• 1 Post By cruiser54
  • 1 Post By jeepguy03
  • 1 Post By axlaxl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Loose Rear End in the Rain

So today marks the second time in the last month or so that I took a clover leaf entry/exit to a highway in the rain and the rear end let loose on me.

Both times it was steady rain and I was going very slow, like 20-25mph and the rear just swung out on me. Fortunately I learned to drive on a 72 VW Beetle and the rear would get loose on any left hand turn when it rained so i'm a decent expert at correcting a sliding rear end.

But, if i had been going a normal speed like 35 mph I honestly think both situations would have turned out much worse. This is my second XJ so I've got a lot of experience driving them in different conditions and never had this happen before.

I don't think its my driving habits. So I'm starting to think its the tires. The thing is, they have a decent about of tread still on them, but, my mechanic did say they are "choppy".

I'm currently running 30x9.5 BFG All Terrain A/T at around 38 psi due to the pot holes all over NYC.

At this point I think I am just going to buy a new set of tires and try to sell the old ones, but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with an XJ.

Until then, should I lower the PSI? Could it be the shocks starting to get soft (something I've noticed lately)?

Any advice or opinion or general banter is always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 04:41 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

tires was my first thought - what tire size info is listed on the driver door decal?

Your rear diff is not locked, ie a locker, anything in rear of jeep 30 cases of beer?
xjpro likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

38 psi, OMG how do you keep the fillings in your teeth ? Somewhere between 28-32 psi would be better.

Regarding All Terrain A/T BFG's, I have found that as they get older and the tread depth diminishes, they do tend to get slippery in the rain.

What does the tread depth measure ?
jeepguy03 likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 PM
fawndog

1997 ZJ 

I've felt this on "hard tires" with a posi, I think posis tend to break loose sooner too. New rubber for sure, will change that feeling.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 11:53 PM
ZR7 Ken

+1 on tires. I had a V8 Dodge Dakota that I couldn't keep the rear straight in the rain on the factory Goodyear tires. I replaced them with some Michelins and it was night and day.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 08:08 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You put enough air in those tires to hydroplane on drive pavement.

p.s. Too much air in your tires makes them worse on potholes, not better. If they're worn out, replace them.
jeepguy03 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Drop the pressure as suggested and check the date code on the tires.
jeepguy03 likes this.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 12:39 PM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
(if you are thinking of changing to different tires)

Best tires I have ever driven on to date: "Nitto A/T Terra Grappler G2" 10ply - Super Quiet on highway.

These tires were on a vehicle I purchased a couple years ago. I was not too fond of the Looks of these tires But, as I drove on them and began to really appreciate them. Super heavy duty (10 ply) and were the Quietest Tires I have ever driven on including any passenger tires!!
Excellent Traction in Rain/Standing Water.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0439.jpg  

Thank You,
Bo
post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Do the chalk test across the tires to see what the best pressure to run would be. When I had 30" BFG's on my XJ it was right around 28-30 PSI depending on what I was carrying.
TheBoogieman likes this.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #10 of 13 Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 PM
jeepdave551
2016 ZJ 

mechanic did say they are "choppy

that your answer the peaks are the olny thing on the ground ,maby do a burn out get some flat spots the will rest on the road
post #11 of 13 Old 03-31-2020, 06:13 PM
Beemer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The worst wet road tires I ever had on my xj were the BFG's. When I replaced them with Michelins, it was like a new ride. I didn't like the BFG's on dry pavement either. Hard braking usually induced a skid and hard acceleration would cause spin. After 20K on them with plenty of tread left, I replaced them.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just had my 4 new Dick Cepek Fun Country 31's arrive and after one look at the tread depth I realized just how worn down my BFG's were.

Also, I adjust the PSI, I had read the gauge wrong, they were at 34 psi not 38, I dropped em down to 30 just to be safe. Will get the DC FC's mounted on Monday and toss the old ones.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlaxl View Post
Just had my 4 new Dick Cepek Fun Country 31's arrive and after one look at the tread depth I realized just how worn down my BFG's were.
I'm a Dick Cepek tire fan, after many years of running Mickey Thompson MTZ tires. My Extreme Country tires are wearing excellent and very quiet for a MT. I replaced my almost new Goodyear Wrangler tires when I went up in size. I sold my Goodyear tires for $200 on craigslist.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ new tires1.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in