Need Catalytic Converter, where to buy? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Camaro45th

Need Catalytic Converter, where to buy?

So I need to replace the Catalytic converter on my 2000 4.0. Someone in another forum topic mentioned the Walker 81850 model. I found it on amazon for $343.

I donít really know much about replacing these. Does this directly unbolt and a new one bolt in its place? I know the sensor has to be removed and installed in the converter. I just donít know if this needs to be welded or itís a simple swap.

If anyone has any info as far as best place to buy or a better option, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Why do you need a new cat?

If you are trying to defeat a code such as a P0420 for instance..... HMMMM... Often times cheaper aftermarket cats DO NOT have enough catalyst in them to defeat this code. If you are trying to pass emissions in a testing state.... same story....

Why do you need a new cat? Is it just plugged and causing performance issues in a non testing state?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Does your TJ have precats as well as the main converter?

What state do you live in?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 01:10 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
So I need to replace the Catalytic converter on my 2000 4.0. Someone in another forum topic mentioned the Walker 81850 model. I found it on amazon for $343.

I donít really know much about replacing these. Does this directly unbolt and a new one bolt in its place? I know the sensor has to be removed and installed in the converter. I just donít know if this needs to be welded or itís a simple swap.

If anyone has any info as far as best place to buy or a better option, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Kolak has my vote. He was able to get me quality cataltic converter for my 2001 XJ. I'd also recommend replacing the Oxygen Sensors with NTK, as they are believed to be the supplier for original factory sensors.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
post #5 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Camaro45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Why do you need a new cat?

If you are trying to defeat a code such as a P0420 for instance..... HMMMM... Often times cheaper aftermarket cats DO NOT have enough catalyst in them to defeat this code. If you are trying to pass emissions in a testing state.... same story....

Why do you need a new cat? Is it just plugged and causing performance issues in a non testing state?

I live in NY. I have a check engine light of P0432. I had my mechanic look at it and he is saying it is bad as well. I need it for my inspection in October. Iím just trying to do research now and hopefully will be able to buy in February.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 09:18 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Expensive front mini cats I'm guessing? They tend to break apart and clog. The O2 sensors simply screw in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Camaro45th

I believe I need the 2nd but you have to replace the 2nd and 3rd together since they are so close?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Congratulations. You have an exhaust system that was both decided by what emissions system you have, federal or california but also a build date split. Before 1/20/2000. Nice.

Being that you have a P0432 I am assuming that you have the system with two cats near the exhaust manifold. What I am unsure of is if you have a down stream resonator or cat.

If you have a downstream cat you may or may not have to replace it also. If the upstream just lost efficiency which they can do then the upstream replacement may be enough. If the upstream cat deteriorated and broke apart then it can send debris into a downstream cat and plug it.

A quick education on what P0420 and P0432 are will hopefully help your buying decision. A cat through its pure magic bonds oxygen to some very precious and expensive metals. When heated and exhaust is passing through it rebonds the oxygen that the metal has bonded to it the exhaust gasses. This alters the chemical composition of the exhaust. For instance it can change CO or carbon monoxide to CO2 carbon dioxide. This is very simplified. More goes on than that. But, in the end these trouble codes monitor a catalysts oxygen storage capacity, thus their efficiency.

Many aftermarket cats are much smaller than the OEM ones were. So, they NEVER have the correct oxygen storage capacity to begin with.

I have had several instances throughout my career where aftermarket cats do not get rid of these codes because they are not efficient enough from day one. They can cure a clogged cat no power symptom in a no emission testing state but never turn off the check engine light. They do not pass testing in a testing state.

I am not condemning ALL aftermarket cats but you need to be aware of this in your buying decision.

I have never dealt with @Kolak personally but know that he is highly regarded on the forums and based on his reputation may be a great source of a cat that will meet your needs.

I am attaching several pics of what may or may not be actual Chrysler info to help you sort out what system you really have.

Just do diligent research or you may be disappointed. Cheaper sometimes is more expensive. Cat codes sometimes cause an owner to give up on a vehicle and move on. JS.
Attached Thumbnails
20191213_171223.jpg   20191213_171244.jpg   20191213_171255.jpg   20191213_171307 (1).jpg   20191213_171321.jpg  

20191213_171334.jpg  
JWELK likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Camaro45th

Thank you. I just read your post, when I get a chance I will look through these pictures.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Kolak
Vendor

If you want, PM me your VIN and I'll decode it for you. Or you can email me at [email protected]

Given that you live in NY, you'll need a converter assembly that's CARB compliant. NY requires CARB certification for aftermarket converters.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in