To Keep the Jeep or Not to Keep the Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 01-16-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Metalmorphoses

Unhappy To Keep the Jeep or Not to Keep the Jeep

Hey all,

I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee that's down at my parents' place in Southern California. I moved about two years ago to Portland, Oregon. They've been holding onto it for me because since I got it, I've had dreams of turning it into an adventure machine.

So here'e the crux of it: it's having some sort of electrical issue my dad can't figure out (which is surprising, he can figure out pretty much any issue with any vehicle), so it can't pass smog, so he can't get it registered, and the city of Buena Park is saying an unregistered vehicle can't be kept on the street, nor even on his own property. We're having to put it into storage.

This thing was my first car, got it when I was seventeen. It's got a bunch of sentimental value for me, and aside from this one stupid mysterious issue, it's solid. So.

To keep, or not to keep? If I keep it, I'l have to have it shipped up to Portland, Oregon, which would cost (at the very least) $650.
If it was driveable, I'd still have to fly down there and drive it up here, total cost probably being about the same.

The issue he can't figure out, as far as I understand it (bear with me, I'm not mechanically inclined as of yet so all this makes little sense to me) is:

- it's running too lean, it backfires and the engine temp skyrockets, not enough fuel to keep it running
- seems to be a high impedance problem
- he's been through all the sensors and they're all working properly
- he seems to think it's a computer/electrical issue
- he pinned the 5v input sensor to the output? don't know what that means
- he can't seem to find any main wiring harnesses for that year of jeep
- he put a new '89/'90 computer system in it, didn't seem to solve the issue

I asked him if it would be worth running a code check on it, he said there are no available code checkers for that year of jeep.

So... I guess what I'm asking of this forum and other Jeep-lovers is two things:

Anyone have any insights on this issue?
And
Is it worth keeping this Jeep and spending the money to get it up here?
I want to say yes, because I love that damn thing, and Oregon is the perfect place for it, but with my limited Jeep knowledge, if it just doesn't make sense to keep it... </3

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions, advice, anything anyone has to offer!

~ Stephanie

Tags
1987 , cherokee , help needed , straight six , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in