I need a hand - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
KantoRaticate20

I need a hand

So I have a 1996 rwd Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 litre straight 6. For the life of me i can't find any transmissions for this thing under $500. I'm a high school student and I need to get this car running so I can take myself to and from work. Any help finding a new tranny or servicing the one I do have would be greatly appreciated. There is a transmission currently in the Cherokee. It knocks almost every time she changes gears (but especially so from 1st to 2nd). Any help diagnosing this would be a godsend. Last year she had a complete engine rebuild too so that side of things is a-ok luckily. This is my first time doing anything intensive mechanically, but I'm excited to get my hands dirty! (Repost in the correct category because I put this in the wrong place the first time)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Do the super flush and see what happens. What kind of shape is the current transmission fluid in? Red or dark brown? Does it smell burnt?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why do you think the transmission has failed ? What inspection and testing backs up your diagnosis ?

The first thing to do is to determine exactly what is knocking ??? Inspect the motor mounts, and the bolts attaching them to the engine block. Inspect the bolts that hold the trans to the engine. Inspect the transmission mount. Inspect the exhaust hangers. Inspect the flex plate for loose bolts and/or cracks. Inspect the u-joints.

A faulty AW-4 transmission does not typically make knocking noises.

I very strongly suggest you invest $7.95 for a genuine Jeep Service Manual from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com and also use the Google to locate the AW-4 Diagnostics and Service Manual that can be downloaded for free.
cruiser54 and slickrock steve like this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
KantoRaticate20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Why do you think the transmission has failed ? What inspection and testing backs up your diagnosis ?

The first thing to do is to determine exactly what is knocking ??? Inspect the motor mounts, and the bolts attaching them to the engine block. Inspect the bolts that hold the trans to the engine. Inspect the transmission mount. Inspect the exhaust hangers. Inspect the flex plate for loose bolts and/or cracks. Inspect the u-joints.

A faulty AW-4 transmission does not typically make knocking noises.

I very strongly suggest you invest $7.95 for a genuine Jeep Service Manual from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com and also use the Google to locate the AW-4 Diagnostics and Service Manual that can be downloaded for free.

Luckily we already have one such manual. I'll start pouring through it to better understand the car. Once the NC rainy weather starts to go away I'll take out the tranny and give it a good long look for the things you've mentioned along with giving it a flush like the other guy said.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2020, 10:07 PM
slickrock steve

It sounds like a flex plate is cracked to me. That was what went on my 96, with an AW-4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in