JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-goal-get-25-mpg-my-99-xj-30-x-9-5-r15-ats-1551782/)

Newtons3 09-10-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcelicaracer (Post 15892038)
Clutches don5 always hold firm,I have a brand new heavy duty clutch(has like 10,000 miles on it ,manly freeway) and it will slip when pulling a hill with a trailer on,granted I'm loaded and otherwise wouldn't if I were empty,lol

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum

Are you saying that your clutch will slip when fully engaged? If so, you have a problem. A clutch should not slip, no matter the load.

Newtons3 09-10-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjakid (Post 15879020)
Gah I now have the urge to build a fancy head.
I've got a 98 head sitting at work and a 68-115-4 cam sitting there.

Gm air dam showed up.
Attachment 665231
Attachment 665232
I'll try to put it on this weekend
It is 58 inches so I anticipate some tweaking.

Any updates or pics?

ninjakid 09-10-2013 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtons3 (Post 15892148)
Any updates or pics?

Nothing yet.
The sides that curl around are too long and hit the tire.
Need to trim them.
Was gonna do it sunday but my dad got bit by a dog which required stitches that messed up my schedule.
Shape and length is almost the same as the cherokee front end.

1997xj 09-10-2013 11:22 AM

Man you guys cover a lot of ground!

Basic question here. How much is my limit slip hurting me? I'd planned on putting a lunchbox locker in, but saw that it already has a LSD.

Charley3 09-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 15891644)
A torque converter is like a fan blowing another fan (liquid instead of air).
Modern ones are pretty efficient, BUT there is always going to be slip and heat generation (see Conservation of Energy)
An engaged clutch is basically a solid shaft - no slip, but disengaging, to shift then revving the engine repeatedly uses more power when done continually (city traffic)

Torque converters, Lots of info:
Torque Converters

I thought torque converter lockup was like a clutch. I'll read the links you provided.

Charley3 09-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 15891492)
LOL ...

I live on the side of the hill -->
so everything is up or down ... or over the hill

ps. Charley, you near me?

Your pics show a beautiful rural or small town scene with a telephone or power pole and wires right in the middle of it all. That's a buzz kill. You'd better have a word with the city planners. :rolleyes: Maybe a word with the photographer too. :wave:

I live 153 miles away in driving distance to your Southwest, mostly South, in Longview WA.

Your gas mileage will be excellent coming here because you'll be coasting as you drive down the map (South) ha ha.

If you come visit me sometime I've got many free XJ parts and many cheap parts to pass on to someone else. I've got a hide a bed if you want to stay over night and drive home next day.

Newtons3 09-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1997xj (Post 15893271)
Man you guys cover a lot of ground!

Basic question here. How much is my limit slip hurting me? I'd planned on putting a lunchbox locker in, but saw that it already has a LSD.

Its not. Your LSD makes almost no difference. The only way youll see a difference is with a spool, mini-spool, or welded spider gears.

Newtons3 09-10-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 15893365)
I thought torque converter lockup was like a clutch. I'll read the links you provided.

It is. Lock-up converters have a clutch inside. It is relatively weak but it does render the converter essentially solid like you talked about earlier.

1997xj 09-10-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtons3 (Post 15893895)
Its not. Your LSD makes almost no difference. The only way youll see a difference is with a spool, mini-spool, or welded spider gears.

Even with the nonslip additive? Good to hear :-)

ninjakid 09-10-2013 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Its installed mostly.
Need to add support to the edges since I chopped a couple inches off each end and removed some stiffeners.
Don't really like the way it looks but I'll withhold judgement until I fiddle with it some more and see if it improves anything.
Looking straight at it you can barely see the bottom edge of the front axle.
Need to paint everything the same color to see if I can get it to blend in.
Not sure what diverting air into the middle of the tire will do.

rav 09-10-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjakid (Post 15894703)
Its installed mostly.
Need to add support to the edges since I chopped a couple inches off each end and removed some stiffeners.
Don't really like the way it looks but I'll withhold judgement until I fiddle with it some more and see if it improves anything.
Looking straight at it you can barely see the bottom edge of the front axle.
Need to paint everything the same color to see if I can get it to blend in.
Not sure what diverting air into the middle of the tire will do.

I would have cut the edges to blend it the way i had in my pic.

Charley3 09-10-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtons3 (Post 15893908)
It is. Lock-up converters have a clutch inside. It is relatively weak but it does render the converter essentially solid like you talked about earlier.

Can my LTC be modified to lock harder, stronger for 60 mph and 65 mph steep mountain freeways?

Would that help? Seems like it might. Then there'd be more time in 4th gear with locked TC, and less time wound up in 3rd with unlocked TC.

Is it true that TC doesn't lock in 3rd? Could it be modified to lock in 3rd (and 4th)?

Charley3 09-10-2013 07:35 PM

My air dam (same type as Ninjakid has) arrived in mail. No time to install yet.

I'll be looking for install tips and suggestions. I hope Ninjakid does a write up with more install details and pics than the prior writeup.

Maybe start a detailed write up thread for it? Purty please?

rav 09-10-2013 07:45 PM

When i installed mine. I took the center section of the existing flare (below the bumper) out and installed the air dam by centering the dam on the flare portion and then cut of those edges at the end to blend it with the fender flare and it came out looking pretty good. Here is my post on Naxja:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941439
I will be doing this again on my 99 2 door.

ninjakid 09-10-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rav (Post 15895133)

I would have cut the edges to blend it the way i had in my pic.

I am going to do something like that eventually.
I wanted to install it first to see what its like and how it sat before I did any serious mods to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using JeepForum

The time now is 02:49 PM.