Money Pit or Good project - 96 XJ Classic Build thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 185 Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
The_Blacksmith

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Cue the music...

Inspection failed. Incorrectly failed me on the wheel adapters, as those are allowed, and spacers (over 1/4") are not. There is a technical distinction, but wouldn't listen. The guy is thorough, which I appreciate, and honest.

Rear brakes are out of spec, and the ebrake cable has started to rot/rub through, said it should be replaced.

Failed on the previous owner's floor pan repair, said PA started cracking down over the last few months on people with incorrect floor repairs. Im debating on doing my swap now, or fixing up the issues and trying again. Im going to have to do a Blacksmith style floor repair to get it 100%.

Need a beer, and a garage.
woot, do it my style, youll spend A TON less on making your own floors vs buying floor pans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Chris!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 185 Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know if I have the stamina to take it that long.

that decision comes after the carpet goes... Gives me a good reason to ditch the rear seat like I wanted anyhow. Going to be a 3 seater when Im done... that way I can take a friend along with us as well as have nice room for rifle cases.

But before that... cant move in my workroom or office, im re-doing the shelves so i can store my gear correctly and not spend as much time looking for tools.

Im the guy who makes new gauges, check out our gallery at Teamadw.com
post #108 of 185 Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Light in the tunnel... got a bead on a 8.25 locally thats already been converted to Grand disks, and has realtivly new spiders and clips. And a spare transfer case for cheap that sounds like it needs a rebuild, I'll leave it for a winter project and have a nice spare or trade fodder.

That solves having to do brakes in the rear, I HATE drum brakes with a passion. Maybe OK on an older bike, but a real PITA on a car.

Now just got to sell my spare 8.25.

post #109 of 185 Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I installed teh other night one of these to my sound bar. Nice thing is it can rotate a bit forward and back, is wired up in place of the stock light, and throws a TON more usable light for working back there.

Yes the soundbar looks that bad...

http://www.oznium.com/piranha-bar

thinking of getting 2 more for under my hood since I have no light there. and the company said they havent had any issues in under hood lighting in regard to heat. Heck, probably going to get some strips from them to convert my blinkers. Hmm.

post #110 of 185 Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, today was productive :

Yep, new axle in. With 96 ZJ disc brakes, and the parking brake lever modded to take stock XJ cables. Ive only got one cable in, waiting on the other to come in the mail, advance only had one). Has a lubelocker gasket... we will see how that holds up after a few fluid swaps.

Installed my rough country extended rear lines while I was at it, install of those things was easy, and they are pretty nice quality and braided, so it should help just a bit more with stopping power.

Also swapped out the fluid in the transfer case... it was black. Ugg. Made quick work with a suction gun that holds about 1/2 quart a go, and filled it up till it ran out the top with basic dextron. Going to do the front diff to, but it got to snowing a bit more than I expected.

Got my door lights working again too, put in a new door switch, coated from ended to end with dielectric grease. Tossed in a new intake temp sensor, since I had one here and it was the original. Every little bit should help getting the most out of a gallon of fuel.

The bad... found a space between my fender wall and the floor that I could see carpet. About a 4" hole. Going to start ripping out carpet this week. Still have no spot to properly coat and weld, so might just weld and chassisaver in the spring. Hate to do it, but this thing needs something. You should see all the chalk marks my mechanic put under there where the floor needed fixing to pass inspection. I may go quick and dirty all the same to buy time, but thats difficult because of the weather.

To make tonight even better, RC had a 30% off sale on shackle relocation kits today, so its been crossed of my wishlist and on to the stack of parts to be installed. Ive got to brace that floor back there fist though.

post #111 of 185 Old 12-17-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just as an add in, I replaced the front lights and harness some time ago. This is what I started with:

And this is what replaced it:

And

I am not worried about running these connectors because the headlight wires are now only activating the relays for the new harness. The turn signals would feed though the same connectors on a trailer, so it will work and has been working, not getting hot or anything. Getting clean wire was hard, that corrosion went all the way back some 8 or 10 inches, and in some cases, I just wicked as much solder and flux in as possible. Stiffened those wires up, but gave me a better connection. Some day, it will need replaced, but this will work for a season or 3, with how much dielectric grease in in all of it.

I also upgraded the harness a bit and soldered the crimped connections. It was made to a price point.

post #112 of 185 Old 01-01-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Since I had a gift cert and as usual everything needs replaced, I decided to go ahead today and get something simple done. Picked up one ofhttp://www.amazon.com/Monroe-SC2928-Magnum-Steering-Damper/dp/B000C53XRK/ref=cm_cmu_up_thanks_hdr which is a heck of a lot cheaper than most of the ones out there that are probably just the same thing repainted.

Was also able to get my JCR frame tie in brackets painted... forgot they came raw. Wind is to high to start on the bumper though.

May brave teh storm and wire up the pile of LEDs I got here.... The yellow strips are going inside the turn signal housings, and the red bars are going in the center taillight housing. the white bars will be going in my front dome light, under the hood on both jeeps... too dark right now, and these are rated to handle the weather and the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Dsc_1169.jpg  

post #113 of 185 Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Used up the last of my flux core today doing the inital welds on the JCR bumper kit. Got to go get an argon mix tank and hook up the rest of that kit to my lincoln to get going again. May happen this week.

Doing another stop motion on this too.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1383.jpg  

post #114 of 185 Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

My illustrious... "garage"
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2097.jpg  

post #115 of 185 Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Since I have no funds at the moment to pick up wire, I grabbed some sheet steel laying around, and some snips, and pulled my seats. Found there is a lot of fiberglass down there, and found 6 good sized holes.

I'll do a quick patch on them at the moment.

The good... The firewall portion looks to be good clean original painted metal.

The bad... everything else, and there are a few holes into the rocker panels. So its getting new rockers and guards this spring and summer.

post #116 of 185 Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
iSpark
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looking forward to seeing the LED's done!

2001 Silverstone XJ
2003 Dodge Ram ThunderRoad Hemi
post #117 of 185 Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lots of things got done this weekend. Put the JCR steering braces in... but found a problem. they are bent incorrectly for the front cross-member reinforcement. Got an email out on that one this afternoon, as soon as i download the pics from my camera.

Relocated the vac canister, not picture perfect, but it will work.

Got one shackle pulled yesterday, and pulling the other today. RC relocation kit and a pair of longer shackles are going in, should nicely even out the rearward slope I have. Im not looking to go too high in the rear, but the rear will be higher, just like stock. Call it "stinkbug" or whatever, I like ti and will probably even it out with enough crap in the back.

Just hope i dont get enough to get driveline vibes. Might order a set of shims, just in case.

post #118 of 185 Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Shackels installed and adjusted, minimum settings (45 degree shackle angle) gives me about 5" over stock. Hoping it might settle a hair

Driveline vibes have started, so its shims, and them maybe a hack and tap. Might as well, have a spare transfer case if I screw it up

Got pulled over on the way to get inspected this morning, for a bad inspection sticker (2/11). By 3 cop cars.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2940.jpg   DSC_2938.jpg  

post #119 of 185 Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Azzy

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Guess what just got an inspection sticker, and legit emissions... for the first time in (from what I can tell) 5 years, maybe more?

This calls for a beer!

post #120 of 185 Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 AM
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats! Nice to see how this has progressed, good work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in