Long life antifreeze / coolant - trust it to last longer? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2021, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
jbirdTX
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Long life antifreeze / coolant - trust it to last longer?

I changed my antifreeze in my '01 XJ almost 3 years and 30,000 miles ago with the Prestone long life antifreeze that claims to last up to 5 years or 150,000 miles. The original maintenance schedule recommended changing it at 2 years or 30,000 miles. I want to see if other people trust the long-life claim or have experience with extending their service interval with long-life antifreeze. Do you save your time and money and trust the 5 years / 150,000 mile claim, and maybe just check your antifreeze with a tester at some point? Or, would you just stick with your original maintenance schedule?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2021, 08:37 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nothing lasts forever. I am a master tech of over 40 years. It is the shortest way to post this. I will say this again. Nothing lasts forever. Which is cheaper? Changing fluids too often or doing major repairs?

If you look at a vehicles factory maintenance schedule. I do not care who you are or where you drive. If you really read the schedules, your vehicle will qualify for severe maintenance rather than normal driving. This moves all maintenances forward by mileage and time.

Dont mess with extending the life of coolant. The downsides are plugged heater cores for instance which become more and more labor intensive in newer vehilces.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2021, 09:17 PM
nathan915

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The long life coolant in theory has a better additive package so the corrosion resistance will last longer. This does nothing to help with contamination though. You'll still be circulating gunk and sediment through your cooling system after a couple of years. I would replace it now for the peace of mind. It's cheap and easy. Replacing parts is not.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 12:27 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I use the green stuff so this is kinda like comparing apples to oranges.
But owning an '00 with the 0331 head I have a tendency to go overboard with maintenance.
I swap mine every other year. And at best thinking there is 6K on it when I do.
One reason is that there is always about a gallon left in there when I do.
Another reason is I pay $10 for a gallon of full strength stuff and a gallon of distilled water runs a buck.
So that gives me the 2 gallons I need to do the job. So I am OK with spending $6 a year. LOL.
Last I own a Lisle funnel. With that and my Ext Idle switch taking my time it is about a 75 minute job.
And about 45 minutes of that is me standing around while she is running letting all the air burp out.
So between the cost and the time it takes to do the job I don't see how I can not do what I do.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I too use the old green stuff in my XJs. The "long life"and all the other specialty coolants are really for the all aluminum systems. And even those I don't trust to last as long as they claim. The only aluminum in an XJ is the radiator and water pump so the green stuff works just fine as long as you use distilled water. Tap water has too many minerals and will allow galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and cast iron.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #6 of 6 Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
jbirdTX
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So, I went ahead and changed my coolant last weekend and found some sediment in the system. It wasn't severe, but it was good to go ahead and flush it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in