I can not get ATM cooling line fittings off! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
OldNewJeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I can not get ATM cooling line fittings off!

Okay, up front I have looked at several forums. Tried all the recommended tools, nothing has worked. I will just replace each of them completely.

I wish something would work. It would be nice to be done with this project.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2015, 04:50 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewJeeper View Post
Okay, up front I have looked at several forums. Tried all the recommended tools, nothing has worked. I will just replace each of them completely.

I wish something would work. It would be nice to be done with this project.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Just what is your problem exactly?

What are you calling ATM?

'Each of them' what?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
OldNewJeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I am sorry. I was not very helpful with that rant.

My stock radiator failed. I decided to replace it with a 3 row since I could get one fairly easily. The problem it she Automatic Transmission (ATM) lines have those darned "quick connect" lines. I purchased all the tools that I could find, and not one of them seems to have any impact at all. I have noted that others have had to fashion their own tools as the commercial ones did not work for them either.

I am left with replacing the entire line or just cutting into it and using old fashioned hose clamps.

I can not get them to release regardless of where the ears are on the fittings. Even those that appear completely clear will not budge. I have looked mag glass and the ears are completely bent back but I can not break the line free.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 AM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewJeeper View Post
I am sorry. I was not very helpful with that rant.

My stock radiator failed. I decided to replace it with a 3 row since I could get one fairly easily. The problem it she Automatic Transmission (ATM) lines have those darned "quick connect" lines. I purchased all the tools that I could find, and not one of them seems to have any impact at all. I have noted that others have had to fashion their own tools as the commercial ones did not work for them either.

I am left with replacing the entire line or just cutting into it and using old fashioned hose clamps.

I can not get them to release regardless of where the ears are on the fittings. Even those that appear completely clear will not budge. I have looked mag glass and the ears are completely bent back but I can not break the line free.
See if you can squirt some Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil in the QD. Several applications. Then tap the tool in to place with a blunt instrument. Grab the QD with pliers and twist/pull on the QD. You may trash the QD in the process and require a new line.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Robert_B

I just replaced my radiator for second time. First time (5 yrs ago), I cut the metal tube AT at the radiator to get the radiator out of the way. I applied ample amounts of penetrating oil to the disconnect. I used some small flat blade screwdrivers to force the retaining springs back while pulling the metal tube out with vise grips. You need four hands. Second time, I bought cheap plastic release tools from the auto store. It was still not all that easy because it's hard to get a good direct pull on the hose while forcing the tool into the disconnect in such a tight location. You have to push the hose toward the tube while forcing the tool into the disconnect (opposite direction) to get the spring to fully release the tube.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-09-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
OldNewJeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get that to work but decided to replace the entire hose back to the transmission due to cracking and couple of kinks from previous work.

I apologize for taking so long to post reply. Death in the family.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
OldNewJeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
That is, I was able to use both Robert B and CCKen advice together to get the bloody thing apart. IT looks like someone in the past had dinged the lines. Actually the retaining clips are gone as well. Just the ends holding the lines. Do I need to replace them?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Robert_B

You don't want any lines dangling loose anywhere. Last thing you want is to be out on a trail and have a stick jump up and rip out your tranny line. Replace the clips or otherwise secure the lines in the proper locations.

Tags
fitting , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in