)
02/23/17
Q: Will I have to extend my break lines with the 4.5" lift? Does this kit come with instructions?
Answers (1)
Rough Country
Rough Country 02/23/17
A: "There is no need to extend the brake lines" and the kit does come with the instructions.
JayBourbon is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
JayBourbon
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlaxl View Post
2" budget boost is cheapest option, but if you're going to do all that work might be worth it to replace the shocks/springs at the same time depending on how old they are.

2" you can safely go with 30's and potentially 31's depending.

3" you can go with 31's and not need to re-gear. Will need longer brake lines and probably a TC drop kit.

Spend a little bit more now and do it right the first time and you won't regret it. Go cheap and half @ss it and you'll get what you pay for.

Rusty
s 3" kit
Is th Rusty's worth the extra penny's over the RC lift? Where do you guys get your suspension parts from? The RC seems a good product for the money.. THOUGHTS ON THE rc 4.5" LIFT?

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-su...kit-623n2.html
JayBourbon is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 04-16-2019, 02:11 AM
BagusJeep
Registered User
 
BagusJeep's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 6,493
You have gone awful quick from a budget lift to some of the better products on the market!!!!

Rustys also do a coil spacer and shackle lift for $110. You can get cheaper if you shop around or make your own.

You do not need these for your tyres, they will run fine on stock suspension and you should have plenty clearance for trails and rough tracks. always nice to have a bit more body clearance but your axles are where they are, and none of this will change that.

I have been running tyres that size for 10 years and hardly ever hit the pumpkin. It is abut choosing your line and not getting in over your neck.

The Grand Cherokee V8 front springs are a better solution for the front.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Brand New 05-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) OR Commander (XK) 2.25in Lift kit superheady Suspension Parts 3 12-18-2018 10:40 PM
Why might my ride be so stiff? xUmbra XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 33 12-12-2018 07:40 AM
Replacement shocks for lifted XJ nozzer_tw General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 2 07-08-2018 04:51 AM
98 xj which shocks? rubicon17 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 6 05-06-2018 09:02 AM
Call me stupid, tell me I didn't search the threads-too bad I did. AAl vs RLS HornedFrogHooah XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 23 04-24-2010 12:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome