Need name for shock in center of coil spring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Xj Need name for shock in center of coil spring

Hello,

I have a stupid question. What is the name for the shock in the center of the coil spring? I put front struts and rear shocks on my 90 Wagoneer Ltd, but I noticed there is a shock/strut like thing in the center of the coil spring. I have looked for coil spring assemblies and everything else on the various parts sites and not seen any information. Are the coil spring pictures just all wrong and these come as a coil and shock assembly?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 AM
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about the bump stop
post #3 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnw93 View Post
Are you talking about the bump stop
I do not know what it is called. I just know that it _looks_ like a shock and has to be the factory original. If I bite the bullet and put front coils on I would like to completely rebuild that coil including that shock.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

How long is this shock?
I'm with that other guy, is it a hydraulic bumpstop?

My xj just had a shock and a coil easily to determine which is which.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you gave us a picture we would have a better idea
post #6 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
How long is this shock?
I'm with that other guy, is it a hydraulic bumpstop?

My xj just had a shock and a coil easily to determine which is which.
I'm talking about the whitish thing in the center of the spring, not the black strut which was just replaced. It appears to be hydraulic, but when I search on parts sites I cannot find anything called a bumpstop
Attached Thumbnails
0107160902.jpg  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Hmmm... This is the only place I could find a bump stop listed for the vehicle.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_1320.htm
Doesn't look like what I have, but, this one is for off road, not OEM.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 AM
jrallen

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_geek
I'm talking about the whitish thing in the center of the spring, not the black strut which was just replaced. It appears to be hydraulic, but when I search on parts sites I cannot find anything called a bumpstop
The "white" thing you're looking at is the metal bump stop cup that limits upward axle movement. If you look around the tire at the bottom of it, you'll most likely see a crusty rubber insert known as a jounce bumper. The jounce bumper will pop out and is the only thing you need to replace.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
The "white" thing you're looking at is the metal bump stop cup that limits upward axle movement. If you look around the tire at the bottom of it, you'll most likely see a crusty rubber insert known as a jounce bumper. The jounce bumper will pop out and is the only thing you need to replace.
Thanks,

Next time I'm under it I will take a better look. Should have really looked yesterday when it was up in the air at Mieneke getting new exhaust. Been thinking about selling this to someone looking for a daily driver, but haven't thought too hard. Had it over 12 years now and it is officially an antique.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 11:23 AM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's called "Cushion".

88-93 OEM part number 5200 4749.

Discontinued part from Chrysler.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-07-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
It's called "Cushion".

88-93 OEM part number 5200 4749.

Discontinued part from Chrysler.
Thanks!

Too bad I can't even find anything to cross to that part.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Thanks to all who helped. I took a much better picture.

I even found morris4x4center.com has the part. One of the few place I could find it by the Chrysler number. As you can see by the name in the link, they call it a coil spring bumper.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/coil-...-52004749.html

Judging from the nice clean ring on the opposing surface, even with new struts this thing has been taking it on the chin regularly. This rather confirms my suspicion that the 25 year old springs are a bit tired. I don't off-road or drive on really horrible roads.

I bet that thing will be nigh onto impossible to unscrew from the end of that sleeve. I honestly thought the top half of that was going to be some kind of modified strut. Modified struts were really big in the late 80s to early 90s
Attached Thumbnails
0108160834.jpg  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_geek View Post
Thanks to all who helped. I took a much better picture.

I even found morris4x4center.com has the part. One of the few place I could find it by the Chrysler number. As you can see by the name in the link, they call it a coil spring bumper.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/coil-...-52004749.html

Judging from the nice clean ring on the opposing surface, even with new struts this thing has been taking it on the chin regularly. This rather confirms my suspicion that the 25 year old springs are a bit tired. I don't off-road or drive on really horrible roads.

I bet that thing will be nigh onto impossible to unscrew from the end of that sleeve. I honestly thought the top half of that was going to be some kind of modified strut. Modified struts were really big in the late 80s to early 90s

No screwing at all, it just pulls out once you get the coil spring out of the way. The top of the bumpstop is kind of hourglass shaped and popsover a lip inside that post. You can get new ones off the shelf at 4wheelparts or order them from most major offroad vendors. Those are longer than stock and intended for lifted vehicles, but you could just use a hacksaw to shorten them to desired length and you'd be good to go.

If your springs are tired and you're not interested in any lift, the Moog dual-rate factory replacement coils have EXCELLENT reviews for ride quality in a stock height, and crown/dorman medium duty leaf spring packs are fine for most. Use the HD version if you tow or haul much, but they will DEFINITELY roughen you're ride if you're not carrying a fair amount of weight so don't get them unless you need them.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-08-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
If your springs are tired and you're not interested in any, the Moog dual-rate factory replacement coils have EXCELLENT reviews for ride quality in a stock height, and crown/dorman medium duty leaf spring packs are fine for most. Use the HD version if you tow or haul much, but they will DEFINITELY roughen you're ride if you're not carrying a fair amount of weight so don't get them unless you need them.
Thanks for the spring recommendations. I do put a trailer that is a bit too heavy behind it during the summers, when I'm home, so I can drag a riding mower between farms. I was looking at putting HD leaf springs on the rear. Rear springs are past tired, they are shot. Got a ways to go before summer gets here though.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-08-2016, 01:13 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_geek View Post
Thanks for the spring recommendations. I do put a trailer that is a bit too heavy behind it during the summers, when I'm home, so I can drag a riding mower between farms. I was looking at putting HD leaf springs on the rear. Rear springs are past tired, they are shot. Got a ways to go before summer gets here though.
Fair warning, the HD packs lift the rear an unloaded XJ 1.5-2" in most cases. You can grab a pair of coil spacers cheap if you put the HD leaves on and it's too much rake for you. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
coil spring , shock advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in