MY XJ keeps shutting off while running - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Mearcliff

MY XJ keeps shutting off while running

My '98 XJ stops running after giving it a lot of gas or after a certain amount of time. I've replaced the Oxygen sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. I've really gotten frustrated. Ive made a computer test with OD 2, no codes were found, however the computer was saying that the Catalyst monitor and the oxygen sensor monitor was INC or incompatible, after that I was checking the pressure vacuum I found a hole to the EVAP canister and I taped it with duct tape to see if the problem persisted, so I turned it on again and the engine ran for 20 min but died off again. Please help I've tried everything and I just started becoming a Jeep fan and I don't have a lot of money to go to a mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
findel91
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i had a teacher with the same problem.. i ended up replacing the fuel pump for her... worked fine after that.
a good tip (may be a bit obvious but i always forget this) when finding the problem.. go from smallest to largest.. ie.. terminals are tight, batteries good, alternator works, blah blah blah.

-findel91

practice safe lunch use condiments
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 AM
blacklabel000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on what findel said, start off checking the little things. sometimes i spend way too long on a job that should have taken 5 minutes. fuel filters are cheap($8) and can be done in 20min.

good luck!-nick

JustExpectEveryProblem

96' XJ: 6.5 RC lift, 35 MTRs,4.88s, 30/8.8 locked, tons of homebrew, blah blah blah...
A-TOWN 4X4

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2009, 07:51 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearcliff View Post
My '98 XJ stops running after giving it a lot of gas or after a certain amount of time......
Shut-off after a period of time suggests that one of the sensors has thermal failure, when hot it's bad, when cool it works.

Test the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). You are looking for low voltage at the idle position and just about 5 volts at full throttle. Also, watch the meter and make sure the voltage curve is smooth with no glitches.

1997-2001 the fuel filter is inside the gas tank and is not normally replaced unless the fuel pump is replaced.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 AM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The coil is another item that is subject to thermal failure. Be sure to test it also. To test sensors suffering from thermal failure you have to test them while the symptom is occuring.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in