I towed a Grand Wagoneer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-18-2020, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I towed a Grand Wagoneer

I had a couple of Saginaw four speed transmissions on Craigslist. A guy from Jersey calls and wants them for an old pickup truck. He comes over today in an ancient Grand Wagoneer with the old AMC 360 engine. It's a clean solid vehicle and I could not believe how nice the paint was. We load up the transmissions and he leaves. Soon after I get a call and he says he is stranded on the highway- he said it sounds like a no fuel situation. I take a gas can, jumpers, tools, and a tow chain and go see what's up. Sure enough, it is not getting fuel. But somewhere along the line a stealership removed the carburetor and replaced it with a Holley Pro-Jection unit. I am familiar with that and started checking stuff. Right off the bat the stealership did not secure the fuse holder in the line they ran off the battery to the electric fuel pump. It came apart in my hands. Fixed that and still no fuel. I could not find where they mounted the fuel pump so we were stuck at that point. He wanted a tow back to Jersey but the tow company said he had to get off the Interstate first. That is when I got my tow chain and hooked it up. Luckily he was old school like me. "I am the gas and you are the brakes, I said. I will hold my hand up when you need to brake for both of us". He did just fine and my XJ towed him a couple of miles to the next exit. Another good reason to have the trailer hitch. I ran the chain from the hitch to his front leaf spring shackle. Once on a side street he called for the tow and thanked me for going over and above. But that's what Jeep folk do, right?

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
One time at the intersection in front of my house there was an XJ who's lug nuts decided to fall off all at once and the tire made it around the corner before he did. I just happened to have my floor jack in the back so i pulled up behind him and the cop that was on scene and got his jeep high enough to get the wheel back on with some new lug nuts. I was glad i just happened to have my jack with me randomly that one day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NP242/skidplates/RC4.5"LA kit/33x12.5mudclaws/15x10rim/sliders&flares/trussed-locked8.8/winchbumper
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I keep wondering where they had put the fuel pump for the injection. I used that same Pro-Jection on a 1980 Firebird to pass emissions, which it did. I had to mount the pump to the frame rail back by the gas tank. We looked and could not find it anywhere. The 360 had the mechanical fuel pump block-off plate so it had that type of pump originally. So was there ever a fuel injection option on Grand Wagoneers back then? If so then maybe they used a fuel injection gas tank with the pump inside. And if that is the case then it sure did not last very long. Or if it is externally mounted it crapped out fast too.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
As far as I know the FSJ GW always had a carb.

Could be that the pump was inside the tank on the pickup tube,
there are several on the market.

Whats over that next ridge?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in