Jeep cherokee fuel pump positive lead gone bad - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBKreme

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Jeep cherokee fuel pump positive lead gone bad

Hi there, I'm new, but my jeep isn't. I have an 89 Cherokee 4.0, 4x4 and an AW4 trans.

A couple of weeks ago I was hitting some trails with my buddy and I had this weird issue where the jeep would just shut off intermittently and I would have to turn it back on to continue moving or try to make it back home. I had this happen quite a few more times after the initial shut off. I didn't have any sort of a clue as to what the problem was. The jeep finally gave out and decided he would trail no more that day so we towed him back with our tractor. got it home it was dark and we couldn't figure it out at all. we went back a few days after and found out the fuel pump wasn't working at all so I ordered a replacement and a fuel filter, and bam it worked! (for like 5 minutes) then the same thing happened. I was messing around and I checked the connector to the fuel pump to see if it was getting power and it wasn't, I checked the relay, the relay turned out to be fine, and I looked and looked and looked for a fuel pump fuse but no such luck. What I ended up doing is I ran a positive wire from a constant in the fuse box and ran it to the fuel pump connector giving the positive lead power and now it works but, it is sending way more fuel than I think it needs and I'm pretty sure it is bypassing the fuel regulator or something. TBH I don't know what kind of other problems could come of the rigged up solution I have for now.

If anybody knows where I can maybe find a fuse location for the fuel pump so I can possibly be rid of this problem and, drive with a little less anxiety that would be great! Or if anybody else knows of this issue and would like to share some insight that'd be cool too.

Thanks yall

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBKreme View Post
Hi there, I'm new, but my jeep isn't. I have an 89 Cherokee 4.0, 4x4 and an AW4 trans.

A couple of weeks ago I was hitting some trails with my buddy and I had this weird issue where the jeep would just shut off intermittently and I would have to turn it back on to continue moving or try to make it back home. I had this happen quite a few more times after the initial shut off. I didn't have any sort of a clue as to what the problem was. The jeep finally gave out and decided he would trail no more that day so we towed him back with our tractor. got it home it was dark and we couldn't figure it out at all. we went back a few days after and found out the fuel pump wasn't working at all so I ordered a replacement and a fuel filter, and bam it worked! (for like 5 minutes) then the same thing happened. I was messing around and I checked the connector to the fuel pump to see if it was getting power and it wasn't, I checked the relay, the relay turned out to be fine, and I looked and looked and looked for a fuel pump fuse but no such luck. What I ended up doing is I ran a positive wire from a constant in the fuse box and ran it to the fuel pump connector giving the positive lead power and now it works but, it is sending way more fuel than I think it needs and I'm pretty sure it is bypassing the fuel regulator or something. TBH I don't know what kind of other problems could come of the rigged up solution I have for now.

If anybody knows where I can maybe find a fuse location for the fuel pump so I can possibly be rid of this problem and, drive with a little less anxiety that would be great! Or if anybody else knows of this issue and would like to share some insight that'd be cool too.

Thanks yall
Have you tried running a new wire of the same wire gauge from the fuel pump relay, to the fuel pump? This should have it operating the way the engineers intended the system should operate.

Why do you think it's getting too much fuel? Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it, or done a controlled fuel flow? Why do you think it's bypassing the fuel regulator?

I can't remember what the 1989 fuel delivery system looks like, but if you have a factory vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator, & if you take the vacuum hose off & sniff the fuel pressure regulator & smell fuel, you've got a failed fuel pressure regulator.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fuel pump , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in