Jeep will crank, spontaneously quit. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep will crank, spontaneously quit.

I own a 1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with a V6, 4.0L Engine. Far as I know, it still has mostly original parts.

Here's the deal:

We were driving toward the next large town in WV. My boyfriend had to hit the breaks quickly to avoid some object in the road. After moving around said object, the jeep suddenly quit. What I mean by that is the motor stopped, but the radio, lights, everything else was still running fine, no significant dimming. We tried to get it to start back after drifting into a parking lot of a church that happened to be right by the road and it will NOT crank. It is acting like it's not either getting enough fuel or something. It's firing far as I know, but won't start in P or N.

Although I'm not a mechanic, I was assuming it was "maybe" the timing belt/chain or the Fuel pump/injector. Usually, I can get a good notion as to what is wrong, but I just don't know how to fix it.

Uh... help? If someone knows more than me about this, or needs details or whatever, reply. I'm watching this thread via e-mail and will reply when I can.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Try spraying some starting fluid into the air intake tube that connects to the throttle body. If it starts momentairily you have a fuel issue, if it doesn't test for spark. Let us know what you find. And you have the I6 engine, not V6. I assume it is turning over just not starting correct?

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It's trying to turn, just doesn't seem to either be getting fuel or fire enough to start completely. I don't know where the intake for the throttle body is. Care to explain?

post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The airbox where the airfilter goes has a large hose coming out of it and going to the throttle body, remove the hose from the airbox enough to spray some starting fluid in there and see if it will start. If it doesn't pull a plug wire and plug, then have someone turn the engine over while you hold the plug against the engine for a ground, with it connected to the plug wire and see if you have a nice blue spark. If it isn't getting spark I would lean toward the Crankshaft Position Sensor or CPS being bad. They can go out without warning and shut off the spark to the engine. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...ite-up-197260/

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
post #5 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

XJ,

I'll see if I can't try the airbox idea tomorrow. My boyfriend's cuz actually suggested the crankshaft sensor issue just last night as well. It went bad one other time and we had to replace it just last year about this time. Hopefully that stupid thing didn't fail already. It might have just gotten dirty. If it did, then all we have to do is clean it and plug it back up.

What signs would there be of fuel pump failure? (please give explicit detail)
post #6 of 19 Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

You could bleed the fuel pressure off the rail at the schrader valve. It looks kinda like a valve stem, and is on the drivers side top of the engine. It is a tube that connects to the injectors. Push the valve in(keep eyes away and protected) and let the fuel pressure off. Then turn the key to the on position and let the pump prime. If you hear the pump running turn the key off and push the valve again to see if you have pressure. This should let you know if the pump is working.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

WE tried all the options you have suggested. The spark plugs are sparking. We tried the fuel pump thing. My bf even crawled up underneath and listened to the fuel pump and it seemed dead. He checked the schrader valve and it was without pressure. Looks like it might actually be the fuel pump.

Do '88 Jeep cherokee pioneers have the kill switch or collision switch? I asked someone in Advanced Auto and they looked it up and said it didn't. Yes? No? My uncle keeps swearing it has one, but he could have looked at a newer jeep model online.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would assume the fuel pump is bad, but you can run a length of wire directly to the pump at the top of the tank and power it straight from the battery. If it still doesn't work the pump is bad.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Still... eliminating all other simpler possibilities... Does a Jeep have a Collision or Kill switch? If so, WHERE? My uncle is swearing that is the problem, but I doubt it. Trying to find out before I call a servicer Monday. If there is none, then fine... but I still gotta know.

Thanks!

"Wherever you go, there you are." -- Jon Kabat
post #10 of 19 Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Fir3Chi3f
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
I would assume the fuel pump is bad, but you can run a length of wire directly to the pump at the top of the tank and power it straight from the battery. If it still doesn't work the pump is bad.
Would defiantly do that first, replaced my fuel pump and it turned out to not be the problem.

I actually had a similar issue, although I haven't seen anyone else on here that had the problem I had.
I ended up pulling the computer out and there was a burnt diode inside. -unusual

after replacing it my fuel pump doesn't shut off, so I'm guess there is a short somewhere that caused the diode to die in the first place. The jeep fuel pump usually shuts off after about 5sec with the key in the run position but no crank. I assume the same would happen during an accident that killed the engine.

Added info: this did happen to me while driving it, same as you. In my case I wasn't getting fuel or spark, from this dead diode.

Fun needs a full tank of gas

My headlining
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fir3Chi3f; 11-07-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add info
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

To fir3chi3f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Chi3f View Post
I actually had a similar issue, although I haven't seen anyone else on here that had the problem I had.
I ended up pulling the computer out and there was a burnt diode inside. -unusual
Would this computer be located on top of the motor near the accelerator cable? I have a gas pedal that has been sticking occasionally for months, as though someone triggered the cruise control. Thankfully, if one turns the Jeep to Neutral or Park, kills the engine, and restarts, it resets the issue. This could be part of the problem as well.

I think I'll be picking up a haynes repair manual at my local Advanced Auto. And no, I don't like Chilton books very well. I don't like their method of giving directions.

Nice use of numbers and letters, there. Creative.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Fir3Chi3f
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The computer is the shiny box right above the gas pedal, I'd suggest opening it if all that xjfever said doesn't work because I found the computer to be a real pain to get back in and as I said it is unlikely with everything else that could fail.

Yeah and I wish I had armor too

My headlining
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

They are not equipped with an impact switch. A bad fuel pump relay could be the problem.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
bludragon88cher
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Cruiser--

Just called my local dealer and he told me that this morning about the impact switch. I was rather dismayed.

Where would I find the relay for the fuel pump? I know I ask a lot of questions, but I would rather learn the RIGHT way than be ignorant and attempt to fix it only to screw it up more. This is the only vehicle I own and I can't afford to buy another -- hence the questions. I hope it is something lower cost than replacing the fuel pump itself. My neighbor who owns a jeep as well said fuel pumps are between $50 and $70+.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Fir3Chi3f
1987 XJ Cherokee 

A good investment before spending money on parts is a Haynes Manual 10-15$ I imagine. Better still would be the factory service manual but, I've seen those cost 100$ easy but say everything about everything.

The relay is under a cover on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I don't have mine out but the Haynes should tell you which one it is and to test you would just switch the relay with one you know works like high beams.

My headlining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in