Little Things With My New Jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 05:30 PM
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor
I've never actually read how to remove the switch, or open up the module with the switches in it. The few threads I've read with people that have tried found, like myself, that even if you take all the screws out and try to pry it open, something it preventing it from opening.

Do you know how it opens?
Yes, I have done it. A word of caution--if you are not familiar with small mechanisms, stay out of the switch assy. I design electronic equipment for a living, so I know my way around this stuff, and I found it a PITA, but the end result was a switch assy that works like new.

Here is how to fix the lockout switch, if my memory serves me well:
1. remove the switch assy from the door panel
2. pry ALL the finger levers off of all the window switches, the door lock switch, and the window lockout switch. They are pressed on pretty tight, but with some even, steady pressure on both sides of a lever/button, it will pop off.
3. You can ignore the mirror switch buttons, IIRC.
4. Once the buttons are removed, the cover over the switch assembly can be removed. A couple of screws on the back of the printed circuit board, along with some snap fit tabs through slots in the board, and the cover will pop off, exposing the switches themselves.
5. To fix the doorlock switch, the button plunger and switch slider snap into the switch body. Using an Exacto-knife, you can lever the snaps apart, and open up the switch cover that contains the button plunger and switch sliding contact. CAUTION--there is a small spring that acts as a toggling spring inside there---DO NOT let it pop out and disappear.
6. The switch contacts in the switch body (which are soldered to the printed circuit board) need to be bent out so they make stronger contact with the swtich slider assembly. Careful--all you need to move them is about 15 thousandths of an inch.
7. Reassemble in reverse order.
8. Enjoy a lockout switch that works as intended.

AZ-Jeff
I don't own an XJ any longer, but I still think they are the best of all the Jeep products ever made. My XJ was my favorite vehicle in my 50+ years of driving.
So...I stick around and give advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 11:57 PM
filluptrk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For your window problems search for 97+ Power Window Fix w/pics. That will tell you an easy way to take care of it, and it works great. It is a heck of a lot easier than trying to take that switch apart. Phil
post #18 of 18 Old 07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filluptrk
For your window problems search for 97+ Power Window Fix w/pics. That will tell you an easy way to take care of it, and it works great. It is a heck of a lot easier than trying to take that switch apart. Phil
I will agree with that. I was the one to created the original "jumper wire" fix that has the write-up on this board.

For those persons who don't want the hillbilly fix of bypassing the lockout switch forever (such as those persons who have CHILDREN in the back seat), my other write up above will restore the original lockout function, IF you are careful.

AZ-Jeff
I don't own an XJ any longer, but I still think they are the best of all the Jeep products ever made. My XJ was my favorite vehicle in my 50+ years of driving.
So...I stick around and give advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in