MULTIPLE Electrical Failure! - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-25-2020, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

MULTIPLE Electrical Failure!

So I hopped in the car this morning for a quick trip down to the neighborhood shopping center. When I got in to return home, I started realizing I had multiple "device" failures. Got it home and performed a rundown of everything working and not working. This is what I found:

1. The multi-function "Stick Switch" on the steering column
- Turn Signals - NOT working
- Front Wipers/Washers - NOT working
- Cruise Control - WORKING
- Flash to Pass (Brights Flash) - WORKING

2. Dash Controls
- Radio - NOT working
- A/C Control Panel - NOT working
- Lighter/Power Outlet - NOT working
- Rear Wipers/Washers - WORKING

3. Instrument Panel - Everything seems to be WORKING

What I have done so far:
- Pulled and checked every fuse in the block - ALL good
- Spent quite a while perusing the wiring diagrams for all systems in my Haynes Manual, looking for common power supply circuitry over multiple devices. No luck.

Friends, I am STUMPED. Where should I start troubleshooting? Could I have "lost" a grounding point for a bunch of stuff?

ANY pointers on where to start would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

DY

DLYoung1 in Texas
'93 Stock XJ, 4.0, 2wd, AW4 tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
I would just check your battery and ground first. There are at least 2 grounds in the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NP242/skidplates/RC4.5"LA kit/33x12.5mudclaws/15x10rim/sliders&flares/trussed-locked8.8/winchbumper
post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, I may have gotten too focused on voltage supplies and not grounds. Under the hood I'm finding two small ground points (the short cable direct from battery - to the inside of the fender well right next to the battery) and the other from the firewall to the driver side of the valve cover. Both look and feel good to me. Certainly nothing that looks like it could have been a direct fail without being at all intermittent.

Anybody: Is there an additional ground point somewhere under the dash?

DLYoung1 in Texas

post #4 of 21 Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Friday Afternoon Bump!

Guys and Gals, I could really use some some input here. I searched the engine bay and came up with three ground points to the firewall and the fender wells on both sides. All have been cleaned and tightened. Don't think that was an issue.

Quick recap: Lost multiple devices, all at once (no intermittent in and out).

Front wipers, turn signals, power to a/c control panel, radio, lighter/power outlet all dead.

Anybody got a place to look? I dismantled the dash today and found nothing out of place.

Help!

DLYoung1 in Texas
post #5 of 21 Old 06-26-2020, 08:57 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

fuses AND relays. your haynes book is a good guide. ive used it to fix every wire problem ive had. it shows all ground points. i have RARELY EVER had a ground problem. some guys are obsessed with ground. trace voltage sources.you will find it...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #6 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 05:22 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

All of the things that are not working are on the same contacts in the ignition switch. Looks like a new switch would be in order. The non working circuits should have power in the run and accessory positions.
jay-h likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 06:48 AM
kadetklapp
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Carefully inspect the wiring harnesses for rodent damage. Sudden onset makes me suspect a squirrel or something has chewed the main harness going thru firewall.

**1997 Jeep Cherokee SE**
Former Police Car assigned to 54-26, RIP.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 07:31 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition Switch Location.jpg  
Attached Images

riderboy1961 likes this.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 07:33 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

BTW, excellent job of communicating what works and doesn't.

Radio, turn signals, blower motor are the 3 that should point you to the burned brown wire on the ignition switch. Fairly common issue. Too much load on that circuit.
2oldjeeps likes this.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #10 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help! I had completely forgotten about those circuits passing thru the ignition switch. Got the new switch in, but now I have a new bit of weirdness. All of the devices on that circuit are now "always hot"! I can turn on the wipers, turn signals, a/c and radio without the key even being in the switch!
Now, when I pulled the 2 mult plugs off of the old switch, one wire (purple) pulled out of the blue plug. I thought I reinserted it in the correct hole, but maybe I didn't?

DLYoung1 in Texas
post #11 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 04:46 PM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 99 and this happens to mine every yr or so. A shot of WD 40 in the ignition key slot solves the problem
post #12 of 21 Old 06-27-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Success! I guessed wrong on where that purple cable went back on the ignition switch terminal block. I moved it over one spot (to match the burned post from the old switch) and all is good, So apparently there is a "hot" terminal that will pass through battery voltage on that switch. Who knew?

Thanks to all for the input.

DY
riderboy1961 likes this.

DLYoung1 in Texas
post #13 of 21 Old 06-28-2020, 05:35 AM
kadetklapp
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLYoung1 View Post
Success! I guessed wrong on where that purple cable went back on the ignition switch terminal block. I moved it over one spot (to match the burned post from the old switch) and all is good, So apparently there is a "hot" terminal that will pass through battery voltage on that switch. Who knew?

Thanks to all for the input.

DY
So was just ignition switch?

**1997 Jeep Cherokee SE**
Former Police Car assigned to 54-26, RIP.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
DLYoung1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Monday Update! So, I got the new ignition switch in and (finally) patched correctly (that's another former repair story). All worked fine for about three days, but now I have a new anomaly that needs confirmation.

Blower circuit (ONLY - turn signals, A/C control, radio all still fine on that big ignition circuit) - I turn on the a/c, it runs for sometimes 5 min., sometimes 1 min., and the blower just quietly stops working. Again, I can feel the compressor is still engaged so it's just the blower. If I turn the a/c off for a minute or two, then back on, the blower comes back on for another "cycle". NO blown fuses.

First thought is the blower resistor block? Is it heating up and not passing current, then quickly cooling off when I turn the a/c off?
JWELK likes this.

DLYoung1 in Texas
post #15 of 21 Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 AM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLYoung1 View Post
Monday Update! So, I got the new ignition switch in and (finally) patched correctly (that's another former repair story). All worked fine for about three days, but now I have a new anomaly that needs confirmation.

Blower circuit (ONLY - turn signals, A/C control, radio all still fine on that big ignition circuit) - I turn on the a/c, it runs for sometimes 5 min., sometimes 1 min., and the blower just quietly stops working. Again, I can feel the compressor is still engaged so it's just the blower. If I turn the a/c off for a minute or two, then back on, the blower comes back on for another "cycle". NO blown fuses.

First thought is the blower resistor block? Is it heating up and not passing current, then quickly cooling off when I turn the a/c off?
Tap the blower, sometimes just hitting the heater box will cause it to start.
Sounds like bad brushes on the motor, mine failed around 260K. Check YouTube on how to replace yours, I was able to get mine out through the engine compartment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in