Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need recommendation : best water pump other than OEM mopar

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  TheBoogieman 
#1 ·
2000 jeep XJ 6 cyl 4ltr auto trans...

the murray mfg pump I bought about 20 k ago decided to start leaking like a sieve this afternoon... lucky I caught it when I did.

Looking for recommendations on best repl. have heard gates as pretty good. also wondering if I should worry about " high performance " pumps that are supposed to push more fluid and lower eng temps.

Your thoughts please

#3 ·
Never buy a rebuilt water pump.

NAPA premium or ACDelco Gold / Professional.

#7 ·
Never buy a rebuilt water pump.

NAPA premium or ACDelco Gold / Professional.
I totally agree with Tim on this one. In fact, never buy anything "rebuilt" that is designed to move fluid.
- brake master cylinders.
- clutch master / slave cylinders.
- power steering pumps.
- a/c compressors. I know new ones can get expensive.

As for a new water pump, here is another option.
https://hesco.us/products/30803/hig...he-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455#.YURyHPmRWhA

https://hesco.us/products/30803/hig...hi-flow-thermostat-housing-hfth2#.YURy8fmRWhA

#5 · (Edited)
I have used both the gates and the Delco pro
But neither has been in long enough to really tell about the life expectancy.

But this is what I do know, IF you don't have a clean system, you can 'Film'
the ceramic seal and it will leak regardless of quality.

Basically you have 2 ceramic surfaces pressed together by a spring and they are essentially
flat surfaces, if you get a film of oil or other contaminants, you create a pathway for a leak to occur.

Fourspeedman mentioned using Cascade dishwasher detergent which I have yet to try, but a really thorough flush and acid clean out is essential for success.

Now I have also been told that once filmed, its over, you cannot clean it out and get it to seal again........ I cannot confirm this aspect as I never tried, but you could Cascade the system with the old pump still in and see..... still warm enough out to get by with just water for the time being.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.