Inop Intermittent Wiper Module? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-14-2021, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Inop Intermittent Wiper Module?

I didn't find a JF section for geographical area threads, so here goes. Please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere.

My 1993 XJ intermittent wipers don't work; Lo, Hi, & Pulse do work. I ordered another intermittent module from Dead Jeep, installed it, the intermittent wipers still don't work. Is there anyone in the Marysville/Arlington WA area with a working intermittent wiper, earlier XJ that would be willing to let me plug my modules in to test them? Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you sure module is the problem?

The wiper switch?
Wiring to module, power or ground?

DO you have a wiring dia?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-15-2021, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, I tested those items in a simple way. The module can be taken out and the module connectors connected to each other. Then it behaves like a non-intermittent wiper truck. My truck's wiper system behaves like a normal non-intermittent wiper truck when I do that. So I believe the wiring surrounding the module is good. I would like to confirm that test by plugging both modules I have into a wiper system with a known working intermittent setup.

I have a factory wiring diagram for my 1993 truck. I've figured out most of the intermittent wiper diagram (Sheet 60), except the DELAY part. When the 3-gang wiper switch is put in the DELAY operating position, 12v goes through the 2nd-gang switch DELAY position to the DELAY position in the 3rd-gang switch, and onto terminal G of the intermittent wiper module upper connector. That doesn't make sense. It seems to me it should go to terminal E (the LO wiper motor brush) instead of terminal G.

I'd like to post a pdf of Sheet 60, but can't due to not enough posts, having recently joined JF.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2021, 04:28 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am comfortable with wiring* BUT not tonight busy, tired and medicated.
Did you check is terminal G getting a variable voltage as the switch is moved thru delay?

Give me some time to look into this,

* these old jeep diagrams ( i call them mickey mouse) are lacking in my opinion and I avoid old jeep wiring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 93XJ wipers.pdf (143.7 KB, 4 views)

post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2021, 04:55 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have NO time tonight sorry.
this is a 94xj wiper dia I am comparing them I believe same part #- this diagram is easier for me.

I think these attachments will help let me know

SORRY GTG
Attached Thumbnails
94xj troubletree.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 94XJ_wiper.pdf (868.8 KB, 2 views)

post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

When I click on your '93XJ wipers.pdf' link in 'post #4 of 5', I'm sent to a JF page that says 'Our records show that you have already registered under the name of XJsRule. If you have lost your password, click here. If you would like to modify your profile, click here.' and the pdf doesn't download. Weird.

Your '94XJ_wiper.pdf' link in 'post #5 of 5' does download when I click on it. Your factory wiring diagram for 1994 XJ Intermittent Wipers/Washer (Sheet 64) is identical to my 93XJ factory intermittent wiper wiring diagram (Sheet 60). The same conundrum about terminal G (should be terminal E) exists. Terminal G goes to 'LCD Illumination Relay' and 'Headlamp Delay Module' which makes no sense.

I've been planning on doing some analytic measurements of the system (i.e., '...getting variable voltage on G when moving Delay knob...'), but I no longer have a shop (poor ol' truck is stuck outside), and haven't gotten to it with all the damn rain. It's Ok, I'm very comfortable with electrical stuff, I'll figure it out. I'd just like to know for sure that the intermittent modules are either good or bad. Lotta JF & other forums work has been put into figuring those suckers out, but in my research I haven't come across any way to test them on the bench.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-16-2021, 12:56 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiper switch.pdf (545.5 KB, 3 views)

post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2021, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the wiper switch schematic in your post #6! My factory manual doesn't have that one, it's what I need to troubleshoot the int. wiper switch. The connection test chart just summarizes the schematic, I'll put an ohmmeter across the terminals mentioned in that chart, and report the results.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2021, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I sent a reply two days ago that apparently got lost somehow, here it is again:

"When I click on your '93XJ wipers.pdf' link in 'post #4 of 5', I'm sent to a JF page that says 'Our records show that you have already registered under the name of XJsRule. If you have lost your password, click here. If you would like to modify your profile, click here.' and the pdf doesn't download. Weird.

Your '94XJ_wiper.pdf' link in 'post #5 of 5' does download when I click on it. Your factory wiring diagram for 1994 XJ Intermittent Wipers/Washer (Sheet 64) is identical to my 93XJ factory intermittent wiper wiring diagram (Sheet 60). The same conundrum about terminal G (should be terminal E) exists. Terminal G goes to 'LCD Illumination Relay' and 'Headlamp Delay Module' which makes no sense.

I've been planning on doing some analytic measurements of the system, but I no longer have a shop (poor ol' truck is stuck outside), and haven't gotten to it with all the damn rain. It's Ok, I'm very comfortable with electrical stuff, I'll figure it out. I'd just like to know for sure that the intermittent modules are either good or bad."

Edit 10/16/2021: My posts I guess have passed Moderator scrutiny as they are posting right away now. Also, '93XJ wipers.pdf ' does download. It is completely different from my 1993 factory manual wiper schematic. As said, mine is just like your '94XJ_wiper.pdf'.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-17-2021, 07:23 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

your comment "As said, mine is just like your '94XJ_wiper.pdf'."

My post #4 comment explains the problem. read the * asterisk - this diagram issue is typical

good luck.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-17-2021, 07:54 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had to go through about 3-4 junkyard wiper modules before I found one that worked.
I did this twice (for my YJ and for my girlfriends XJ). I was starting to think they all did not work until I finally found one that worked.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-17-2021, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I'll do some circuit tracing, see if I can figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
your comment "As said, mine is just like your '94XJ_wiper.pdf'."
My post #4 comment explains the problem. read the * asterisk - this diagram issue is typical
good luck.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-17-2021, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
XJsRule
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yeh, wish there was a way to bench-test these modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
I had to go through about 3-4 junkyard wiper modules before I found one that worked.
I did this twice (for my YJ and for my girlfriends XJ). I was starting to think they all did not work until I finally found one that worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in