How should a lifted XJ drive? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

How should a lifted XJ drive?

As I posted in another thread a second ago, I had a shop put a small lift kit on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, they used a Detroit Axle front-end rebuild kit I purchased and I bought new 15x8" wheels for it with 30x9.5x15 Mastercraft ATX tires they offered. Before the work was done, everything up front was worn out but it still handled good, was peppy as heck and ran 75 - 80mph with no problems. Now, 70 mph is pushing her, she handles like a pig ice skating with 2 shoes missing blades and the front end is popping and cracking to beat the band. One thing, I can't put my finger on though, it feels like it is fighting itself going down the road or like everything under her is binding up. Is this normal results from doing a baby lift and bigger tires? Man, I hope not.

Last edited by HoundDogXJ; 10-16-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Describe the lift kit parts in full and complete detail. Were all the steering parts replaced as well ? Were the axle and sway bar bushings replaced ? What kinda shop did the work ? All the bolt and fastener torques we re-checked after 100 miles ? Who did the alignment after the lift ?

If you rode in my 99 with 1" lift and 30x9.5, my 98 with a 3" lift and 31x10.5, or my 00 with a 5.5" lift and you were wearing a blindfold, you would be lucky to guess which one you were in. There should be absolutely no noises or major handling issues with a properly installed lift kit.
skjeep and underscore like this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 20 Old 10-16-2020, 07:51 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Were things retorqued at ride height? Has it had the alignment checked since the lift?

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ

post #4 of 20 Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Describe the lift kit parts in full and complete detail. Were all the steering parts replaced as well ? Were the axle and sway bar bushings replaced ? What kinda shop did the work ? All the bolt and fastener torques we re-checked after 100 miles ? Who did the alignment after the lift ?

If you rode in my 99 with 1" lift and 30x9.5, my 98 with a 3" lift and 31x10.5, or my 00 with a 5.5" lift and you were wearing a blindfold, you would be lucky to guess which one you were in. There should be absolutely no noises or major handling issues with a properly installed lift kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Were things retorqued at ride height? Has it had the alignment checked since the lift?
Fully professional 4x4 shop did the work. That's all they do. Yes to the realignment. Yes to the ride height or that is what they told me. The new track bar could not be installed due to the old one being "locked in." All new bushings, shocks, leaf springs, Detroit Axle front end rebuild kit, ball joints...I'm just glad to hear it shouldn't be driving like a horse cart with Baja suspension pieces tacked on. My fear is they shanked my hinny. I hope they sleep good this weekend, restitution is going to be a Witch.
The one statement that sticks in my mind the most is, "This is what I get trying to be nice to someone and fix their POS. I should never have touched it!" The absolute gall of this punk. I just paid their shop $2500(+) and he did me a favor? Plus the other shop $120 to fix my brakes so I could drive home.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

Quote:

I tried to upload the word document with all the work done, pictures included but keep getting error notices. Suggestions?
post #6 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do not think you can upload documents to Jeepforum. You can take pictures of documents, host them on a website like www.fototime.com, and then post pictures of the documents.

I still want to see the list of parts installed, but the lack of a new trackbar catches my attention.
HoundDogXJ likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 09:40 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah you cant post pix like this...
Attached Thumbnails
100_5029.jpg  

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #8 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

Finally have pictures

Here are some pictures that offer more insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension thumbnail.jpg   American Racing Ansen AR969.jpg   Rough Country thumbnail.jpg   Steering stabilizer thumbnail.jpg   Lifted XJ thumbnail.jpg  

Attached Images

post #9 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

Just some more information. I pulled out of my drive and it may be a 2 inch drop to the flat pavement and the squeaking and popping was stunning. Dang jacklegs!!! Blood pressure is spiked! Before my old girl was worn out in the suspension department but squeaks pops or rattles were so minor...man I can't stand a liar or a thief but both inside a business should be enough to get that shop closed down.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 12:10 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I see a new trackbar, did it get installed ? I do not see any new control arms, so did new control arm bushing get installed ?

At 2" of lift, a stock track bar will be slightly too short causing the front axle to not be centered under the body. and can cause noticeable odd behaviors when the supspension compresses.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

Good point on the track bar.

Quote:
I see a new trackbar, did it get installed ? I do not see any new control arms, so did new control arm bushing get installed ?

At 2" of lift, a stock track bar will be slightly too short causing the front axle to not be centered under the body. and can cause noticeable odd behaviors when the suspension compresses.
The control arms they provided are installed. As I said earlier, they couldn't install the track bar. Your analysis may be the issue behind the weird handling, popping and cracking I'm hearing. Dang bums!!!
post #12 of 20 Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The front axle should be centered +/- 1/4 inch or less under the body. You can simply measure both sides from the same feature on the tire tread or to a carpenter's level pressed to the tire sidewalls to either the shaft of the shocks, or to the mirror image features of the unibody.

A worn track bar or ovaled axle side track bar bracket bolt holes can cause clunking or knocking, and an offset front axle can cause odd handling behaviors, along with additional stresses on the track bar, causing additional clunking.

I strongly suspect track bar issues.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #13 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

CJ7-Tim is the man!

Quote:
The front axle should be centered +/- 1/4 inch or less under the body. You can simply measure both sides from the same feature on the tire tread or to a carpenter's level pressed to the tire sidewalls to either the shaft of the shocks, or to the mirror image features of the unibody.

A worn track bar or ovaled axle side track bar bracket bolt holes can cause clunking or knocking, and an offset front axle can cause odd handling behaviors, along with additional stresses on the track bar, causing additional clunking.

I strongly suspect track bar issues.
I watched several folks demonstrate Track Bar issues on You Tube last night and one young man, man I wish I remembered his name - he was wearing a motocross helmet - did such a great job explaining how to spot the issue you describe. I included pictures showing the axle is off a touch too much towards the drivers side. When you spend your hard earned money and you depend on someone to just do the right thing...heck, just do your job!!!
Attached Thumbnails
driver side thumbnail.jpg   passenger side thumbnail.jpg  
post #14 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 03:59 PM
W4JDZ

Take an ad out on Craigslist:

If you want to screw up your Jeep or other 4X4, take it to xyz company. After they work on it your vehicle will be undriveable. Their work includes clunking, rattles and a total lack of control at no extra cost. Be sure to call (phone #) to increase your blood pressure and lower your bank account.

Of course, don’t put your name or number in the ad.
OCDXJ likes this.

Some people just call me Doug.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-18-2020, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
HoundDogXJ

I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4JDZ View Post
Take an ad out on Craigslist:

If you want to screw up your Jeep or other 4X4, take it to xyz company. After they work on it your vehicle will be undriveable. Their work includes clunking, rattles and a total lack of control at no extra cost. Be sure to call (phone #) to increase your blood pressure and lower your bank account.

Of course, don’t put your name or number in the ad.
Great idea! If I don't do it today, I'll try to do it tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in