Instrument cluster lights only work sometimes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
crruuska
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Instrument cluster lights only work sometimes

Hey all,
I have a 94 Cherokee and the lights on the gauges never seem to work properly. Usually they will be somewhat lit up and then a little while later they will stop illuminating. Is this a common problem? Could it be my grounds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2019, 12:59 AM
CherokeeTamer
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Is it just your instument cluster lights or all dash lights? If it's all dash lights (shifter, ac controls, etc.) Then you may want to consider replacing the headlight/dimmer switch. Mine started doing this a few years back and I found that it was the culprit.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
crruuska
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTamer View Post
Is it just your instument cluster lights or all dash lights? If it's all dash lights (shifter, ac controls, etc.) Then you may want to consider replacing the headlight/dimmer switch. Mine started doing this a few years back and I found that it was the culprit.
I'll have to check tomorrow. I believe it is all of the interior lights. If not, what other culprits are there?

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The headlight/dimmer switch, or a bad ground will be the most likely culprits. I'm putting my money on the switch.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
crruuska
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
The headlight/dimmer switch, or a bad ground will be the most likely culprits. I'm putting my money on the switch.
On Napa, the headlight/dimmer switch is the turn signal stalk. Is that what you're referring to? On the stalk I've noticed the push button on the end of it doesn't do anything when pushed and the switch doesn't do anything either. It seems like it would be for cruise control.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 06:12 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

We were referring to the headlight switch in the dash, on the far left side. The "dimmer" that CherokeeTamer referred to is the dimmer for the dash lights, which is incorporated into the headlight switch. That is the feature that allows you to turn the knob of the headlight switch and dim/brighten the dash lights. You may want to try turning the knob both ways with at least the parking lights turned on and see if you get any light at any point of the adjustment. It is not uncommon for the variable resistor that makes up the dimmer circuit to break along its length, causing the lights to not work if it is adjusted beyond that point. The "headlight dimmer" you were referring to from NAPA is the dimmer switch to switch between high and low beams for the headlights. The interior lights do not route through that particular switch.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

post #7 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
crruuska
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
We were referring to the headlight switch in the dash, on the far left side. The "dimmer" that CherokeeTamer referred to is the dimmer for the dash lights, which is incorporated into the headlight switch. That is the feature that allows you to turn the knob of the headlight switch and dim/brighten the dash lights. You may want to try turning the knob both ways with at least the parking lights turned on and see if you get any light at any point of the adjustment. It is not uncommon for the variable resistor that makes up the dimmer circuit to break along its length, causing the lights to not work if it is adjusted beyond that point. The "headlight dimmer" you were referring to from NAPA is the dimmer switch to switch between high and low beams for the headlights. The interior lights do not route through that particular switch.
Okay thank you. Do you know what the function of the switches on the turn signal stalk are? The wipers work but the push button on the end and the switch close to the end do not work. It seems like they would be for cruise control but I don't think the 94' had that. Could be wrong though.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 01:33 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Cruise control was indeed an option in '94. The button on the end of, and switch on the side of, the multi-function switch stalk would indeed be for cruise. The controls shouldn't be there unless the vehicle has cruise, unless someone before you replaced the stalk with one for cruise. Look under the hood. If there is an actuator mounted to the firewall, with a cable connecting it to the throttle body, yours came with cruise. Its possible that you have it, but it doesn't work.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Wallyb4

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Also check the grounds in the engine compartment on the drivers fender well and on the fire wall.c Make sure they are clean and tight. I had the same issue and found out it was the grounds. Good luck.

Walter Ballard
97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
My Toy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in