• 1 Post By Michaelj51
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim
  • 1 Post By ddraeg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
D917
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hello.

I have a stock 1999 jeep Cherokee XJ sport. It's a daily driver and it's not used for offroading.

The rear is sagging and i figured this could be a good time to lift the Cherokee.

I have a set of tires 265/75R16 on TJ Rubicon MOAB wheels in storage. Originally planned for a wrangler but that changed. These are almost 32" tires. I believe they are 31.6" in height.

I'm looking at 4.5" lift from Rough Country. It's currently 900$. Specifically the: 4.5IN JEEP X-SERIES SUSPENSION LIFT SYSTEM
I know not many are fans of rough country. But i dont want to spend a lot and that's where rough country comes in. Again I don't use the jeep for offroading. If i were to guess i maybe drive the jeep 5000 miles a year

Some oncerns, i don't want to remove the original fender flares. I'm willing to trim the "skirt" from the underneath of the front bumper if needed.

Can i use the 4.5 rough country lift without removing the original fender flares? I dont plan on any offroad use.

Is this a direct bolt on lift kit? What other parts should i anticipate purchasing that the lift kit does not include?

Finally, the long arm lift kits, are those mainly for offroad use?

I attached a pic of what i would want my jeep to look like and my current stock status.

I appreciate any insight.

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191126-184708_Gallery_1574815655167.jpg   20190620_184242_1574815694662.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D917 View Post
Hello.

I have a stock 1999 jeep Cherokee XJ sport. It's a daily driver and it's not used for offroading.

The rear is sagging and i figured this could be a good time to lift the Cherokee.

I have a set of tires 265/75R16 on TJ Rubicon MOAB wheels in storage. Originally planned for a wrangler but that changed. These are almost 32" tires. I believe they are 31.6" in height.

I'm looking at 4.5" lift from Rough Country. It's currently 900$. Specifically the: 4.5IN JEEP X-SERIES SUSPENSION LIFT SYSTEM
I know not many are fans of rough country. But i dont want to spend a lot and that's where rough country comes in. Again I don't use the jeep for offroading. If i were to guess i maybe drive the jeep 5000 miles a year

Some oncerns, i don't want to remove the original fender flares. I'm willing to trim the "skirt" from the underneath of the front bumper if needed.

Can i use the 4.5 rough country lift without removing the original fender flares? I dont plan on any offroad use.

Is this a direct bolt on lift kit? What other parts should i anticipate purchasing that the lift kit does not include?

I attached a pic of what i would want my jeep to look like and my current stock status.

I appreciate any insight.
" I don't plan any offload use" ??

I can't imagine why you'd want to spend the money / labor costs. Loose gas mileage and handling characteristics etc.. if you are not intending some fairly serious offload use?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
D917
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anything close to off roading would be the snowy winters in the midwest.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Your stock xj, with it's lower center of gravity, will do much better on snowy roads, especially if there are other vehicles using them [ traffic] than the lifted version.

Except,of course, for empty parking lots and squirreling around
Kolak likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 01:31 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Anything close to off roading would be the snowy winters in the midwest.
Plus what people seem to forget is that you want the pizza cutter size tires for the snow
At least you used too.
Maybe things have changed.
I just run a 225 75 15 on a stock Jeep all year round.
But if I ran different tires in the winter they would be 215's.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 01:55 AM
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just did mine, didn't really want to lift but gained about 3 1/2" over my worst corner, I think generally its now 1 1/2 over stock.

Video of me doing it.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 05:54 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No lift kit is complete, some lift kits are more complete than others. Don't forget extended bumpstops.

At 4.5" of lift, 32's will fit fine, maybe requiring trimming some plastic. XJ lift kits do "bolt on" , but expect some rust seized bolts. Long arms are more for off-road, control arm drop brackets are less expensive and do about the same thing.

Read a ton of threads about lift kit installs, rust seized leaf spring bolts, and broken shock bolts.

My green 1998 is lifted 3" and has never been off road. I have the big blue XJ with 5.5" of lift and a lifted CJ-7 to play in. I used to daily drive the blue XJ summer and winter lift kit and all, no problems.
TheBoogieman likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelj51 View Post
Your stock xj, with it's lower center of gravity, will do much better on snowy roads, especially if there are other vehicles using them [ traffic] than the lifted version.
We got 3' of snow is 2009 and my stock XJ wouldn't get out of my driveway. My lifted Jeep cruised through my 5 hour driving job though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #9 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelj51 View Post
" I don't plan any offload use" ??

I can't imagine why you'd want to spend the money / labor costs. Loose gas mileage and handling characteristics etc.. if you are not intending some fairly serious offload use?
Because it's his Jeep and money. My lifted Jeeps with the wider stance are far more stable than stock. My Rubicon gets 16.5 mpg.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #10 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 09:13 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

CJ7-Tim answered your questions best. I'd go with Zone over RC. Remember, it's the shocks that make or break the ride quality. I recently swapped some Rancho rs5000x shocks on mine and couldn't be happier with the ride.

p.s. Nice looking Jeep. I love red Jeeps.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ 2 13!.jpg   Rubi 2 24 1 (2).jpg  

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What other parts should i anticipate purchasing that the lift kit does not include?
You will definitely need a longer rear brake hose (not lines). A stock YJ line works great, is cheap and 4" longer. I would also buy these in advance in case the rear upper shock bolts snap off. RC sells them.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ bar pin flag nuts.jpg  

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-28-2019, 04:29 AM
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You will definitely need a longer rear brake hose (not lines). A stock YJ line works great, is cheap and 4" longer. I would also buy these in advance in case the rear upper shock bolts snap off. RC sells them.
These would be great. I fished bolts on one side but on the other side I couldn't for the life of me knock those captive nuts out. I had to cut a hole in the floor and work down. They had a lot of weld on them and I had to Dremel it off before spinning off with a socket. This did allow me to weld the new bolts in position.
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D917
When you lift 4-link front ends (like the XJ), you cause an alteration of the angle of the control arms. This causes the control arms to be more "straight on" to bumps, making for a rougher ride. The more lift, the worse the problem. At 4.5" of lift, you will definitely want to consider this. There are two solutions to this issue.

The first, and best, is long arms. This effectively moves the rear of the control arm toward the rear of the vehicle, allowing for a shallower control arm angle and a better ride. The drawback is some complexity to the install, but it is not that bad.

The second method is a set of drop brackets for the control arms. This corrects the control arm angle by lowering the point where it mounts to the frame of the vehicle. The drawbacks to drop brackets are (possible) ground clearance issues, due to the drop brackets themselves, and greater stress on the control arm brackets and frame rail. If you have no plans for offroading, either method should work fine for you, and will give you a better ride.

If you would like to correct the rear end sag cheaply and without lifting, a set of rear leaves from under an early 2000s model 4X4 compact GMC Jimmy or Chevy Blazer will bolt up under an XJ with minimal modifications, and will restore your ride height to stock, or maybe a 1/2" or so of lift. It put mine to stock height, and I wish I had done it years before I did!

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in